Author Topic: H6 Exhaust  (Read 2666 times)

September 25, 2014, 09:45:25 PM
Read 2666 times

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys , my first Subaru is an outback 2,5 , after all the pain of head gasket and cooling system woes I still love the car , now my low km H6 is nearly here and while I wait for the  paperwork can anyone recommend a reliable exhaust place in Gauteng who can advise me on exhaust mods , its too quiet , what is the point of a 6 if you cant hear it ! Thanks

September 27, 2014, 09:37:53 PM
Reply #1

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
At last another H6 owner[emoji1]

Have been thinking the same thing. Contacted RG motorsport that does performance stuff like supercharging. Quoted R12500 for a custom exhaust.
I then found an Aussie that does headers but at 1000 aus$ excl shipment I'm not so sure

Probably better off reading on a forum in a place where there are a lot of H6 motors about how to get the best result. Then visit any reputable exhaust place and dictate the design to them to copy.

But for now I am going to have Jan Steyn in Koedoespoort only do the decat

What mods did you have in mind?
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

September 28, 2014, 06:34:53 PM
Reply #2

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
RGM is overpriced. Find a powerflow(or similar) and have them do an exhaust for you.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

September 28, 2014, 07:25:55 PM
Reply #3

sav

• View Profile
RGM is overpriced. Find a powerflow(or similar) and have them do an exhaust for you.

Agreed. Very happy with the sound of mine after fitting the Powerflow box. Got the Subaru rumble without the drone...
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

September 28, 2014, 09:06:57 PM
Reply #4

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
Not sure , i want to hear the engine , its too quiet , does it have a cat ?

September 28, 2014, 09:10:33 PM
Reply #5

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
Would like to know what they charge to to do that .

September 29, 2014, 07:34:35 AM
Reply #6

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
For decatting usually about R1200 per cat, and they keep the cat. Cat foolers have to be fitted due to the closed loop fuelling.

I fitted resonators on my old Discovery in the place of the cat. They are not expensive and will contribute to drone frequency remival
2005 Outback 3.0 R

October 01, 2014, 05:17:18 PM
Reply #7

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
prices vary a lot , 5 K just to remove a silencer and weld in a piece of pipe ! Ill look again when the car has been registered .

October 01, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
Reply #8

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
Cats are close to the inner CV boots. The heat makes them perish. Be sure to check them i had to replace my passenger side once.

Decat without electrickery should be a couple of hundred per cat. They weld in a straight pipe.

A cat fooler could be nothing but an O2 sensor with a little catalytic material around the sensor probe or a fixed resistance probe. It simply needs to tell the ECU the gas concentrate of O2 post cat is more than pre cat. That way it assumes the cat is working. Sometimes the exhaust guys puts the stock sensor in a recess to miss the gas a bit. Aparrently it works.

I wonder why not just put the sensor outside the exhaust. That way the ECU will think the cat is working extremely well[emoji1] [emoji13]
2005 Outback 3.0 R

November 11, 2014, 09:08:10 PM
Reply #9

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok , so I have  had the H6 for a month , took it to noise boys in centurion for a tweek . They replaced the standard silencers with smaller ones and the pipes from the split with 50 mm pipes . Nice exhaust beat up to 80 than a really irritating drone to 120 . Back it went , no space for another resonator so they replaced the 50 mm pipes with 40 mm . said it would improve the performance and fuel consumption , not ! . The drone is better but still intrusive , at over 120 + the noise went away ?  Something to do with the aerodynamics perhaps ? At home I took out the spare tire and looked at the padding and carpeting , pretty good with the exception of the wheel well with only a few strips sound stuff .  I got some and put in more where I could .
That made a difference its nearly there . At this point if asked I would say , leave the exhaust alone . Anyone got one with a modified exhaust they are happy with ?  Obone ? Thanks   work in progress........

November 12, 2014, 10:47:06 AM
Reply #10

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
How far does the exhaust stick out Philip.

I think it was Bravofox that went through the tedious testing with regards to exhausts.
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

November 12, 2014, 12:01:09 PM
Reply #11

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Phillip, how does your tailpieces look?

If it is bigmouth tailpiece, you can try what I did here: http://foresterforum.co.za/index.php/topic,2035.0.html

A more elegant solution maybe a smaller tailpiece IF that is your problem.

EDIT: Oh, just saw your post, Manfred!
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

November 12, 2014, 12:11:33 PM
Reply #12

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
No problem, just glad I remembered who it was that did the test   ;)
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

November 13, 2014, 09:13:54 PM
Reply #13

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
They re use the old tips , it looks completely standard from the back .

November 13, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
Reply #14

PhilipH

• View Profile
    • Email
The sound is exactly as you describe it , almost like a pressure build up in the cabin round 3000 rpm , the tips are recessed what you are saying makes sense , ill experiment and post my findings . Thanks all .