Author Topic: N/A chipped?  (Read 2853 times)

November 24, 2015, 09:51:57 AM
Read 2853 times

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Opinion wanted please

Has anybody chipped (Unichip.....) a N/A SG9 2005?

Trying to get rid of "ping" and hesitation, and maybe get better, but more constant fuel consumption.

Ping i can "cure" with octane booster, but that's no permanent solution.

I've been quoted R3100 - R3500 to chip & tune.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 24, 2015, 10:23:38 AM
Reply #1

JoeDijeaux

Honestly, you can get the same results from just having the car remapped without installing a unichip.

November 24, 2015, 10:53:09 AM
Reply #2

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
The N/A can't be re-mapped, "everybody" tells me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:00:41 AM by berndp »
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 24, 2015, 11:45:09 AM
Reply #3

4wdrift

• View Profile
Then go for the unichip. If you want a map selector you can have various modes programmed into it. Valet mode where it wont rev above 3k rpm, immobilised mode where it wont run. Or you can have a african fuel map and a 95 map. There are 5 maps with the selector, but each one cost a bit to program.

November 24, 2015, 01:04:41 PM
Reply #4

JoeDijeaux

Horse crap. I have the EcuFlash definitions and a ROM file for the 2005 X/XS ECU right here on my computer. It's a bit different, but it's map-able. It apparently doesn't have fine-learning knock control methods, which means it immediately pulls timing across the board anytime it encounters knock. But you can still fiddle with the timing. I heard the same regarding a 2.0 litre Opel Astra. I was told it can't be mapped, but it has the exact same Motronics ECU as the GTC and OPC, and those can be mapped just fine.  I assume it's more a matter of guys not wanting to go in without an off-the-shelf map from which to work and possibly screwing up your car (and the lawsuit that follows).

November 24, 2015, 01:29:04 PM
Reply #5

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi JD,
Do you do this type of work?
Where are you located?
Can you suggest someone who can do this, if you don't?
 :) Why do you have those files?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 24, 2015, 01:50:52 PM
Reply #6

JoeDijeaux

I don't do this thing as a rule, I just learned about it so I could do my XT's maps myself. I have quite a collection of Subaru files just because I got a lot of them from the RomRaider forums.

I don't feel comfortable working on someone else's car at this stage. If I break mine, I have to walk to work. If I break your's I have to give you lots of money (which I don't have). Ask Chett if he wants to take a crack at it. Otherwise just go with the Unichip.

BTW, I'm the guy who bought the Cowley silencer from you.

November 24, 2015, 02:17:13 PM
Reply #7

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, understood : the walking / money bit.

How's the Cowley?

For me, Chett is a bit far.

I spoke to the Wulfchip guy, and he says they can look & see if they can read/modify the map.

If I go the chip way, which is better? Unichip / Ecutek / Wulf / ..... /Simba(hopefully not)
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 24, 2015, 03:13:51 PM
Reply #8

JoeDijeaux

I've never heard anything bad about Unichip (Dastek). Don't know the others all that well.

The exhaust sounds great. Had a mission getting the old one off. The nuts were rusted real tight. It's pretty quiet with the center box still in place. I was hoping for a bit more boxer sound, but on the other hand I appreciate that it doesn't irritate me on long trips like a straight mid-section would have.

November 24, 2015, 05:56:53 PM
Reply #9

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
there is a unichip forsale on the subaru parts sa page for R1500.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

November 24, 2015, 10:29:10 PM
Reply #10

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
What bothers me most reading all the replies, and talking to various experts, it seems as if my car is the only one(NA Fozzy) in the country with this problem?
Unlikely isn't it? ???

Or does nobody else hear/feel it or bother about it?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 24, 2015, 10:35:06 PM
Reply #11

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I have no idea why your car is pinging. Have you checked your fuel pressure/plugs/cats

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

November 25, 2015, 08:01:19 AM
Reply #12

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
What bothers me most reading all the replies, and talking to various experts, it seems as if my car is the only one(NA Fozzy) in the country with this problem?
Unlikely isn't it? ???

Or does nobody else hear/feel it or bother about it?
You're not the only one, Bernd. Mine does it too. And if you search enough on the international Forester forum, you find cases there too. I've replaced the PCV valve, used decoking stuff on the intake, replaced the HT leads, replaced the plugs. Nothing helps. When the air temperature is hot, the car will ping on a low throttle as the engine loads up. We should get together and compare.
2005 XSel slushbox

November 25, 2015, 10:45:05 AM
Reply #13

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Proze, where-abouts are you? I'd love to compare thoughts.....

Steve, I've done HT leads, coil pack, O2 sensor(upstream), removed CATS, MAP sensor, checked EGR valve, checked fuel pressure/fuel filter.
I'm running the coldest plugs i can find in the shop.
I have not cleaned/replaced injectors.
I can't look into compression chamber to see if there is carbon buildup.
However, the ping was noted "shortly" after having head gaskets replaced.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

November 25, 2015, 11:50:45 AM
Reply #14

JoeDijeaux

Taking that into account, I am going to take a WILD guess here and say that when they skimmed your head for the gasket job, they took off too much material and inadvertently increased your compression ratio beyond the safe range. Until you find the problem, try filling up with Shell V Power. I read about a test a while ago and V Power seems to actually be 96 to 97 octane, as opposed to the stated 95. That MIGHT help.