Author Topic: Snorkel - Which One?  (Read 938 times)

February 01, 2016, 01:51:05 PM
Read 938 times

Toffie

After some research it is clear that no-one makes a SG9 Forester specific snorkel. But we have all seen them on the interwebz, looking burley and ready for off-road action with their high lift kits, off-road bias tyres and the SNORKEL.

Any info on which ones to use? Or what alternative will fit the SG9?

February 01, 2016, 03:18:36 PM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you really want to cut your fender? They do look cool though.

How often are you going to need a snorkel?

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 01, 2016, 03:34:41 PM
Reply #2

JoeDijeaux

I would rather put a few inner tubes on the outside of the car so it floats  ;D

February 01, 2016, 04:03:26 PM
Reply #3

Toffie

No decision made yet, just researching. But I need to have info to make an informed decision....   ;D

February 01, 2016, 04:21:03 PM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
No decision made yet, just researching. But I need to have info to make an informed decision....   ;D

Buy a Land cruiser :D
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 01, 2016, 04:24:47 PM
Reply #5

Toffie

Buy a Land cruiser :D

Got one.....

February 01, 2016, 05:13:57 PM
Reply #6

JoeDijeaux

If Toyota ever made a good looking Land Cruiser, all other brands would go bankrupt overnight.

February 02, 2016, 08:17:23 AM
Reply #7

Toffie

I have an older 4500EFi pick-up and I'm sure it keep a petrol refinery afloat single handedly - 4.5km/l no matter what.

Back to the topic - any info or advice on the snorkel?

February 02, 2016, 09:21:12 AM
Reply #8

JoeDijeaux

I have an older 4500EFi pick-up and I'm sure it keep a petrol refinery afloat single handedly - 4.5km/l no matter what.

Oh please! My Corsa Lite did that.

February 02, 2016, 11:17:33 PM
Reply #9

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Snorkel:
The pics i've seen indicate that you run a pipe inside the fender, to get past the shock well.
The Fozzie's door jamb is quite narrow, so I think that snorkel will always be "in your face" while driving. For the overseas(not UK) cars it's not so bad, 'cause the other guy is driving (sitting in the "passenger" (LH) seat.  :D

i did a mod on my intake by taking the resonator out, and adding an insulated pipe, into the wheel well.

Can't say it helped in any way, and i probably caused the intake to be closer to water now. I'll have to modify that mod, so that i can handle deeper waters.
After my recent Upington trip, probably up to 1000km dirtroad, I could see no dirtroad dust on the filter, which is a good sign, meaning that there is not so much dust in the wheel well.

This pic below may be a good alternative to a snorkel?
Won't give you that "whatever" look of a snorkel, but will work quite well.
It's from a Legacy, i think.
I just checked my engine bay, and there's no space to make a hole into the wiper motor chamber.  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 21, 2017, 10:24:39 PM
Reply #10

Fudmucker

• View Profile
From what I have read, snorkels are not primarily intended for water crossings,
but rather for drawing in cleaner air from above the dust churned up by tyres contacting ground...?
Like me, life is too short to be taken too seriously!

January 23, 2017, 07:48:39 AM
Reply #11

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Bet if you did the cling wrap test on snorkels, 90% of them would not be waterproof.
I think its when cars have badly designed intakes near the dust being kicked up by wheels that this would be nice. I hear they V8 guys love the sound.
Cape Town

November 21, 2017, 10:42:12 AM
Reply #12

AndyEColi

• View Profile
I do not feel that snorkel is a cool upgrade for a Forester... It's rather for Jeeps or Toyota FJCruisers, not Subies (in my humble opinion).
But here is what I know, will post here for information. If you are seeking additional hp, the top of the snorkel has to be directed forward, not backwards. This setup will allow snorkel work as a cold air intake.