Author Topic: Gauteng Fozzie visiting the Mother City  (Read 627 times)

August 05, 2015, 02:48:20 PM
Read 627 times

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Greetings all.
So I am planning a recon to Cape Town in December with a view to possibly emigrating there from Gauteng in the near future.
So far I have booked a night stop in a National Park called Mokala National Park, between Kimberly and Hopetown on the N12.
Then we are off to Struisbaai for 7 days to enjoy the Cape Agulhas area. Might do the coastal road towards Cape Town for fun.
We then have a few days in Hout Bay and then it will be time to meander back to the Highveld.

The purpose of my post is to request that members chip in with the sights and frights in the two areas that are recommended, and those that should be avoided.
The Cape Town guys can please recommend some roads and tracks that we can drive in the fozzie?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking everyone in advance.
Yours in motoring
Tim
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

August 05, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
Reply #1

Dries48

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Tim, on the N12 about 15-20 km before Hopetown there is a padstal on your left called The Grange.  At this stall there is an entrance to an underground lake, just ask at the stall.  Well worth a visit.
Fozzies Rule!

August 05, 2015, 06:28:44 PM
Reply #2

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Cool, thanks Dries! You sure it has not been Nationalized yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2006 Silver MT - Ex
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF43 Decatt and Chett Tuned. Free flow. 180wkw
Yes I like Foresters
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

August 05, 2015, 11:13:38 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Oh, where to start................

Seriously though, making your way from the N12 to Struisbaaai does not need to be tar only.

in Vic West, you could turn off to Hutchingson, then just out of Hutchingson (almost not a place anymore), is a nice dirt road, along the railway line mostly, down to the N1 again. Just for the fun of it.
Then, Meiringspoort or Swartberg Pass, Gysmanshoek, various others in that region.

From Struisbaai, you could travel via Baardskeerdersbos, Elim, find a back road to Hemel-en-Aarde, back to Hawston, then thru The Valley, and that's the end of the  fun on that side.
See the attached map of a trip we did to a(not mine) wedding in Victoria West.
(Stats: via N1 - approx 1200 km round trip. My trip - 2200km, with 1500 km gravel) ;D

Sorry, I'm biased towards gravel/sand roads. The further away from an N road, the nicer the journey.

However, if you are pressed for time......well tough luck, and it's a shame to deprive the Fozzie of those nice back roads

Note: I does help if your passengers also enjoy the off-beaten roads.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape