Author Topic: Chett tuned  (Read 2528 times)

September 06, 2015, 02:55:04 PM
Read 2528 times

Jaco

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys, I'm reading up good reviews up from people who got a remap from Chett in Jo'burg. I am from Pretoria and the guy to go to here I have heard is Jan from Auto Sound Engineering. The cost for a remap is R3500 or R3800 excl Vat can remember the exact price now and R4500 excl Vat for two maps. I have done the upgrades in my car self to keep cost to a minimum and im quiet capable with a spanner. Upgrades include Vf48 turbo, 2006 Sti tmic and 76mm Dp. Does any body know what the cost will be at Chett for a remap or any other alternatives. R4500 just seems  little bit steep to me as I have remapped a twin turbo Subaru motor at RTBS racing 3 years ago for R1250. But they also quote me R4500 for a remap now. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit expensive?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:44:27 PM by Steve »

September 06, 2015, 03:11:24 PM
Reply #1

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Howzit Jaco
That is pretty much going rate, I believe - Chett's price is likely to be similar.
I've paid similar prices on my (ex-)GTi and wife's A3 in recent years (actually in 2008/2012)- and that was pretty much for off-the-shelf maps...
So for me, it seems nominal prices stayed constant, thus effectively has become cheaper (like many software packages have).

If ASE is more convenient location-wise, then I'd say just go there - they've got a good reputation.
Enjoy!
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..

September 06, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
Reply #2

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Having had both guys and some other tuners work on my Subarus, I have only ever had good service from Chett. And he is the only one who has been able to get such a smooth map loaded. Otherwise, what Westcoaster said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

September 06, 2015, 06:41:17 PM
Reply #3

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys, I'm reading up good reviews up from people who got a remap from Chett in Jo'burg. I am from Pretoria and the guy to go to here I have heard is Jan from Auto Sound Engineering. The cost for a remap is R3500 or R3800 excl Vat can remember the exact price now and R4500 excl Vat for two maps. I have done the upgrades in my car self to keep cost to a minimum and im quiet capable with a spanner. Upgrades include Vf48 turbo, 2006 Sti tmic and 76mm Dp. Does any body know what the cost will be at Chett for a remap or any other alternatives. R4500 just seems  little bit steep to me as I have remapped a twin turbo Subaru motor at RTBS racing 3 years ago for R1250. But they also quote me R4500 for a remap now. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit expensive?

You will pay R5500 EX vat in CT. Trust me, Chett is very affordable.
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

September 06, 2015, 06:57:25 PM
Reply #4

MaemoZA

• View Profile
    • Email
I heard something about a Chett tune costing R3500 for the first map and then something like R800 for each subsequent map.

Sent from my Crapple iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5XT ~ Ojiisan
Ex: 2010 Suzuki Swift Sport ~ Hotaru
Ex: 2007 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD
Ex: 2004 Honda Civic 170
Ex: 2001 VW Polo Classic 1.6
Ex: 1992 Honda Ballade 160E

September 06, 2015, 10:25:56 PM
Reply #5

trapsuutjies

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Jaco - in case I haven't said so before welcome to the forum :)

I'm also looking for decat / remap work to be done. Keep in mind that, in order to do a remap, they'll need to do dyno testing and variable reading from your ECU, basically to figure out exactly how your car is running. Especially if you've already done some modifications, your map will obviously be wrong - in order to determine HOW wrong, they'll need to test several maps in order to eventually build your own custom map fine tuned to your car, with your mods, and tweaked on your requirements (low rev torque, or lower consumption, boost only when the engine is hot, or whatever). All of this involves a certain risk, which presumably they have to pay some insurance company for, just in case they blow your engine while getting a map. The amount of time, risk, and specialized software they need to use, all carry a premium - and I understand a 4x4 dyno is also not that easy to come by - Of course I'd like to pay someone R200 and a bottle of rum to do my own remap, but I can understand that they charge three or four thousand for it. Chett himself is on the forum from time to time, and he'll obviously be able to give you a much more detailed breakdown of the costs involved.
I was recently at Dastek, where they quoted me nearly R4000 for doing the remap - they've been working on Subarus for a LONG time so one can assume they know what they're doing, but that should give you an idea of the going rate.
Due to the high cost, I have started on the journey of doing my own remap, and the amount of work involved just in figuring out what everything does is staggering - you can't just change one thing and hope it won't change another, you have to meticulously calculate every change you want to make otherwise you might end up with a perforated engine block. I can send you the information I've accumulated so far if you're interested.

September 06, 2015, 11:42:54 PM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Lets say they charge R500 per hour and spend 6 hours on your car. R3000-00 boom.
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

September 07, 2015, 06:50:57 AM
Reply #7

Jaco

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok thanx for the info guys. Not realy intrested to do my own mapping, I know it wont end good. Will phone chet and auto sound  engineering and  depending on who is least fully booked, I will chose them as Im itching now to drive my fozzie again. ;D

September 07, 2015, 07:17:38 AM
Reply #8

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Jaco,

I got my Foz back from Chett this past week and he is a fair bit cheaper than R4.5k.

The tune is awesome (even sometimes a little scary fast) and the car is very drivable.

My recommendation- go to Chett
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"A-line Racer wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

September 07, 2015, 12:47:57 PM
Reply #9

GODZILLA

• View Profile
    • Email
Jaco - Go to Chett you won't be sorry 8)

September 07, 2015, 12:54:47 PM
Reply #10

GODZILLA

• View Profile
    • Email
Trapsuutjies - Speak to Wayne Hay (there is a thread on the forum with his details) for the decat (I would recommend a downpipe as well) and then Chett will sort out your tuning. Chett tunes on the road so your car is tuned for real world conditions. Chett records logs of each run he takes with your car and affects changes based on the results of the logs. He repeats the process until he is happy that your car performs at an optimal level.   

September 10, 2015, 08:33:17 PM
Reply #11

• Personal Text
    Brrrrrrr Tsssss
    • View Profile
What is chett's cell no. ? I am getting no answer on the 079

September 11, 2015, 07:29:50 AM
Reply #12

Ganjora

• View Profile
    • Email

September 11, 2015, 02:10:50 PM
Reply #13

• Personal Text
    Brrrrrrr Tsssss
    • View Profile
done. hope it works.

8)

September 13, 2015, 06:25:03 PM
Reply #14

dreamerza

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe chett can do some charity trips to KZN to help us Durbanites with get some wikid tunes :D
SG9 XT 
LSS Sump Guard
LSS Diff Guard
WRX 4 Pots
3"Turbo Back from A.C.E Performance
PSPerformance Tuned
Romic Motors Maintained
Willing to get muddy!