Author Topic: tow car of the year  (Read 960 times)

March 01, 2014, 05:56:17 PM
Read 960 times

F

• Personal Text
    Subaru fan, although I drive a LR now.
    • View Profile
    • Email
So ignition tv had a series on that wanted to test the best tow suv. The line up was impressive.  To name a few: the landrover freelander,outback, the fortuner, trailblazer, pajero sport, sportage, santa fe, tiguan, kuga, crv, wrangler and the pathfinder.
Basically the wanted a diesel automatic suv and the criteria was that it had to tow well. (I'm not a tower, so I wouldn't give myself out as an expert)
Top three : kia and hyundai (basically the same) and doing us proud the subie (2.d0 cvt)
Winner turned out to be the subaru!
So subaru please please please please bring out the diesel cvt forester...... did I say please?
2011 Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 HSE. BFG A/T tyres, other goodies still to come.
Ex: 2006 Forester XS manual; sump protector; 24mm LSS lift kit; thule roof rack and roof box; rally armor m/flaps.
Ex: 2005 Maxda mx5, supercharged. Then my boy was born...

March 01, 2014, 09:58:52 PM
Reply #1

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
I was very impressed with the cvt diesel Outback. Forester with same drivetrain should be amazing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

March 01, 2014, 11:43:42 PM
Reply #2

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
I posted elsewhere wanting to know when the Forester diesel will be launched locally.
I want to buy the Outback diesel, but if the Forester is launched before mid year, I might just get one of those.
So Subaru SA, when can we expect it?

March 02, 2014, 12:09:20 AM
Reply #3

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
My 2c - the only problem I have with my Forester is that the manual is crap - so please bring the cvt - that will make it a brilliant car!!
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

March 04, 2014, 07:19:37 AM
Reply #4

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
was good news to receive for the Outback!!

Hoping that the Forester Diesel will still be launched this year, but no news to when thus far.....
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

March 12, 2014, 08:18:48 PM
Reply #5

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
You guys should see how some okes on the 4x4community forum reacted to this, saying stoopid stuff like, "I'd like to see a subaru tow my boat on the beach and launch it".
This after the original poster went to pains to explain that the test & judging was aimed at the average road towing ability of medium-sized/compact SUV under a certain price level, main criteria being stability, etc...
Thou shalt not commit slander against the almightiness of a Tuna (even though they tend to go belly up quite easily... that is, if they don't get stolen first)
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

March 13, 2014, 07:45:08 AM
Reply #6

Musashi

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: westcoaster;16894
You guys should see how some okes on the 4x4community forum reacted to this, saying stoopid stuff like, "I'd like to see a subaru tow my boat on the beach and launch it".
This after the original poster went to pains to explain that the test & judging was aimed at the average road towing ability of medium-sized/compact SUV under a certain price level, main criteria being stability, etc...
Thou shalt not commit slander against the almightiness of a Tuna (even though they tend to go belly up quite easily... that is, if they don't get stolen first)

There will always be sore losers  :-)
Evil will triumph when good men do nothing.

March 13, 2014, 07:04:48 PM
Reply #7

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
I can say from my own experience.

My diesel forester tows my boat - just over a tonne - better than any Hilux or Fortuner or Triton.
Towing my in-laws Jurgens Palma is a breeze as well at over 1.6 ton.
I have launched my boat in the sand at Clanwilliam a few times - so no problem there either!

I can honestly say that I have never had any vehicle tow with so much ease, comfort and cornering stability.

The only problem I have with mine is the manual box is not smooth and takes a lot of concentration to get the rig going smoothly. Thus a cvt will be brilliant!
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

March 14, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
Reply #8

Dash

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: PieterT;16908
I can say from my own experience.

My diesel forester tows my boat - just over a tonne - better than any Hilux or Fortuner or Triton.
Towing my in-laws Jurgens Palma is a breeze as well at over 1.6 ton.
I have launched my boat in the sand at Clanwilliam a few times - so no problem there either!

I can honestly say that I have never had any vehicle tow with so much ease, comfort and cornering stability.

The only problem I have with mine is the manual box is not smooth and takes a lot of concentration to get the rig going smoothly. Thus a cvt will be brilliant!

Good feedback that PieterT, thanks.

Who knows, I might just end up buying another Subaru one day.

JPC, will you keep us updated on this (CVT diesel Forester) please? What happened to SSA in here by the way? Was cool to get a heads up directly from them for that short period.
2006 Forester XT with 20G turbo
2013 Outback 2.0D CVT
ex- 2007 Forester XT
ex 2008 modified Forester ProDrive
ex-2006 Forester XT

March 21, 2014, 07:54:50 AM
Reply #9

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
I think my next car will be the diesel cvt Outback
2005 Outback 3.0 R