Author Topic: Looking for decent Subaru Mechanic in Durban  (Read 4320 times)

July 19, 2016, 12:08:57 PM
Reply #15

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
that is very expensive, what year model is your Forester, by the looks of your profile pic it should have the chain and not belt...?

also, phone Pietermaritzburg for a quote.....compare the two

Yes it is a 2011 model...thanks for reminding me... :-[ I'd forgotten that was one of the reasons I didn't get the 2010 one.
I did check the service book last night though and it has a "cam-belt service" marked with "replace" for the 120 000km column so a bit confusing.
I've queried that with Subaru (Umhlanga) and will phone PMB today.

Hi
AT or MT?
Estimated Cost of T belt service as follows:
T Belt kid Gates @R4500
2X  V Belts R75= R150
4 X Spark Plugs R800
5L Full Synth Oil R450
OEM Oil Filter R120
Transmission OIL(Subaru ATF) R1500(AT) Or R750 (MT)
Transmission Filter R850(AT)
Diff Oil Synthetic R600
2x Anti Freeze R150
10 l Distilled water R50
Brake pads Front and rear R1300.00 (NON OEM)
Labor R4000
There might be wiper blades, globes

Its AT but I suspect labour is the big one - they said it would take 2 days for this service.

Thanks. Will feedback later.

yes, still known as the Major Service/Cam Belt Service, but there is no cambelt to replace, hence i said that price of R18k is over the top, as well as taking two days.....this service can be done within a day!!
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

July 19, 2016, 12:33:29 PM
Reply #16

bradgov

• View Profile
    • Email
So the good news is that Umhlanga got it wrong - it does have a timing chain and the cost is now approximately R3200.
I also phoned PMB earlier and after giving them my VIN they quoted me the same which is reassuring.

Considering the new price I will send it to Umhlanga as they also rather conveniently close.

Thanks everybody - I can now sleep easier at night  :).

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XS Premium AT - Grey

July 19, 2016, 03:09:08 PM
Reply #17

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
So the good news is that Umhlanga got it wrong - it does have a timing chain and the cost is now approximately R3200.
I also phoned PMB earlier and after giving them my VIN they quoted me the same which is reassuring.

Considering the new price I will send it to Umhlanga as they also rather conveniently close.

Thanks everybody - I can now sleep easier at night  :).

will send you the invoice for the difference between your saving and actual cost 8) ::) :P.....this is what Forums are for!! helping each other not getting done over!!! ;D
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

July 20, 2016, 09:40:24 AM
Reply #18

Manfred

• View Profile
    • Email
I would have loved to have seen if they completed the service and still try charge for the cambelt service.
Pretoria

2011 XT Sportshift
2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost (Turbo Triple)

July 20, 2016, 12:33:37 PM
Reply #19

bradgov

• View Profile
    • Email
I would have loved to have seen if they completed the service and still try charge for the cambelt service.

I doubt it...I suspect they were just lazy and didn't use the VIN provided to check the vehicle spec.
Also I used email whereas with PMB I was on the phone and had to give him the VIN while he punched it in.

It was funny because I asked the PMB guy if they are linked to Subaru Umhlanga and he said they are not so the prices wouldn't necessarily be the same. He also offered to beat their price. I told him Umhlanga quoted me R18 000 so his R3200 was beating it hands down at the moment.  ;D

Its nice to know there is some competition between them though.

March 21, 2017, 09:34:58 PM
Reply #20

SFR

• View Profile
I am in need of a Durban based Subaru whisperer, alternatively, I need a company that can do my 06 fozzie's clutch for a fair price. Car is currently in Durban north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 27, 2017, 10:18:52 AM
Reply #21

HJfoz

• View Profile
    • Email
I understand there are 2 independents that can help you, Romic Motors (Durban) and Arnold`s Auto (Hilton). I have not used either of these so cannot vouch for either.
KZN

July 07, 2017, 10:06:38 PM
Reply #22

dreamerza

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone have an Office number for Romic?
SG9 XT 
LSS Sump Guard
LSS Diff Guard
WRX 4 Pots
3"Turbo Back from A.C.E Performance
PSPerformance Tuned
Romic Motors Maintained
Willing to get muddy!

November 03, 2017, 08:42:20 AM
Reply #23

HJfoz

• View Profile
    • Email
I Have used both Romic and Arnolds

No complaints about either, however, I was very happy with Romic and they are one of the most reasonably priced places I have ever taken a car, will continue to use them in the future.
KZN

March 16, 2018, 10:56:18 AM
Reply #24

bradgov

• View Profile
    • Email
I took the Forester for a service to Romic last week. I was very happy with the service and price compared to the Subaru dealership. I'm no pro but the engine also never sounded as good so they must be doing something right.  :)
I will definitely be using them in future and highly recommend them.
In terms of contact details I just googled "Romic Motors (Durban)" and it pops up with all the details.