Author Topic: 2013 Forester XT on offroad trail  (Read 723 times)

June 17, 2014, 04:45:16 PM
Read 723 times

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
So my SJ XT had its first service so i figured she was old enough to go outside and play with some big boys! Did a morning at De Wildt and was hugely impressed by the vehicle. Definitely X mode a step up from my SH model. Having CVT (auto) made a difference to i think too (as opposed my manual SH) as she can crawl at whatever speed one wants. Also going up steep ascents with axle twisters she just keeps on going and if it feels like traction is getting lost and she slows, just a bit more foot and she just sorts herself out and keeps on going. As one Jeep guy said "you just canít stop this thing!Ē :) ;D

Again as we all know its real only weakness is its entry angle and low profile rubber. I didnít do Gert se Klip  ;D, tempted though, but with some better rubber and a slight lift I'd like to try it one day but she'll need a couple more services and scratches before that!! I did pretty much all that the big boys did except, due to clearance issues, some massively deep axle twisters that only modded jeeps seemed to be enjoying.

To prove I was trying hard enough I did manage to bash in the under-engine skid plate :( but it did its job though and no damage to the engine. I may have to remove it and straighten it one day, or hint, give it to LoopSooStroop to copy in a thicker grade metal and then put it back on ;).

No really good photos I'm afraid as firstly they donít really show much and secondly i was pretty much driving all the time and forgot about pics, but there are a few.

[attachment deleted by admin]

June 17, 2014, 06:33:46 PM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
ooi, thats not off road. Thats like a parking lot  :'(
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

June 17, 2014, 07:36:34 PM
Reply #2

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Uhm, no Steve, that is not quite a parking lot. Those axle twisters on 1st pic are around 60cm deep, although one can cut across and avoid the worst.  Some of the others not shown here are worse.  You can have another look at our earlier trip reports of De Wildt (Veneficus & myself)...

Nice one, 25boxer - I think you might've been the fisrt SJ on that trail!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:15:22 PM by westcoaster »
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

June 18, 2014, 01:53:15 AM
Reply #3

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Uhm, no Steve, that is not quite a parking lot. Those axle twisters on 1st pic are around 60cm deep, although one can cut across and avoid the worst.  Some of the others not shown here are worse.  You can have another look at our earlier trip reports of De Wildt (Veneficus & myself)...

Nice one, 25boxer - I think you might've been the fisrt SJ on that trail!

If only the forester had some form of articulation, then the 60cm would not be a problem :P
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

June 18, 2014, 09:42:15 AM
Reply #4

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
With regard to the articulation, I agree. Having said that, all independent type suspensions suffer from less articulation, which like in my Syncro, is not a problem as it has lockers plus decent clearance. On the Forester the traction control is getting really good now, although will ever match lockers obviously but where it still has a problem is front overhang. When the vehicle "dips" though the deeper ruts it's really hard not to catch the underbody of the frontal area. Probably where the Freelander still has an edge. The traction control is brilliant though and has clearly had a lot of work done on it. It really does "think" it's way out of the situation with much less fuss than my last Forester. I am suitably impressed with the new X mode.

West Coaster I think we should invite Steve for a trip there, but he can't bring his Jeep :D

June 18, 2014, 10:04:52 AM
Reply #5

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Articulation can be massively improved by disconnecting the sway bars. On my old Foz I drove around for almost two years without the sway bars, but I put them back with longer end links just a few months before my boo boo. Car just rolled too much at speed without them.

On my new Foz I'm going to look into this a bit harder, try to develop a reliable quick disconnect solution.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng