Author Topic: Upington trip  (Read 463 times)

January 28, 2016, 11:03:39 PM
Read 463 times

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
So, I had to go to Upington last week.
Took the Missus along.
Drove to Loeriesfontein first day (obviously avoiding tar as far as possible). Very nice accommodation we had, although not much happening in that dorpie.
At least they got rain shortly after we arrived.

Then we took the back roads to Kakamas, hit a few dead-ends, courtesy of our GPS. When there is a big yellow sign at the farm gate advising you that you might get shot......, I normally turn around and look for another route.

Anyway, had some good rain along the way, and lots of rain in Upington.

On the way back, stopped over at Augrabies, stayed in Augrabies (settlement) on a farm (very nice).

Next day, had a short trip planned to Bitterfontein, where we would sleep over.
We turned off at Pofadder, on the R358. Big (not so good) gravel road.
About 150km down this road: oops, road washed away.

I checked it out, and was confident that the car would make it thru. However, there was no cellphone reception (for at least 50km or more), and there were no tracks (car or horse or bike or...) on the other side. Probably more road damage further on?

So, we turned around, tried another big gravel road, water flooding, almost knee deep, at least 100m long, still. no cellphone reception.

A third option also had similar flooding.

So, we back-tracked, and found a road to Aggeneys. Now that's a real mining dorp. However, they had cheap petrol.
We eventually got the Bitterfontein 5 hours late, and about 380km wasted. not a trip we'll easily forget.
The Northern Cape had quite a bit of rain last week.

Accommodation in Bitterfontein was interesting, food was good, so was the red wine I shared with our host.

From there we headed west, via Doornbaai, Lambertsbaai, Elandsbaai (end of gravel), Veldift, home.

Whole trip was 2400km, Brackenfell - Upington - Brackenfell.
According to Google, it should not be more than about 1900km.

One does see some interesting signs along the way:

This one should have read " Grader recommended", it was really bad. (Doornbaai to Lambertsbaai)

This one appeared after about 200km down a gravel road:

The car behaved well. I had Torque running the whole trip, to monitor engine coolant temp.
I reached 100'C once, on the first (very hot) day. Never pushed out water.
No tire trouble.

I did put rubber spacers in the rear coil springs, but they didn't last. The springs kicked them out, or broke them. I must invetigate an alternative to keep the back up. the springs sag quickly with a bit of load, although i have the springs from the X model.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 29, 2016, 06:39:13 AM
Reply #1

SniperHilton

• Global Moderator

• S-Edition Fozzie

• View Profile
    • Email
Nice trip! 8)

I really love that part of the world. The Northern Caps is so open and desolate.

2013 Forester S-Edition | Chett Tuned - 1.2BAR | TNT DumpPipe | Zorst

January 29, 2016, 06:40:25 AM
Reply #2

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Lekker lekker!!!

Jy gaan HD Ironman springs moet kry.
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

January 29, 2016, 10:21:46 AM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
The only sad part of the NC is that there are a lot of empty farmsteads.

You can see the people took what the could load on the truck, locked up and left, for good.

I suppose that's life.

Ja, I'll have to look at the springs issue.

Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

February 03, 2016, 09:00:00 PM
Reply #4

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nice trip!  Makes me jealous - LOVE the West Coast (who woulda guessed?  ;D)
I'm pretty sure you'd have made it through that 1st road issue - the sand later on was trickier, I'm sure!
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..