Author Topic: Volks  (Read 2051 times)

October 30, 2015, 10:02:52 AM
Reply #15

sav

• View Profile

What I really don't understand is why Subaru wanted the BRZ to have more understeer.   I don't find the 86 oversteery at all.  On track, I battle with understeer and need to find a way to reduce understeer.   Wonder if it's my fat ass that changes the balance of the car and makes it understeer? LOL
That's odd. How much camber are you running front & rear and toe in/out? I went with Larne on RSR and it wasn't understeery at all, lots of oversteer.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

October 30, 2015, 10:37:12 AM
Reply #16

Fish Eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
I think it's to do with grip levels.  On cold tyres or in the wet, my car oversteers badly, but with hot semis the back end hooks up beautifully.  I can go WOT in 2nd exiting a tight hairpin, and the back will stay hooked up with the power causing push understeer.   Makes it safe and easy to drive because I can control the understeer with the throttle.   By "hot semis" I mean very hot - they've got to be howling and RE11S's need serious abuse to make them howl.

I'm running stock suspension and stock alignment except for crash bolts which give me -1.5
2003 Forester 2.5XT
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Sportwagon
2013 Toyota 86 Vortech SC

October 30, 2015, 10:43:57 AM
Reply #17

sav

• View Profile
Cool, -1.5 front and rear?
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

October 30, 2015, 12:17:08 PM
Reply #18

Fish Eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Cool, -1.5 front and rear?
Rear is 100% stock, but with sticky tyres, the harder you load up the rear suspension, the more negative it goes - that's how the rear geometry works.
Check out the photo how the rear wheel stays vertical despite major body roll.

Ideally I'd like to have -2.5 to -3.0 front, and if that means more at the back to balance it out, then I'll have to do LCAs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:43:38 PM by Fish Eagle »
2003 Forester 2.5XT

October 30, 2015, 12:56:04 PM
Reply #19

Fish Eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Here's the example(s) I promised.  Two very short clips.

The first video is cold tyres oversteer. 
At Midvaal, due to mixing it with racecars, you gotta get your butt moving from the get-go, so I leave the nannies on for the 1st lap, and let it slide around to warm up the brakes and the tyres quickly.

The second video is a push understeer example at Red Star.   
My car's hooked up there.  No matter how much power I put down, it won't oversteer.
The understeer just gets more, but it's easy to modulate using throttle.

2003 Forester 2.5XT