Author Topic: N/A chipped?  (Read 2852 times)

April 27, 2016, 06:09:47 AM
Reply #30

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Holding ALL the thumbs, Bernd!
2005 XSel slushbox

May 09, 2016, 09:16:06 AM
Reply #31

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Berndp, my curiosity can't take it anymore! What's the verdict?
2005 XSel slushbox

May 09, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
Reply #32

Toffie

A bit off-topic, but not totally random drivel....

I have, for the first time, used a Octane Booster in my Fozzy. On this occasion it was NF Sport (the blue bottle). Now I did not really see an increase in straight line performance or throttle response or anything like that, but the problem on some XT's where there is a hesitation on 1/4-2/3 throttle opening was totally gone. Mine is more an incremental acceleration, not a "flat-spot" feel or a "hesitation". And if you slam the pedal to the floor it doesn't happen, nor if your throttle opening is constant, like in cruising long distance.

Basically I feel confident that a good tune by a pro will solve this issue, seems it might be engine management based on ignition or knock-sensor.

May 09, 2016, 07:57:22 PM
Reply #33

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Proze,
Initial thoughts were : YES !.
Especially after first tank (300km on 1/2 mark)

However, through Baviaans and ADDO, I had some serious pinging: 1500 - 2500rpm, intake temps around 45-55'C, around 20-30% throttle. This is what I wanted to get sorted.

I could not re-produce that initial fuel consumption, but it's been mostly town/slow driving.

Once I get back home, I'll take it back and try to spend some time with the tuner (not Fortuner), to understand how this works..., and if they really understand my problem (with the car).
Maybe they just tuned it "like all the others". They did the whole job in 1/2 day anyway. :-\

So, I'm not throwing it out yet.

Toffie, NF helped for my ping problem. But it's costly. An extra R100 or so per tank? what long term damage does it do? Limited supplier options. (if you went on a road trip of say 4k km, you'll need to store about 10 bottles of this paint-remover.... in your car somewhere.)
The Wynns stuff, and other el-cheapos don't seem to work.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 10, 2016, 05:56:22 AM
Reply #34

Toffie

Yes, I agree with you. I filled up yesterday and didn't add another bottle and I do not intend to use it either way. I just did an experiment to see if the RON can play such a big difference, and it seems it can. So basically getting it proper tuned on 95 up in GP should sort my problem at smaller throttle acceleration. Like I said, full taps and cruising doesn't cause the "surging" effect, just acceleration on 20-60% throttle.

May 10, 2016, 08:56:30 AM
Reply #35

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the update, Berndp. Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but let's see what happens after the next round of tuning. I strongly suspect the ECU is just adjusting to undo whatever the Unichip is doing, though.

Toffie, I share your and berndp's experience. Some extra RON completely removes my problem, which is similar to Berndp's. A tune would be great, except the ECUs in our NAs do not allow for native tuning. Hence berndp's experiments with the piggyback.
2005 XSel slushbox

May 11, 2016, 11:01:15 PM
Reply #36

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,
Drop the "p" please, then you got my name.

This "piggy back" chip works, the way I understood it, as follows:
The signals from the various sensors are modified in the chip, in order to fool the ECU.
They would, for instance, delay the crank / cam position sensors, to affect when sparking takes place. I believe they can program values at increments of 250 rpm.
Whether they have different program tables.maps for a certain rpm, at different MAP / Intake air / TPS values, I'm not sure, but would hope so, otherwise it's useless.

They probably also play around with MAP/MAF/Intake air/Throttle position sensors.

I believe nothing is modified on the output side of the ECU, only the input side.

I'm also just learning
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 26, 2016, 10:25:27 AM
Reply #37

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Was supposed to take my car back yesterday for more tuning, but decided to talk with the tuner first.
It was agreed he would take the car in and tune it on the road, rather than just the Dyno.
This will be on Monday.
Let's hope they can improve the situation.

I do get better fuel consumption, so that is already a plus.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

June 01, 2016, 05:01:47 PM
Reply #38

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
Afternoon Bernd. Any updates?
2005 XSel slushbox

June 01, 2016, 08:06:27 PM
Reply #39

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi proze,
Sorry, not much to tell at this stage.
I did take it back, and they adjusted a bit more.
I'll have to get it nice and hot to really "bring the ping out", and have been too busy during the day to try anything.

I can confirm the hesitation is less, or at least more smoothed out.

I also queried the "almost stall" situation I've experienced when pulling away at low revs. They advised me to reduce the plug gap by 0.2 m/m. This I did tonight, and realized my plugs are fairly shot, so I'll have to fork out the almost R1K for new ones pretty soon.
I did reduce the gap, so I'll see in the next few days what improvement (or not) the smaller gap has made.

Trying to understand how they (the chip), does the timing retard, I was told that the chip delays the crank position signal to the ECU, by the "degrees" they program in the map.
This they can do for every 250 rpm, at various throttle positions.(don't know what increments).

I hope to give some more feedback after the weekend.
Brackenfell, W'Cape