Author Topic: Radiator Subrau Forester 2.5xs  (Read 1961 times)

September 10, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
Read 1961 times

2.5XS Forester

• View Profile
    • Email
hey all

was wondering if anyone can help me with an affordable price for a radiator for a 2007 Subaru Forester 2.35XS in the Johannesburg area.

the top part that is a black plastic has a hairline crack in it and apparently u cannot just buy that part you need the whole radiator.

regards

sheldon

September 10, 2014, 12:58:46 PM
Reply #1

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
best advice I can give is to rather get a replacement and if you have time get the one that isn't from Subaru

Pyro perfromance in CPT has them

they cost more but is far far better than the ones we have here (just check your requirement with them before hands)
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

September 10, 2014, 01:39:54 PM
Reply #2

sav

• View Profile
best advice I can give is to rather get a replacement and if you have time get the one that isn't from Subaru

Pyro perfromance in CPT has them

they cost more but is far far better than the ones we have here (just check your requirement with them before hands)
I agree 100% especially having fitted a Mishimoto one this week.

Otherwise speak to Jobo at Subaru Centurion - they sell converted stock radiators with an aluminum top tank. Would probably cost the same as Mishimoto so it's quite pointless.

2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

September 10, 2014, 01:42:20 PM
Reply #3

sav

• View Profile
BTW
Is your car manual or automatic? Important to note that the automatic transmission cooler is built into the radiator so if you do decide to upgrade to Mishimoto you'd need an external trans oil cooler as well. They're pretty cheap though.

Here is the main reason I don't like the OEM radiator:

OEM vs Mishimoto.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

September 11, 2014, 10:25:21 AM
Reply #4

andrew5336

BUT, as it's a normally aspirated XS, unless you drive it hard / tow / in really hot conditions in sand etc, the standard one does do the job and copsts less than half what a Mishimoto one does.

Subaru quoted R 2 600 for a new one.

Made by Silverton radiators so maybe ask them for a price as well and have it fitted by a reputable independent Subaru mechanic and replace thermostat, radiator caps x 2 and check pipes etc while replacing.

Also ensure they use good coolant.

September 11, 2014, 10:32:32 AM
Reply #5

sav

• View Profile
Agree, should be fine on the XS - does the R2600 one have plastic tanks though?
At R370 for the two pipes you may as well replace them at the same time.

September 11, 2014, 02:30:21 PM
Reply #6

andrew5336

Yebo standard plastic top

September 11, 2014, 02:34:48 PM
Reply #7

sav

• View Profile
Cool, difficult decision then - the plastic is guaranteed to let go eventually so either do it proper now with Mishimoto or upgraded OEM from Subaru(same price), or replace as preventative maintenance 3 years from now?

September 11, 2014, 02:45:00 PM
Reply #8

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
I had radiator failure and needed my foz quickly so get it done locally
good job and was quickly done but I am planning on driving another 2-3 years then ordering the mishimoto

I suspect mine failed due to 100000K service temoval

September 12, 2014, 09:25:57 PM
Reply #9

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
Silverton gave me verbal quote of about R3500 to build all alu radiator for the Outback. They use a cheap large capacity core like the one from the 7series BMW V8 then convert the top and bottom tanks. This exclude fitment and modifications on the oil cooler.

What makes it a good deal is that Jobo quoted R6500 for a new OB H6 radiator
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

September 14, 2014, 09:55:37 PM
Reply #10

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,
I just looked into the engine bay of a 2008 Forester XS this weekend, and saw that the exhaust runs around the front of the engine, right below the radiator.
It was stinking hot in there, just from a small drive into town.
This seems a not so good good idea to me, and could probably contribute to premature radiator(and other) failures?
My 2005 Forester XS has the exhaust running towards the back, not the front.
I don't experience that kind of heat when opening the bonnet after a drive.

I would agree with  andrew5336, and the OEM should be good for probably 100k km, as my first one lasted longer than that.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 15, 2014, 07:06:26 AM
Reply #11

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
Come to think about it, the turbo, cat and dpf is at the front bottom of the Diesel - radiator needs to work hard just to keep up!

On the other hand, most front wheel drive cars that I have looked at has the exhaust manifold at the front.

I assume that it is no problem as long as there is airflow - problem is what happens to that heat when you stop!
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

September 15, 2014, 07:59:43 AM
Reply #12

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Your exhaust is on wrong side of Radiator (for you to worry)
Yes when parked it can allow a bit a heat to travel across but if heat goes up enough then the fan starts then it pulls in the nice cold air from front and blows it over the exhaust

in certain sense it even protects the exhaust quite a bit since it help keeps the heat down through air traveling (and some of the water away)

no need to worry as long as your normal fan on rad works as it should

If it does not then the exhaust would be least of my worries I would worry more about engine damage if left running while parked
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:58:12 AM by Veneficus »

September 15, 2014, 04:58:39 PM
Reply #13

2.5XS Forester

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys& girls

Thanks for the Help

got it done by Silverston Radiators, good job great service and not badly priced R 3 200.00 with fitment and all the rest.
unfortunately it tested positive for CO2 which apparently means im screwed.
tool it in and Bosch service center wants to charge me R 30 000.00

any ideas?

September 15, 2014, 05:09:36 PM
Reply #14

sav

• View Profile
Hi Guys& girls

Thanks for the Help

got it done by Silverston Radiators, good job great service and not badly priced R 3 200.00 with fitment and all the rest.
unfortunately it tested positive for CO2 which apparently means im screwed.
tool it in and Bosch service center wants to charge me R 30 000.00

any ideas?

Hi

Wow, that is horrible news, sorry to hear. :( I know the feeling - the liquid is all nice and blue while you're holding thumbs and then it slowly turns a yellowish brown colour. At that point your heart sinks into your stomach because you just know your wallet is going to take a beating.
Take it to Wayne Hay - shouldn't be more than R14k with ARP head studs. Less with Subaru OEM studs. Not sure what Bosch is smoking, are they quoting for a rebuild?

Any pics of the new radiatior?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:12:19 PM by sav »