Author Topic: Feeding my Google Earth addiction in the KZN midlands  (Read 1227 times)

August 30, 2015, 07:36:35 PM
Read 1227 times

GundaGunda

"Hi my name is GundaGunda and I am a GoogleEarthAholic"

"We Love you Gunda"

I suppose that, as I don't smoke and hardly drink, I am allowed other addictions, and addiction to Google earth may be detrimental to my productivity, but certainly not to my well being and health.

So, browsing the area around Mooi River, I noticed this waterfall a few Km upstream of the better known Mooi River (Zulu falls). I can see that the falls are on private farm land so I get into detective mode and make a few calls.

This is what attracted my attention !!     

I started with the Sierra Ranch resort which is a few farms away, where I had attended the Alfie Cox Adventure Bike Festival a few years ago. The nice lady there gives me a number, that guy gives me a number, and a after a few iterations I am speaking to the Farmer responsible for the farm on which the waterfall is.

Now I have found that if you play nice with the farmers in KZN, never go onto the farms without permission, and treat their lands and animals with the utmost respect, they are a really nice and accommodating bunch, and this farmer was no exception.

Thank you Peter !!

So I do the Google Earth click-click trick, load my GPS with the track of the road to the falls, rope in my biking buddy Tommy from Rosetta, and his good wife Jo, and off we go.

We meet the farmer, who looks at the Fozzy's ground clearance, and says that we are probably going to have to walk the last 500 meters to the falls, I am happy with that, and off we go.

The road was quite gnarly, and got quite a bit worse than this photo, but with Tommy guiding me on foot the Fozzy made it down like a goat with no scraping at all 

And this was at the end of the road - voila !!

The little hut houses a hydro-electric power generator.

A few pics of the falls - this is at the end of a dry season - after some rains they must me really spectacular.

The cliffs were full of Soutern Bald Ibis', and the white streaks on the black rocks are their doing !! 

The Fozzy at the bottom of the falls. 

I was slightly nervous on the road over the rocks on the way out, but I need not have worried. No bottoming out, and no slipping at all.

What a lovely day to be messing about in KZN, and what a pleasure to have a willing steed to do it in.

Thanks to Tommy and Jo for tagging along.

Now back to Google Earth.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:00:58 PM by GundaGunda »

August 30, 2015, 08:06:19 PM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow. What fun. Trying my luck with Google in the WC at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

August 30, 2015, 09:55:10 PM
Reply #2

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

September 05, 2015, 06:47:54 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Most be nice after rain season.
Nice pics.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 06, 2015, 01:01:59 PM
Reply #4

GundaGunda

Most be nice after rain season.
Nice pics.
For sure. The Mooi River has quite a big catchment area, which includes the Klein Mooi - which is not so Klein - and the Hlatikulu. Together they are a major contributor to the Thukela.

When the rains come I would love to go back, but there were signs of the Mud-Monster on the last 500m of descent to the falls. The road may be quite slippy. 

September 06, 2015, 03:27:57 PM
Reply #5

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
 8) very cool, Gunda!
A real explorer you are! nice find - I hope you had the obligatory 'kaalgat' swim?  ;D
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

September 07, 2015, 09:48:42 AM
Reply #6

GundaGunda

. . . . I hope you had the obligatory 'kaalgat' swim?  ;D

Thought about it, but that would be inflicting a cruel an unusual punishment on the Bald Ibis', Cape Clawless Otters and Leguaans.

and that would break my rules, "No trespassing and treat all animals with the utmost respect"  ;D

September 07, 2015, 08:30:34 PM
Reply #7

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
. . . . I hope you had the obligatory 'kaalgat' swim?  ;D
Thought about it, but that would be inflicting a cruel an unusual punishment on the Bald Ibis', Cape Clawless Otters and Leguaans.

I've never heard of anyone calling their bits a 'Bald Ibis'...Leguaan, maybe... ;D
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..