Author Topic: Outback 2011 diesel manual woes  (Read 996 times)

September 02, 2015, 09:53:10 AM
Read 996 times

samisty

• View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone had an experience like this -

Bought 2nd hand in January. In June when it went for service my husband notified them that something was not right with the gearbox/clutch. Checked and returned as all fine.
A month later in July, on the way from Joburg back home to the Cape we stopped to fill up with diesel in Bloem and noticed as we stopped that if clutch depressed it made a slight noise. Filled up and tried to drive on. Changing into 2nd as we pulled off and bad noise so decided to drive to Subaru garage (only a service agent, not a dealer). Couldn't travel further as we could not change to 3rd and noise was horrific.
Flatbed collected us and deposited us at garage. After 1 day they informed us a clutch problem(!) about R8 000 to repair.
After 2 days it became a clutch and gearbox - R80 000 to repair, which then changed to just clutch so R35 000 (entire new clutch)
We eventually hired a car to get home and now a month later the car is still in Bloem as the clutch was available in SA but it needed a new gearbox housing which had to come from Japan. Once it arrived and it was fitted they discovered that the gearbox is indeed damaged and quote is now around R60 000!
We are still waiting for details of exactly what is wrong.
Looking at options it seems:
1, the original garage where it was serviced did NOT do a proper check
2. as this is only a service agent they do not seem particularly worried about getting the work done, replying to our queries (as we aren't nearby to go to them) and I am not sure how experienced they are with this make and model
3. Friends of ours have the exact same model and have replaced the clutch 2x - seems it is a problem on this model
4. Although their clutch has gone 2x, it has never damaged the gearbox

What do we do now???????? We certainly do not have that sort of money and we feel that some arrangement needs to be made by a) Subaru (inherent problem) and b) servicing garage who did not take note of our complaint about gearbox/clutch originally. Mileage is a mere 115 000km.

September 04, 2015, 08:35:26 AM
Reply #1

Sir Gary

• View Profile
    • Email
I've got an old Outback (2006);
after the 2nd clutch went (first @ 60 000km, and second at 160 000km), I replaced the dual-mass flywheel (then some R16 000 to replace)
with a solid flywheel and a conventional Fozzy clutch (Total cost then < R 8000) - no problems since (done >160 000km on this setup)

But your case sounds a lot more serious. Bummer. Sorry...

September 04, 2015, 09:18:31 PM
Reply #2

OBone

• View Profile
    • Email
Read about clutch problems on international forums as well, but it was a while ago.

All I can say is good luck. No other advice unfortunately

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2005 Outback 3.0 R
That R probably stands for RACING, because it goes like the clappers

September 06, 2015, 11:44:13 PM
Reply #3

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
If you are unhappy with the car, Id suggest the consumer protection act.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 16, 2016, 03:05:43 PM
Reply #4

polycop

• Personal Text
    2012 Pearl White Forester 2.0D Premium Turbo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Would like to know what the outcome was regarding your clutch issue and question whether this is a Diesel engine related issue-specific to the Diesel engine, or a generic clutch?

Did you pay and keep the car or did you get hold of the consumer protection agency-do they have any clout?

My issue is with glow plug that have to be replaced - also at great cost - and I query why at 103 000km.  This is just after expiry of the 100k / 5 year extended warrantee.
Still lov'ng it after all these years!

January 11, 2017, 08:20:36 PM
Reply #5

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
A bit late,  but my clutch also gave in the 23rd December at just under 113000km -  our own workshop stripped it today -  flywheel and clutch kit needs replacement about R15000 in parts alone.
This seems to be a weak point in the manual Subaru Diesel design -  at least it lasted longer that some others.

Interestingly I also had to replace 2 glow plugs beginning of last year.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver

January 11, 2017, 09:29:56 PM
Reply #6

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Is that maybe why they stopped the diesels?
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 11, 2017, 10:29:50 PM
Reply #7

PieterT

• View Profile
    • Email
I agree - suspect that is why they stopped the diesel manual as many on the international forums has had multiple clutch replacements whilst still under maintenance plan.
2012 Subaru Forester 2.0D Premium - Steel Silver