Author Topic: What has broken on your Forester on a trip?  (Read 2706 times)

April 30, 2013, 11:38:32 PM
Reply #15

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I see these error codes mentioned a lot. How does one see these codes? I've got a 2005 SG.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 02, 2013, 08:17:37 AM
Reply #16

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't replace the cat, plenty $$$$$$$$$$$

How much does the sensor cost..?

How much would it cost to remove the cat and spacing out the sensor..?

If you replace the sensor and all is working, then great.
You will still have to remove the cat as the car gets older.
They don't function too well with age.

If the readings of the sensors are the same, then your cat isn't working.
De catting and spacing the second sensor is so that the readings from the sensors are different.
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

May 02, 2013, 09:43:46 AM
Reply #17

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: berndp;11520
Question: Why move it, if it has no affect on the engine?

You move it so that you get rid of the engine light when removing the cats. If it is spaced out it still reads differently from the first sensor and thinks the cats are still working.

Erasing the engine code with a reader does not solve the problem, it simply comes back.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

May 02, 2013, 10:40:54 AM
Reply #18

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Is there a way to "test" the cats? (pressure drop test) or something?
My car has no flashing CEL / Cruise lights(yet). i assume this means all is ok, even with the cats / sensors ?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 02, 2013, 11:37:35 AM
Reply #19

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Quote from: berndp;11665
Is there a way to "test" the cats? (pressure drop test) or something?
My car has no flashing CEL / Cruise lights(yet). i assume this means all is ok, even with the cats / sensors ?

Maybe the dealer has a way to test.

They usually only last about 150k km to 200k km.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

May 02, 2013, 09:56:43 PM
Reply #20

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 09, 2013, 08:39:43 PM
Reply #21

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
So 567 viewings later and a royal 20 postings........
?.......what spares di I take with?

Some plastic clips, ...... Cable ties will do.
SLS shocks. ?...... No real trip threat.
Radiator:-)  bucket of warter will do.

Gentlemen do yourselves a favour, check ot the spare parts lists our Landrover buddies take along......... Even a spare gear lever.

I do declare the Forester is the most reliable 4 * 4 on the road.  I will confirm when I get back on the 20th August:)

July 09, 2013, 10:47:21 PM
Reply #22

DerrickA

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi all,
(sorry, posting in this thread re vehicle issues, but could also go in trip reports)
My wife and I returned 10 days ago from a 3 week trip (via Augrabies and Kgalagadi - through Polentswa and Kaa gate) to Botswana (Moremi) and back via Namibia.
We were accompanied by our daughter and son-in-law in their Outback 2006, and had not one issue, mechanical, tyres, or otherwise, on the 5500+ km trip.

Both vehicles were heavily laden with camping and associated gear, e.g. 20l extra fuel each (in jerry can), and 30l water each, plus usual camping gear.

As both our vehicle's (our's was 2007 SG Forester  XS manual) had the same size tyres, we did not take an additional spare, but in any event, the need did not arise.

I replaced the Forester rear SLS suspension with standard X shocks and coils before the trip (after a great deal of prior hassle with the SLS).

We carried no significant extra spares, other than compressor and seed nets (home made), and Zartek radios for convoy communication - a real plus!!)

I acknowledge that this was a dry season trip, but from Polentswa (on the Bots side of Kgalagadi), through Kaa gate to Zutshwa, and in Moremi (to 3rd bridge), there were significant sandy twee-spoor tracks.
We only had one instance where a vehicle got stuck on a high sand middel-mannetjie, but were offered a tow-out by a local tour operator's Land Cruiser, after we were well on our way to digging it out  (thanks to Uncharted Africa Expeditions :-)

What was interesting was the interest from the Botswana National Parks staff at the entrance to Moremi, our arrival at 3rd Bridge campsite, and exit from the park, at the fact that our seemingly unsuitable vehicles could, and did, make it.
The only other vehicles in the area that we saw, were Land Cruiser 70 series, Land Rovers, Jeeps, and 4x4 bakkies.

If you're sensible, recognise your limitations, and go slowly, you'll be surprised at where you can go.

Thanks to our trusty vehicles, we had a remarkable trip, seeing a myriad of game, and had 2 lions visit our campsite during the night, with terrifying sound effects (within 2 metres of our tents) at 3rd Bridge.

Regards to all
Derrick

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:20:48 PM by DerrickA »
The road is long, with many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where, who knows where...
* SG Forester 2.5 XS 2007 Manual - Urban grey
* Aluminium bash plate,
* Yoko AT/S tyres (standard size)
* Rear SLS shocks replaced  with standard X shocks and coils

July 11, 2013, 08:21:41 PM
Reply #23

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Derrick for posting your report. Mrs Bushdriver was delighted to read it as well. Just nine sleeps to go......

July 19, 2013, 07:21:36 AM
Reply #24

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
I have one question for the guys that got SLS failure on long corrugated roads

Did you air down your tires at all? (just want to know for reference)

For the guys who don't know on really badly corrugated roads it is strongly advisable to air down so that the tires transmit less of the vibrations through to the shocks
However when doing this you need to remember to lower your speed too doing 200 with aired down tires is looking for blowout as the tires heats up more

good article on this for those who don't have experience with this
http://www.offroadaussie.com/2013/02/4wd-tips-and-tricks-tyre-pressure/

Ok I have created new poll on this so please check it out
http://www.foresterforum.co.za/showthread.php?t=1386
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:27:30 AM by Veneficus »
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

August 24, 2013, 09:48:24 AM
Reply #25

Bushdriver

• View Profile
    • Email
Back from Namibia and Botswans, 7000km.   4000 on dirt about 1000 in sand and 1000 on bad dirt. Heavy load,  3 x 25lt Water, all provisions for two weeks at a time and all the camping gear.  Roof rack with wood, recovery gear (not used), 3x 20lt steel Jerry cans, extra spare wheel,

NOTHING broke, came loose or failed. Even self leveling shocks are still fine with car now on 83000km.

A lot of the gravel road driving was a high speed (130 - 180 kph). We never got stuck in sand, not even fully loaded in the dunes or loose riverbed sand at Sousesvlei where Landies and Tunas were getting stuck big time.

So check the oil and water, take a pump and some snot-proppe and a good tyre gauge and go drive on the wild side with confidence.