Author Topic: My XT mods  (Read 3183 times)

June 26, 2014, 02:24:01 PM
Read 3183 times

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
My mods list is slowly growing:

1. Cat back 63mm TNT exhaust
2. Divorced down pipe, fitted by Wayne Haye
3. Chett Tuned
4. Powerbrake slotted front disks and pads
4. Mishimoto radiator, ordered from Pyro
5. Hawkeye WRX front seats.
6. Heat shield for front right CV boot rubber.
7. Grill painted matt black

The cat-back was done a few months ago. Was just to get a better sound. It it not loud or droning, although the boxer burble is present, it is not exactly the sound I was after.

My brothers 06 STi was with Wayne for an engine rebuild, so I asked Wayne about a down pipe. He had a customer selling one at about half the price of a new one. That was installed. The only issue with the down pipe is that the "divorced pipe" part is to close to one of the steering knuckles, so it has to be modified a bit.

Then it was off the Chett for tuning, now boosts 1 bar, very happy with the result.

On the trip to Wayne to drop the car off, the right inner CV boot failed. I replaced it and made a shield from a thin piece of stainless steel to protect is from excessive heat from the down pipe. 

My front disks needed replacement, ordered Powerbrake front disks & Bendix pads.

Next was a Mishimoto radiator ordered from Pyro. After reading about all the radiator failures, even on one or two with aluminium tanks installed, I decided to do it right the first time.

I like the look of the WRX seats, but wanted to keep my side airbags.  Got a pair through Pyro.
The seats are plug and play. They do sit about 20mm lower in the car, and they also take up a bit more rear legroom. It looks like it will be possible to swap the rails with the stock seats. The perforated leather is not a 100% match for the rear seat, but I can live with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
07 Forester XT Premium manual, VF43, Chett Tuned
Ex 08 Legacy 2.5GT B manual.
Ex 04 Forester XT manual.
Ex 03 Forester Xel 2.5 manual.

June 26, 2014, 02:26:10 PM
Reply #1

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
More pics

June 26, 2014, 03:05:57 PM
Reply #2

Jacques

• View Profile
Very nice Theo!!

That Mishimoto radiator is a monster compared to the OEM one.  Mine just barely fits in there  ;D
I have the bellmouth downpipe and also had to "massage" it a bit to increase the clearance to the steering knuckle.

When is the turbo upgrade?
2006 Forester XT MT - 20G'd

June 26, 2014, 04:27:31 PM
Reply #3

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Not soon.
I'm to scared to add all the costs so far. :'(
I still want to use it on long trips and holidays. Enough performance for now.
Fuel consumption was supposed to have improved slightly with the tune, the problem is I have not been able to drive sensibly since then, so cant really tell.

Future mods wish list:

1. STi intercooler & scoop.
2. Colour change on centre console.
3. Headunit

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:49:54 PM by Theo »

June 26, 2014, 08:47:26 PM
Reply #4

sav

• View Profile
Very very nice and Chett Tjoon FTW!!
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

June 26, 2014, 09:20:28 PM
Reply #5

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmm... I've toyed with the idea of 09+ WRX seats for my S-edition...looks great, nicely done!
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

June 26, 2014, 10:16:38 PM
Reply #6

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Recaros from the hatch STi would look great, but would not match the blue of the rest of your interior.

June 27, 2014, 05:32:51 PM
Reply #7

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oh YUM, they are just SO right!!!
I guess you meant the other blue bits wouldn't match the Recaros...never liked the blue anyway, if I had more bucks I'd have it ripped out...
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

June 27, 2014, 06:18:53 PM
Reply #8

sav

• View Profile
That radiator definitely looks like a winner. Have you monitored temps before and after via OBD? Stock one is very bad at cooling from high temps, especially under constant boost.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

June 27, 2014, 10:27:28 PM
Reply #9

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Only got my ELM 327 recently. Before I shared one with my brother.
The only time I saw high temp was when climbing a very steep pass near Witsand Nature Reseve last year. Torque indicated above 100 deg, but it dropped back to under 90 as soon as started going down the other side. I have seen the needle on the temp gauge rise slightly when driving hard uphill.

Since the new radiator was installed I have only done town driving. Will monitor temps under different conditions.

June 27, 2014, 11:06:10 PM
Reply #10

sav

• View Profile
Cool, thanks. Pretty much the same here - will climb to just under or around 100 on steep mountain passes, stay there for a bit then start cooling down when the road levels out or going down again. Pretty sure it wouldn't be able to cope driving hard uphill for extended periods which is why I'm also considering the Mishimoto radiator.

March 25, 2015, 04:02:14 PM
Reply #11

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Time for an update
Fitted silver Hawkeye STi Mags with 20mm aluminium adapter/spacer plates.
Mags came off my brothers STi, spacers were R2215.00
With the difference in offset of the wheels and 20mm spacers, the track is now slightly wider. You can't really go any thinner with the adapters.

I also got hold of an STi TMIC, which I had to spend some time on to straighten all the fins and polish out some scratches and rub marks. The guy I got it from had it on his Impreza GT, and it had rubbed against the bonnet.
I have ordered a Bugeye STi hood scoop from Carbon-Sport today, waiting on delivery.
Next I need to make a plan with the duct under the scoop to get flow over the whole intercooler.

Now I'm looking for a Prodrive/mesh grill, but having blown most of my bonus on the above items, it will probably have to wait.

March 25, 2015, 04:07:13 PM
Reply #12

sav

• View Profile
Looking great, I love those wheels.

March 27, 2015, 01:48:03 PM
Reply #13

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Recaro seats, anyone with R12K and an SH XT/S-Ed?
It is alot of money, but your butt will thank you.

April 02, 2015, 03:34:53 PM
Reply #14

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Recaro seats, anyone with R12K and an SH XT/S-Ed?
It is alot of money, but your butt will thank you.

Don't start that again, Theo!
AAARRGGHH!!  I want!!!