Author Topic: OBDII with Torque: What works?  (Read 2838 times)

December 14, 2015, 03:31:17 PM
Reply #15

bushtech

• View Profile
    • Email
Say for instance you replace the oil temp sensor with an oil temp sender which gives oil temps is the correct cabling there for it to be plugged in and read by the ecu and displayed in torque?
05 XT AT Pretty much standard

January 04, 2016, 01:28:47 PM
Reply #16

JoeDijeaux

How accurate is the 'Engine kw'?

Is there anything I need to change in Torque settings to get a more accurate reading?

Ignore everything else I said about this. It only factors in your car's weight and the data from the phone's accelerometer. I know this because my Engine kW display continued working when I removed the bluetooth dongle. So it's a simple calculation based on weight and acceleration. Please don't ask me how the calculation seems accurate regardless of the gear you're in though.

It is very accurate though, assuming you can accurately estimate how much your car weighs including yourself and any cargo. I get about 182kW and that's just about what I'd expect from a peak 1.1bar and 10.5 AFR tune.

January 04, 2016, 10:32:21 PM
Reply #17

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Would be interesting to see what the kW indicate while on a Dyno  :)
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 04, 2016, 10:46:33 PM
Reply #18

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
to the subject of this post.

I'm still playing around with the App, bought it mainly to figure out my ping issue.

Anyway, went to Cederberg Oasis on Sunday for lunch  :), and the car started overheating. Ok, so it was 40'c outside, but that shouldn't matter.
Switched on the app (luckily had the BT adapter plugged in, and this allowed me to keep on driving, yet not overheat. When the temp got to over 100'C, I knew(found this out quickly) it was pushing water out into the bottle. Then i stopped, let it suck the water back, and carried on again.
So, R350 well spent. (R300 for the BT adapter (Zasstra), and R 54 for the app.

I suppose my HG is on the way out.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 05, 2016, 10:44:59 AM
Reply #19

JoeDijeaux

You told me that your HG was sweating a bit a couple of months ago when I bought the rear silencer from you, so yes it's probably about to happen. Usually at this point I would recommend replacing the radiator caps first because sometimes they're the culprits. It's a good idea anyway because mine went bad shortly after my HG replacement anyway. There are ways to extend the time you can drive with a blown HG. The first thing would be to either remove the thermostat completely or drill a hole or two in it so it's permanently "open". This should prevent your car from overheating but it will slightly increase wear and tear and fuel consumption.

January 05, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
Reply #20

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Got a new cap today and fitted it tonite.

I think I must take the car for a "load test", say up Sir Lowry's pass, to see if it throws coolant again. Although Sir Lowry's is not as long as Du Toit's Kloof, it's a better climb, which will cause the engine to labour more. If the HG is problematic, it should throw coolant again.

I drove yesterday & today with the AC on - B'Fell/Epping/Montague Gardens/City/home, no problems, but then it's all flat roads.

Anyway, I/m seriously looking at a solution to this:
http://foresterforum.co.za/index.php/topic,2200.0.html

My thinking:
you don't just loose coolant, unless the bottle is broken.
However, if the car overheats, or the HG has blow-by, it will push water into the bottle, and if not noticed quickly, the bottle will fill/overflow. Only at about this stage, does the needle on the dash start to rise, and then it's almost too late.
So, if I can monitor the bottle level, i can raise an alarm if the level rises beyond a certain point, meaning coolant is being pushed into it from the radiator.
Also, if it drops to far, an alarm can be raised.
Add to this coolant temperature, and maybe even coolant pressure, you'll have a good early warning system, and you can manage the coolant/engine temperature, thereby getting you to the other side, yet still protecting the engine from further damage.

I've got some ideas I'm toying with.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 06, 2016, 09:19:19 AM
Reply #21

JoeDijeaux

Pretty clever. I keep torque on all the time. I've learned that, at least for the XT, anytime the coolant goes above 97 degrees something is wrong (or it's just very hot outside).

But the foresters really do need a coolant level sensor. Even my 2005 Opel had one.

January 06, 2016, 10:52:32 PM
Reply #22

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
fitted new radiator cap today.
Fitted webcam to monitor reservoir coolant level. After the trip, I modified the webcam setup for better viewing.
Below are some pics.

Anyway, my test trip today involved the following:
From Epping>Paarden Eiland>Brackenfell>Sir Lowry's via Stellies>Grabouw>Viljoens Pass to Theewaters>Franshoek Pass>Helshoogte>Brackenfell.
In the passes, i tried low revs (engine labouring), high revs, all with AC on, but I could not re-construct the overheating issue.
Yes, ambient was 10 - 20'C less than on Sunday. Still, I was hoping(dreading) to see the water rise in the reservoir, but for the whole trip, it increased by about 20 m/m, and that's in the smallest section of the reservoir, so not much at all.

Here's some pics of my revised webcam setup.

Reservoir with ambient light:

Reservoir - glow-in-the-dark (LED strip fitted between reservoir and fan cowl).
Green dot indicates webcam, clamped to battery:

(Sorry, could not get this one rotated to match previous image)

Tablet pc display, with torque app on mobile phone in back.
On tablet display, the bottom triangle indicates current "cold" level. The rectangle higher up is where the reservoir tapers back towards the fill cap, for reference purpose.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 07, 2016, 09:35:58 AM
Reply #23

JoeDijeaux

Let's hope that's all it was.

January 08, 2016, 07:55:16 AM
Reply #24

chickenlip

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi there,

does the torque app give real time litres per Kilometre and is it accurate enough to work on?
2006 XT (MT)

ScoobySport Back Box

JHB South

January 08, 2016, 08:48:10 AM
Reply #25

JoeDijeaux

Hi there,

does the torque app give real time litres per Kilometre and is it accurate enough to work on?

Yes and yes. If you doubt it, there is an option to add a correction factor in the settings. My Torque tells me I'm using about 12l/100km which works out to about 8.5km/l. That seems pretty accurate considering I get about 400km on a tank (55 liters) before the light comes on.

January 10, 2016, 10:51:01 AM
Reply #26

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't think the SG's have a fuel meter.
Torque (AFAIK) uses maybe fuel guage info, car data (weight/power), running conditions(rpm/MAP/MAF/throttle position/engine load/.....) to calculate fuel consumption.

I think newer models do have fuel meters.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 10, 2016, 01:05:34 PM
Reply #27

dreamerza

• View Profile
    • Email
I the coolant side of things, my temps were reading high when facing downhill, no loss of coolant etc, car was in at subaru for a rad flush and during thst they found the thermostat was faulty. Replaced it and it's gaskets ( +- R250 )  and haven't had issue since.
Also got new radiator caps same time, so hard to say what made the difference but maybe something to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:09:59 PM by dreamerza »
SG9 XT 
LSS Sump Guard
LSS Diff Guard
WRX 4 Pots
3"Turbo Back from A.C.E Performance
PSPerformance Tuned
Romic Motors Maintained
Willing to get muddy!

January 11, 2016, 11:02:05 AM
Reply #28

JoeDijeaux

I the coolant side of things, my temps were reading high when facing downhill, no loss of coolant etc, car was in at subaru for a rad flush and during thst they found the thermostat was faulty. Replaced it and it's gaskets ( +- R250 )  and haven't had issue since.
Also got new radiator caps same time, so hard to say what made the difference but maybe something to keep in mind.

I can tell you that the radiator caps are almost always to blame if it's not the headgasket.

January 11, 2016, 01:25:43 PM
Reply #29

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm likely to agree wrt to the cap/thermostat now.

They're anyway cheap(& easy) to replace.
Brackenfell, W'Cape