Author Topic: Namibia, Apr 2014  (Read 3689 times)

April 22, 2014, 11:22:11 PM
Read 3689 times

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey guys
We just started the trip, will do proper report later, but here's a pic from leaving Jhb.
Roofrack up, 2nd spare and 2x Jerrys on the top.  The bike is being dragged along 'coz I'm supposed to be training for Sani2c...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

April 23, 2014, 08:07:08 AM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
subscribed.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 23, 2014, 11:23:44 AM
Reply #2

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
My subscription is also in :)
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

May 08, 2014, 08:03:39 PM
Reply #3

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Update asseblief?
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

May 09, 2014, 11:49:01 AM
Reply #4

stofstreep

• View Profile
    • Email
I want to follow this one too.

Enjoy every minute of it!!

Broom! BROOOOOOM!

2005 XT The Vicious Orange

June 11, 2014, 11:06:34 PM
Reply #5

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
At last I got a chance - apologies for the delay!

Everyone we’ve ever met that had been to Namibia, had loved it and so this trip’s been coming a long time.  It just always seemed so far… as the first leg from Jozi to Windhoek indicated, nearly 1,400km, just to get to the starting point!
My manager at work and I had welded up a roofrack to carry a 2nd spare wheel and extra juice, as all indications were that we would write off at least one tyre and of course I wanted to venture into some less populated areas with a thirsty S-edition.  On the roof we had 2x20l jerry cans, a 2nd spare wheel and my old mountain bike, as I was supposed to be training for Sani2c during the trip. Inside: 50l fridge, foldable table and assorted camping gear and my other toys that ALWAYS get dragged along: surfboard and kitesurf gear.  So the car was pretty full. Pic 005 is loaded up at departure.
We got away late, so drove via Lobatse to Jwaneng in Bots, the last 3 hours in the dark, which is not advisable.  Our trip almost ended before the border, as 3 donkeys wandered across the road - you can’t see them early enough in the dark.  After scrubbing some mileage off the tyres, I saw we weren’t gonna stop in time, so I got off the brakes and managed to slip through a gap between them, at about 80km/h.  The road to Windhoek via Kang & Gobabis is good, so we managed an average of 100km/h despite numerous slowdowns for cows and donkeys in Bots.
Stopped in Windhoek for two days, as I had some work to do there.  While there, we heard about an SA couple that had car trouble in a remote area and they were discovered after FIVE days…   Then we were eventually off to Etosha.  I never realised the pan itself is so huge - something like 4,600sqkm – roughly the area of Pretoria-Harties-Carltonville-Vereeniging-Boksburg.  Massive.  The pan was dry and creating a desert-like mirage, but the surrounding area green and the animals in good shape (pics 024-136).  What got us, was the crazy wide expanse and we were clicking away, only to realise after a while that you just can’t capture it on camera.

Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

June 11, 2014, 11:08:39 PM
Reply #6

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
We aimed West out of Etosha, into the Kaokoland – known to be pretty remote. We were heading for the coast, aiming for the most Northern entry we could get to without the permit we were supposed to have gotten in Windhoek.  We used the Tracks4Africa GPS map and found a road that seemed interesting.  Turning off the tar North of Kamanjab, the “road” turned out to be what you see in pic 199…  This trail followed the valley for some time (210).  The valley turned into a riverbed of soft sand, ranging from dry to damp to plain muddy - you can see how deep my tracks got in the wet stuff (224).  After a while, the tracks became unclear and despite having deflated to about 1.4 bar, the going just got tougher – we were running too deep in the sand and it felt we were about to get stuck with no one around.   After making a large-radius u-turn, I spotted what looked like the top of a beach umbrella (wtf!) in the distance on the riverbank.  It seemed we weren’t alone after all.  So I stopped and walked over to go ask for directions and a seasoned 4x4 guy appeared from behind the crest of the bank to meet me (I’m the white spot in the centre of the pic – gives you an idea of the river bed).  They were doing the same trip in two serious 4x4 vehicles (running on 1.2bar) and camping overnight on the bank, since it was late afternoon.  Apparently, the river had come down the previous night – hence the muddy areas.  He was from Windhoek and I could see from the way he looked at our car that he was wondering wtf we were doing there, but he was polite enough not to say it.  So, with directions obtained (“just follow the river”), we set off again, not really any more confidently than before, but at least knowing someone will be following us the next day.  Yes, we literally just went down the middle of the river bed  ::).  Having walked across the river bed, I kept the momentum up a bit more – there were treacherous spongy mud holes hidden in the otherwise innocent-looking damp sand and they were threatening to keep us from moving on.  The trail went in and out of the river bed, usually via dry sandy banks.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:50:00 PM by westcoaster »

June 11, 2014, 11:10:02 PM
Reply #7

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dusk in Nam is about 20mins – one moment the sun is setting and the next it’s dark!  In pic 231 you can see what I had to negotiate… I had to stop often to check the river bed.  Soon after this, I called it a day – too tricky to drive and so we camped right where we were.  Pic 243 shows where we woke up the next morning – simply incredible!
Towards the latter part of the trail, it got much trickier – we ended in a donga area with 3 trail options, all being deeply rutted in the dried mud and clearly too deep for a near-standard Foz.  We got lucky and managed to get through without damage.  As we entered the gorge, the trail became almost invisible (262) – I had to walk down to see if it was indeed the trail and whether we would make it (or if we would be able to reverse back out!). If you look closely, you’ll see the wheels almost at max articulation – and this was on the easy bit!  The last descent to the last river crossing (272) sometimes had TWO wheels off the ground!  The pics don’t do the trail justice.

June 11, 2014, 11:11:30 PM
Reply #8

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
After endless miles of gravel and incredible empty landscapes, we embarked on another mini-adventure – another “tweespoor” that split off a very quiet dirt road.  The high grass prompted me to install a makeshift seed net (321).  Again we ran out of daylight – this time, we turned back as the open plain provided no shelter against the wind.  At least we were treated to another spectacular sunset (322).  The next morning we were back and got a stark reminder of what could happen out in the veld – either a tyre blow-out or grass on the exhaust (333).  After a few hours’ solitary drive we got to the edge of the Messum crater and eased down the steep rocky trail (349).

June 11, 2014, 11:13:04 PM
Reply #9

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
This is an 18km-diameter sinkhole that apparently formed around the time the Gondwana continent split up (ie when Africa & S.America split).  Pic 357 gives some perspective of the Foz inside the crater.  Absolutely unbelievable landscapes.  Later on our return to SA, we heard that the couple that got stranded for five days, were stranded right here in the crater…  The road to the coast was fairly flat, but rough and twisty – ideal terrain for a too-fast drive in a Foz!
Later that day, we hit the coast at Cape Cross, just missing the swell.  I was really looking forward to a surf at a long-dreamed of spot, especially after all the dust.  We drove down the coast through Hentie’s (367) and on to Swakop.  After getting the necessary permits, we hit the dunes, planning to drive from Swakop to Dune 7 (376-392) – again unaccompanied.  Truly spectacular!  The Foz ran surprisingly well – but I learnt about hard and soft sand soon after – got stuck going DOWNHILL!!!!  This was tense – no one around, nothing to put under the wheels… I deflated to 1.0 bar and got lucky, but turning around and going back uphill in the soft dry sand was not so funny.  The Foz really just doesn’t have enough sidewall height for this terrain.  Also, you cannot really see where you’re going and what the sand is doing, especially with no other tracks to follow – a recipe for disaster, so we cut short that trip and took the proper road.

June 11, 2014, 11:14:21 PM
Reply #10

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
After this, despite having the permit, we abandoned the idea of a self-drive to Sandwich harbour, about 50km down the beach from Walvis with dunes running down to the water.  We paid and got driven in a Landy that ran pretty well (415).  Sandwich harbour is at the edge of restricted area and thus unspoilt (470).  This was probably the highlight of the entire Nam trip.  The return trip through the dunes was really cool, spectacular dunes (497).

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:43:18 PM by westcoaster »

June 11, 2014, 11:15:40 PM
Reply #11

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Landy driver treated us to a few serious drops and climbs – dropping down the incline in pic 500, for example.  Pic 527 shows the real angle – the view through the windscreen was like looking at a vertical wall of sand, except we were going around 35 deg downhill!
On the road South, I spotted a cave and we went for our picnic lunch, but only after a few failed attempts to get up the steep and axle-twisting incline – those round rocks caused us to slide backwards and sideways off the trail, despite all wheels being locked!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:43:54 PM by westcoaster »

June 11, 2014, 11:16:36 PM
Reply #12

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Then we got to Sossusvlei.  Touristy, but well worth it (592), as it provided some of the most beautiful scenery we’ve ever seen anywhere over the globe.  We made sure we were early and were first out into the dunes.  Truly gobsmacking.  We hung round the entire day to see the changing colours as the sun moved across.  Dooievlei (658, 660) is certainly the best part of Sossus.  We did get stuck in soft dry sand, this time due to the middelmannetjie being too high - we were dragging until she couldn't anymore.  Had to dig her out, took about an hour.  I eventually resorted to unpacking the car to get to the jack, lifted one wheel at a time and filled with sand under the wheel.  Then it was easy.  So if you're going offroad with a full car, keep the damn jack somewhere within easy reach!
After this, we spent two days going through the Kgalagadi TF park on the way back.  The Foz was “goed vuil” – much of the dried mud had dropped off, but was replaced by a decent layer of dust.  My idea of how a Foz should look (696)!
The ~6,000km Nam was a truly epic trip.  We were really nervous in a few places and were really lucky not to end in deep shit, mainly ‘coz fools rush in... I suppose these experiences also made the trip.  Nam really crept into our hearts and so we will be back to explore the Southern areas and the Caprivi!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:40:05 PM by westcoaster »

June 12, 2014, 08:03:19 AM
Reply #13

stofstreep

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow!!!! Great write-up!
Some really spectacular photos there and a great trip.
You should forward this to Weg/Getaway or similar.
Broom! BROOOOOOM!

2005 XT The Vicious Orange

June 12, 2014, 08:22:34 AM
Reply #14

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Spectacular!
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver