Author Topic: Oil filter change  (Read 371 times)

May 23, 2018, 11:02:23 AM
Read 371 times

Andyh

• View Profile
2007 Forester 2,5 X
Excuse my ignorance...I'm trying to remove the oil filter and change it for the first time myself....how do you remove the oil filter? The Manual says "using an oil filter wrench"
I've always used a strap/chain type filter 'wrench' to remove an oil filter on previous cars I've owned...but that type of removal tool is no good on the Forester as the filter is set back too far in an otherwise inaccessible place.
Is there a special 'wrench' to remove it ...or am I missing something? It looks like it needs a 'tube' type wrench to fit over the filter and tighten onto it and be long enough to turn it from underneath to remove it.
Help please!!

May 23, 2018, 11:57:02 AM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I wear a leather glove and take some coarse sandpaper and then loosen it by hand. Sandpaper between hand and filer, to prevent slipping. Coarse size facing filter.

Tough ones get the screwdriver and hammer treatment.

But yes, you do actually get a tool for it, can buy it from most Autozone and Midas type shops.

Tighten by hand only, film of oil on the seal.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

May 23, 2018, 11:59:59 AM
Reply #2

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
That's the type I use to put them on. Normally grab it with water pump pliers to get one off though...barbaric, I know  ::)
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

May 25, 2018, 06:59:33 AM
Reply #3

Speedy

• View Profile
    • Email
I use a finger type wrench and throw two elastic bands on the filter so they can grip, works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2018, 09:52:50 PM
Reply #4

Andyh

• View Profile
Ok, thank you...now I've acquired a oil filter wrench and I'm ready to remove the old filter.
One question....can I remove it without draining the oil?

In other words is the filter safely above the oil level in the sump?... in which case the only oil that one has to contend with will be in the filter itself..and I'll take the advice of removing it, once I have loosened it with the wrench, with a disposable insulated mug to catch any bits of oil and hold the filter on removal.

May 30, 2018, 06:41:26 AM
Reply #5

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, thank you...now I've acquired a oil filter wrench and I'm ready to remove the old filter.

In other words is the filter safely above the oil level in the sump?... in which case the only oil that one has to contend with will be in the filter itself..and I'll take the advice of removing it, once I have loosened it with the wrench, with a disposable insulated mug to catch any bits of oil and hold the filter on removal.

But why? If you're going through the effort of having a clean filter, surely the point is to have clean oil? Just changing the filter is not the way to go, in my opinion. You're just going to be sending dirty oil through a clean filter and it'll be as dirty as the one you're removing in short order. Doing either without the other is like brushing your teeth without toothpaste, or rubbing toothpaste without using a brush...there will be an effect but at some point you'll end up with gum disease.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

May 30, 2018, 06:50:57 AM
Reply #6

sav

• View Profile

Sure, simply warm the engine up then remove the filter with a drain pan below it.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...