Author Topic: N/A chipped?  (Read 2228 times)

November 25, 2015, 02:09:52 PM
Reply #15

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Bernd I'm in Pinelands in CT. To my knowledge my motor has never been opened, so it can't be a head-skimming issue in my case. The posts I found on subaruforester.org also did not indicate that. When I connect a ODB reader and run the RomRaider logger, I don't get an knock events reported, but I can hear it.
2005 XSel slushbox

November 25, 2015, 09:14:14 PM
Reply #16

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Proze, where-abouts are you? I'd love to compare thoughts.....

Steve, I've done HT leads, coil pack, O2 sensor(upstream), removed CATS, MAP sensor, checked EGR valve, checked fuel pressure/fuel filter.
I'm running the coldest plugs i can find in the shop.
I have not cleaned/replaced injectors.
I can't look into compression chamber to see if there is carbon buildup.
However, the ping was noted "shortly" after having head gaskets replaced.
Taking that into account, I am going to take a WILD guess here and say that when they skimmed your head for the gasket job, they took off too much material and inadvertently increased your compression ratio beyond the safe range. Until you find the problem, try filling up with Shell V Power. I read about a test a while ago and V Power seems to actually be 96 to 97 octane, as opposed to the stated 95. That MIGHT help.

That has to be it.

Its not a bad thing to run nf red in everytank... just works out a little more pricey.

ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

November 25, 2015, 10:25:40 PM
Reply #17

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
HG's: , I've been assured they were only "faced", not skimmed. But yes, that issue stays in the back of my mind.
I've not been able (have not tried) to figure out if the ping is LH or RH or both. It sounds like only one cylinder, but i have no grounds for that statement, except the "frequency" of the ping. I have been thinking about fitting mic's in the engine bay, but I have more "real" things to take care of at the moment.

The NF option is a bit pricey, and NF is also a VERY GOOD paint remover.

I can try the Shell option for a while, although it will also "cost" me money (Sasol.....Absa Rewards....), but it may just be worth the shot. Maybe, if the fuelling/compression ratio, is the root cause(fancy term hey?), it might be worthwhile to double up on head gaskets?

I don't know what damage is being/ has been -done to the piston/rings................
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

December 07, 2015, 10:03:38 AM
Reply #18

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Morning Bernd.

About this ping story. With the hot weather this weekend, mine was pretty bad. Does yours get worse in hot weather?

I'm thinking that the MAP/intake temp sensor combination is not correct when the ambient temperature is up. So the ECU is sending too little fuel for the airflow.

I'm going to try and resurrect the RomRaider logger on my laptop to see if I'm actually getting any "knock events" logged. Also to see what the IAM is doing. I have to solve this now, it's too annoying. Not to mention possible bad for the motor.

Regards
Paul

To be honest, I've not done much driving this last week, so it's hard to tell whether it was worse.

i've been thinking about this quite a bit again lately, and because i don't fully understand all the various stages of an engine, i came up with some ideas:
1)Seeing that after an ECU reset the engine seem better, is it possible that I'm "over-fuelling" for some reason(maybe injectors not 100%)?, the ECU sees this, and advances timing to compensate. The advance goes so extreme (i've seen timing in the 40's), that it causes pinging.
This ping is not being picked up by the knock sensor, maybe because it's too light?
2) The EGR. I don't understand what it really does, but if it works/operates, it affects cylinder no. 4 only, the one closest to the knock sensor!, What about the other cylinders, they could be running at totally different conditions?

I did a compression test over the weekend, and they actually look quite good.
1 - 1350 kPa
2 - 1350 kPa
3 - 1300 kPa opposite EGR
4 - 1350 kPa

Idle timing is at 10'BTC
Idle vacuum is at -70 kPa

?????
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:31:10 AM by berndp »
Brackenfell, W'Cape

December 09, 2015, 01:18:48 PM
Reply #19

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
So i had another look at this EGR system, and maybe it does not only affect Cyl no 4. It seems it is channeled underneath the inlet manifold into the "common box".

Can somebody confirm this? Its difficult to see there.

Even if that's the case, it will heat up the Cyl 4 intake tube, as it is part of the molding.
Whether it has that much of an effect on the one cylinder ? ?

I'm going to try and blank it off somehow, to see if it affects the engine/ping/...
Brackenfell, W'Cape

December 20, 2015, 10:58:59 AM
Reply #20

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay, so RomRaider does not give me the option to log IAM with my USB/OBD2 interface. I logged what I could.

AF Correction #1 (%) - min(-29,69) max(15,62)
A/F Sensor #1 (AFR) - min(11,94) max(21,94) - spends 95% of the time well over stoichiometric, >14.0
Knock correction advance (degrees) is largely zero, but goes down to -1.0 to -3.0 sometimes.
Ignition Total Timing (degrees) - min(0) max(47)
Knock signal - 6 events in 12000 samples, but I could hear it all the time

I logged some more stuff but I'm not sure how useful it is.

So my tank was empty yesterday and I threw in a bottle of yellow NF (http://www.nfadditives.co.za/Products_Octane-Boosters.php) before I filled up. And from some initial driving it's a different motor. It's so smooth and has more power everywhere. I tried my hardest to provoke the previous behaviour (pinging like mad on low throttle with a bit of load, also at the top of the rev range) and 98% of it is gone.

I can't believe there is no expert in SA to whom I can take this to get it sorted! I'm in CT and Julian's response is just that the 16-bit ECUs can't be tuned.
2005 XSel slushbox

December 20, 2015, 10:04:05 PM
Reply #21

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I think I must try the NF stuff again until I find a permanent solution.
Btw, i did blank off the EGR, drove it for a few days, also resetting the ECU, but the ping was adamant to stay.

One other task i want to perform, is tho check if the EGR path is not maybe blocked?
But that means removing the throttle body. Not a 1/2 hour task.

I even cleaned out the compression chambers in case there was carbon build-up: - nothing.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 18, 2016, 08:30:08 PM
Reply #22

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Opinion wanted please.
I'm seriously considering chipping my car, to get rid of the ping.....

Thoughts ?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 19, 2016, 08:50:55 AM
Reply #23

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Hah, I've also been bromming. But my concern is that whatever fuel and timing changes the Unichip makes, the ECU will then just remove as part of the algorithms in its feedback loop. This is one thing I've heard that makes some sense. I've also had wildly different Unichip price estimates. Anywhere from R1500 to R5000 installed. But I'm quite keen for you to be the guinea-pig, though. :)
2005 XSel slushbox

April 19, 2016, 04:53:34 PM
Reply #24

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I got 3 prices, all within R200 of each other, at R3k.

They say it works............
You get 3 month moneyback guarantee if it does not do the job as expected/promissed.
From Dastek via email:
"
We also promise him that if within three months he feels that it is not worth having the Unichip we will remove it and refund him the full amount, including installation and mapping fee.
"
That does give a bit peace of mind for not just throwing R3k away. I certainly can't afford to throw it away, but if it helps, then it can save my engine, hopefully, and i can drive any revs i want.
Anyway, as the chips are universal, one could even (try to) sell it afterwards to someone else. Will need re-mapping though.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 19, 2016, 08:23:48 PM
Reply #25

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, if I had the money-back promise in writing and they didn't do an absolute hatchet-job on the wiring harness, I'd be very tempted at this point.
2005 XSel slushbox

April 19, 2016, 10:25:58 PM
Reply #26

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
What I'm told (I've not seen an example, but I'll ask for one), they cut the wires they need, crimp a multi-way plug on (similar to the old "IDE"(computer) plugs), and then plug the "chip" into that. They also give you a "bypass" plug, for if the chip fails, you unplug it and plug in the bypass plug, then the car is back to stock again.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 26, 2016, 09:36:05 AM
Reply #27

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Done:
I would think not too bad for an engine with 324k km?

I'll give some feedback in a week or so.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 26, 2016, 12:58:52 PM
Reply #28

JoeDijeaux

Done:
I would think not too bad for an engine with 324k km?

I'll give some feedback in a week or so.

That extra torque in the mid-RPM band should be nice.

April 26, 2016, 01:38:05 PM
Reply #29

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
My only goal was to get rid of that damn ping & hesitation(probably also caused by ping....).
More torque would have been nice lower down, for slow sand..... driving, but we can't have it all.
Brackenfell, W'Cape