Author Topic: H6 Exhaust  (Read 2552 times)

November 30, 2014, 06:35:41 PM
Reply #15

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
I had to remove the cats. Consumption dropped each week for a month. So I was forced to use Noise Boys. Silver Lakes. Jan Steyn is booked

No change in sound but revs more willingly. And already noticing improved consumption in spite of th extra oomph. Will keep an eye and reort back.

Unfortunately  struggling with O2 sensor problems.

There are 2 pairs. One pair pre cat the other post cat. Under Noise Boys recommendation ( they are the experts)   they fitted cat foolers to the front pair of sensors. I took it back they fitted it to the rear as well. Needless to say the check engine light remains on.

As I understand it only fit foolers to the rear pair? Any advice?

Noise Boys have been very helpful and willing to rectify their problem. I have the second pair of foolers for mahala. Pity it didn't work.
2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

June 26, 2016, 09:27:56 PM
Reply #16

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
This is back from the dead.

I received my 3.0 last week and really liked the "raw" sound from the exhaust. Its sedate and quiet under 4000, but then it sounds very much like the E36 M3 did from yesteryear. I've also read up on the exhaust and the say if you remove the resonator, you will pick up a lot of drone.

I had a look underneath and my front cats has definitely been replaced. The back boxes still look stock.

Im actually surprised how well this car does on fuel, especially the speeds I drove down from GP.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

December 05, 2016, 10:43:56 PM
Reply #17

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Did you ever get this sorted?

My cats have just been removed and im thinking of just exchanging the rear boxes for free flow boxes in the same diameter.

December 05, 2016, 10:52:11 PM
Reply #18

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
to give you an idea.

December 05, 2016, 10:56:39 PM
Reply #19

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
OBone:
I can't understand why one would want to fit CAT foolers to the front O2 sensors. They have nothing to do with the CATs, AFAIK.
They control the fuelling. So, fitting foolers to that will screw up your AFR readings, which could be harmfull to the engine.
The rear sensors are there to manage/monitor the CAT's performance. They need foolers when the CATs are removed (on some cars).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The above is how I see it, and not based on any official (or other )knowledge.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

February 25, 2017, 08:41:25 PM
Reply #20

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
OBone:
I can't understand why one would want to fit CAT foolers to the front O2 sensors. They have nothing to do with the CATs, AFAIK.
They control the fuelling. So, fitting foolers to that will screw up your AFR readings, which could be harmfull to the engine.
The rear sensors are there to manage/monitor the CAT's performance. They need foolers when the CATs are removed (on some cars).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The above is how I see it, and not based on any official (or other )knowledge.
Bern

In the end I took it to ASE they sorted it.

Aparrently extremely difficult to fool the  ECU on my vin no batch or something. So for those that got it done cudos. In my case a generic cat was refitted and OEM sensors in the right places. This cured everything

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers