Author Topic: KZN - Breakfast Run through the Valley of 1000 Hills  (Read 668 times)

June 24, 2013, 04:29:57 PM
Read 668 times

GundaGunda

This is just a “toe in the water” post.

I had the first major maintenance issue with my Forester last week – a headlight bulb blew – and while they were replacing it for me at Durban Subaru, I wandered about the showroom floor and bumped into Paul – purveyor of fine motor vehicles and sometimes coffee.

A while ago I showed him a few pics of trips I had done through the Valley of 1000 hills on my motor-bike, and in the Forester, and he asked how he could find his way to the spots where I took the pictures.  I mentioned that it’s a bit tricky to find your way about the rabbit warren of back roads without a bit of help from someone who has been there a few times, or unless you have a GPS pre-loaded with the tracks.

But I said I would be happy to lead a small convoy of three or four vehicles on a trip through the valley, and this idea was born.

Our idea – very rough at this stage – is that we would do a morning trip over a weekend some time, and end up having a lunch, or may be a braai/picnic at the end.

So this is to get the ball rolling and to provide a placeholder to post the plans if and when they develop.

Paul will forward a link to this page to Soob owners on his email list.  
To give an idea of some of the things to see along the way I have put this little montage together of places we could go and see.

June 25, 2013, 12:17:48 PM
Reply #1

PaulC

• View Profile
    • Email
Great! Thanks.

Hopefully we'll get some takers.
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

June 25, 2013, 07:39:57 PM
Reply #2

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Now I really wish I could fold the map so that you guys were within an hours drive!!!
Amazing pics - will look you guys up if I ever get that side of the country again.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

June 26, 2013, 10:16:58 AM
Reply #3

GundaGunda

Quote from: PieterT;12635
Now I really wish I could fold the map so that you guys were within an hours drive!!!
Amazing pics - will look you guys up if I ever get that side of the country again.

Most Welcome - Happy to show you around.

June 28, 2013, 12:25:02 PM
Reply #4

Dash

• View Profile
    • Email
2006 Forester XT with 20G turbo
2013 Outback 2.0D CVT
ex- 2007 Forester XT
ex 2008 modified Forester ProDrive
ex-2006 Forester XT

June 28, 2013, 02:51:21 PM
Reply #5

PaulC

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: Dash;12709
I'd be keen for this.

Great, I thought that you might be. :)
3 Outbacks in a row :D
Currently 2006 Forester 2.5 X

June 28, 2013, 03:26:47 PM
Reply #6

GundaGunda

Looks like we have a quorum.

But since the quorum was one, that was not hard !!

June 28, 2013, 04:17:08 PM
Reply #7

Dash

• View Profile
    • Email
Ha ha. Would be good to wait a while until a larger group gathers, the offroading guys are always a bit slower on the uptake! :)
2006 Forester XT with 20G turbo
2013 Outback 2.0D CVT
ex- 2007 Forester XT
ex 2008 modified Forester ProDrive
ex-2006 Forester XT

June 29, 2013, 12:33:30 PM
Reply #8

GundaGunda

Quote from: Dash;12716
Ha ha. Would be good to wait a while until a larger group gathers, the offroading guys are always a bit slower on the uptake! :)

Yup - But as a kick-off I would not like to have more than four vehicles.

But if the pack was a bit bigger we could split into two groups. I have two GPSs that I can load with the tracks, and I could give one to the other group.  

Going into the valley tomorrow by bike. Pinetown, Inanda, Umhloti Valley, Montebello, Ematateni and back via Bruyn's Hill and Nagle Dam.

Going to show a friend the places I found on this ride :-

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=123220.0

But you can wear out two Foresters in the Valley and never see all there is to see.

July 02, 2013, 09:54:30 AM
Reply #9

GundaGunda

Quote from: GundaGunda;12721

. . . .

Going to show a friend the places I found on this ride :-

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=123220.0

But you can wear out two Foresters in the Valley and never see all there is to see.

Lovely ride out through the valley and out on the north side :-

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=128093.0