Author Topic: WhatsApp chat group for Forester Club of South Africa  (Read 1879 times)

November 21, 2014, 12:53:25 PM
Read 1879 times

F4RS1D3

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Email
Howsit guys

I am keen on starting a WhatsApp group for Subaru Forester Forum of South Africa.
It is a great avenue to ask quick questions, share information, arrange events and get to know each other better.
WhatsApp currently allows maximum of 100 numbers in a group chat
Considering the active users on this forum I think we will be ok to have one group for entire SA instead of regional.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
"Life is a journey, enjoy the ride"
04 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT, 219kW (Pyro tuned TD05H-18GTX)
03 Legacy 2.0 GT 5EAT (OEM claimed 171kW...)
16 XV 2.0 CVT

November 21, 2014, 01:38:05 PM
Reply #1

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
good idea, but not for me thank you, personally i think with WA the forum wil become very quiet...? but let's see what the poll suggests.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

November 21, 2014, 02:09:50 PM
Reply #2

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

November 21, 2014, 02:28:04 PM
Reply #3

cyberpuppy

Maybe check out Facebook Messenger too. It's basically the same as Whatsapp, but it's easier for people like me without WhatsApp to sign up.

November 21, 2014, 04:53:07 PM
Reply #4

whoning

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe check out Facebook Messenger too. It's basically the same as Whatsapp, but it's easier for people like me without WhatsApp to sign up.
If your phone can do facebook messenger, then it should be able to do whatsapp too...

November 21, 2014, 05:01:45 PM
Reply #5

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
So how will that be any different to this forum?
Sure you will get an immediate notification when someone post something, but you can set your forum notifications to notify you the moment there is a new post.
I don't see the benefit, and this forum will suffer.

November 21, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Granted, I also find that there is a lot of off topic stuff on whatsapp. Does not matter though, as long you enjoy being social.

November 22, 2014, 11:39:29 PM
Reply #7

cyberpuppy

If your phone can do facebook messenger, then it should be able to do whatsapp too...

Facebook messenger  means you're integrated with facebook and you can hook it up to the SF facebook group.

December 11, 2014, 08:06:55 AM
Reply #8

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
I quite like the forum, as stuff is organised - especially if one needs to search for something (eg where someone has previously posted some advice on a specific topic), it'll be a lot easier to find.
Also, I don't necessarily want to "connect" with everyone and on a public platform like WA or FB (I don't have 2792 "friends" on FB) - this forum provides that space that just seems more genuine.

And frankly, my phone doesn't have a 15" screen, and I like to look at Foz-p0rn in full size
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:10:33 AM by westcoaster »
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

December 11, 2014, 08:22:23 AM
Reply #9

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
I must agree - the forum site works well for me.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

December 11, 2014, 09:43:18 AM
Reply #10

sav

• View Profile
I quite like the forum, as stuff is organised - especially if one needs to search for something (eg where someone has previously posted some advice on a specific topic), it'll be a lot easier to find.
Also, I don't necessarily want to "connect" with everyone and on a public platform like WA or FB (I don't have 2792 "friends" on FB) - this forum provides that space that just seems more genuine.

And frankly, my phone doesn't have a 15" screen, and I like to look at Foz-p0rn in full size
 ;D
Agreed. A lot of info gets lost on Whatsapp groups and it's pretty much all over the place - you could have 3 or 4 people trying to discuss different things at the same time.

Either way, Whatsapp is old school like sending SMS messages, check out https://telegram.org/
It's like Whatsapp but more modern and works on multiple devices, even desktop.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

December 11, 2014, 10:38:17 AM
Reply #11

Kingchett

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All.

From my experience, Socsa and a watsapp group that was started.

Basically it reduced forum traffic alot, it becomes much more junk talk and sending pics and a lot less productivity when working. Posts on forum are def more constructive and recorded for others to look up problems, info etc.

However on the social side it gets very active and you do keep in touch with the guys on hand (excuse the pun), some people like the social side more and do like the watsapp group. Getting 200+ messages between 10pm and 6am . Your wife will leave you thinking you have a mistress lol.

My next bet would be to keep the phone app linked to forum via tapatalk , where by you can still post etc very easily and keep up to date with all things on forum.

Just my Opinion from experience.

December 11, 2014, 10:43:59 AM
Reply #12

SniperHilton

• Global Moderator

• S-Edition Fozzie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All.

From my experience, Socsa and a watsapp group that was started.

Basically it reduced forum traffic alot, it becomes much more junk talk and sending pics and a lot less productivity when working. Posts on forum are def more constructive and recorded for others to look up problems, info etc.

However on the social side it gets very active and you do keep in touch with the guys on hand (excuse the pun), some people like the social side more and do like the watsapp group. Getting 200+ messages between 10pm and 6am . Your wife will leave you thinking you have a mistress lol.

My next bet would be to keep the phone app linked to forum via tapatalk , where by you can still post etc very easily and keep up to date with all things on forum.

Just my Opinion from experience.

Agree with what Chett has said.
The Whatsapp group works for quick short notice meets etc, but other than that, it a data and time consumer.

Tapatalk works well for me here, I get a notification every time a post is made on a thread I follow, and a new thread is made.
I can also view any new posts that i have missed.

2013 Forester S-Edition | Chett Tuned - 1.2BAR | TNT DumpPipe | Zorst

January 08, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
Reply #13

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email