Author Topic: Welcome to the Forester Forum  (Read 3377 times)

January 01, 2011, 03:27:12 PM
Read 3377 times

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey guys and gals

Welcome to the Forester forum. Lets grow this little Forester fraternity to the largest forester owners group in South Africa!

Any questions or suggestions, Pm me.

Cheers

Steve
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

August 17, 2013, 01:34:13 AM
Reply #1

tavin5000

Thanks for accept my registration, hello to every one!

October 16, 2013, 06:15:39 AM
Reply #2

Charles Walker

Hi Guys, please advise, my son is 17 and I would like to buy him a Forester next year, I don't have bags of money, so here are my 2 questions, 1). can I get a reliable Forested in the region of R 60 000 ?? and 2) is it ok to buy one with up to 200 000km on the clock.
Regarded,
Charles

November 15, 2013, 09:23:41 AM
Reply #3

sAWDfish

Hi Guys
So glad to be a part of this fraternity:p

November 15, 2013, 02:24:40 PM
Reply #4

HenkL

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: Charles Walker;14664
Hi Guys, please advise, my son is 17 and I would like to buy him a Forester next year, I don't have bags of money, so here are my 2 questions, 1). can I get a reliable Forested in the region of R 60 000 ?? and 2) is it ok to buy one with up to 200 000km on the clock.
Regarded,
Charles

Charles, guess it all boils down to how much you are prepared to spend up front vs money spend keeping the car on the road:)

My son also tried to convince me that it would make a better car than his Ford KA - for him that is.

Reality is however, it IS heavier on fuel than a 1300cc. It IS more expensive every time you take it for a service (You can service a Renault / Polo for under R700 - I see advertised), it IS faster, not sure if I want to let my son drive a faster car....wait, I have the XT.....

What I can say is that I got mine with 235000 km on the odo and it runs like a new car. Engine, and most other mechanicals are strong AND it has very poor resale value - meaning that you should be able to get a good deal for a lot of car.

Decisions....decisions...:)

April 24, 2014, 08:07:25 AM
Reply #5

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Personally there is issues with getting Foz for young kid

But then again you have the advantage of having car with AWD and good suspension under them.
and they are overall quite safe if you happen to be in a crash
and the NA models is faster but not really a rocketship
I think the killer is the day to day running cost
Small 1.4 Petrol car will give 13 – 17 KM/l in the city (depending on how it is driven and model)
Small Diesel will do 17 – 25 KMH/l (depending on how it is driven and model)
N/A forester will probably give 9 – 12KM/L (depending on how it is driven)
And obviously the service cost
Big one is the obviously the 100000K services at reasonable pricing you are probably looking at R8500+
Then your normal services is also not cheap but if you know good mechanic then you can get most of them done for under R1000 (oil, and filters with basic checks)
Advisable to replace gearbox oils every 50000K’s
And then tires aren’t cheap and if you have to replace it is 4 at a time
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

April 24, 2014, 10:55:47 AM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Having driven nearly all of the small cars of today, I would far rather own a 13 year old forester than any of the new entry level models.

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

August 10, 2017, 09:16:19 AM
Reply #7

09XS

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys.

Thanks for the forum. Look forward to meeting you guys.
2009 Forester XS
Decat and that's that...for now
2004 Triumph Speed Four
Current Company Vehicle: 2017 Mazda CX-5 2.0 Dynamic Auto

August 24, 2017, 03:21:44 PM
Reply #8

Stella

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello.

I am glad to see that there is a forum for for Forester Fans.

Our first Forester "Stella I" is a 2004 2.5X. It had done nearly 200 000km when we bought it at Bloemfontein Subaru for R60 000. It is still going strong @ 245 000km.

My Forester "Stella II" is a 2010 2.5XT. Unfortunately when I bought it Bloemfontein Subaru had closed down, so I got it from a second hand car dealer. It had about 185 000km on the clock. Unfortunately, after one great trip, its turbocharger has packed up. I suspect the previous owner was a cowboy who thrashed it, but I am still puzzling how best to get it fixed reasonably cheaply. Does anyone have any suggestions?

August 25, 2017, 06:39:49 AM
Reply #9

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

August 27, 2017, 10:39:50 PM
Reply #10

mauritsvw

• View Profile
    • Email
Stella, maybe try Turbocharger Repair Centre
5 Coro St, East End, Bloemfontein?
2012 Forester XS MT - Steel Silver (Vossie 1)
2006 Forester XT AT - Platinum Silver (Vossie 2)
Ex 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS Sportwagon - Aqua Blue (Scoob y)

March 17, 2018, 07:49:54 PM
Reply #11

Hew

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Fellow Forester Friends
I have recently acquired 2 x Foresters, both 2003's, one white with sun-roof and the other silver. both have 220k Kms on the clock. I had both UNI chipped and remapped by Mario and his guys in Polokwane. They did a superb job since they have a 4x4 dyno in their workshop, which resulted in a +12% improvement in both torque and BHP!!
My wife and I were both Happy-Chappies until my car the white one had the tensioner pulley for the air-con pump seize, causing the belt to break.  This damaged the timing belt housing and bits of the 'fan belt' got tangled with the timing-belt and I now have a motor with several bent Inlet and Exhaust valves.
I discovered this myself, when I took the motor out and removed the cylinder heads.
Any advice on the most cost effective way to repair and get the car back on the road?
Hew

March 28, 2018, 06:06:18 PM
Reply #12

Tradman

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Everybody. I don't own a Forester YET but joined as I'm looking to buy a 2006 XT so any tips are greatly appreciated!

March 29, 2018, 06:49:31 AM
Reply #13

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Everybody. I don't own a Forester YET but joined as I'm looking to buy a 2006 XT so any tips are greatly appreciated!

Nice one! I have the '06 Foz xt SportShift. Very lekker car. First things first, exhaust, intercooler, vf48 and tune  :) You can thank me later. Also, check when or if the radiator has been replaced, we need them every 100k kms, but aluminium end tanks on it are the best. Check CVs too, mine were tired, as well as the end links. Good luck with the search!!
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI