Author Topic: Subaru Service Plan not up to scratch  (Read 1163 times)

March 03, 2016, 12:49:43 PM
Read 1163 times

batman

• View Profile
    • Email
I am not normally one to do this sort of thing, but I have to express how very disappointed I am in Subaru (the dealership - not the car). Specifically Somerset West branch.

Nearing the end of the 3-year factory maintenance plan, I was advised to purchase an extended service plan, which would cover all future services for an additional 3 years).  It was specifically pointed out to me that the 100,000 km service is an expensive one (cambelt), thus making the service plan seem more affordable since a large portion of that would go towards the cambelt service.

Please note :
I opted for the Full Service Plan (only option available)
I understand the difference between a Service Plan and a Maintenance Plan
No options were mentioned to me - you get a “Full Service Plan”

Where I’m going with this is that, after completion of my 100,000 km service, Motorite are refusing to pay for the service (in full), as the “cambelt option” was never taken out on the policy.  Having a Full Service Plan, I am now expected to pay out almost R7,000 - since seemingly my Full Service Plan does not include the cambelt portion (which is a factory specified service requirement btw - not a breakage).

Motorite have no proof or voice recordings, and claim that the “option” was never selected - not interested.

Subaru claim that they have no paperwork or records, and that in any event they would never allow untrained, unqualified and uncertified front-desk staff to advise and sell insurance products. (The fact that I have signed (by the receptionist) copies of the contract seems irrelevant)

Nowhere on the contract is there even mention of any additional clauses or options. 

I will pay the money - but am just very disappointed in both Subaru & Motorite’s attitudes and unwillingness to concede that one of them (or both) have made a mistake.  Yet here I am - the client - once again getting screwed by the motor industry.

If you have a Subaru and are considering purchasing an extended service plan - tread very carefully …

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:51:43 PM by batman »

March 03, 2016, 12:59:51 PM
Reply #1

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Batman,

I used to work for Subaru - unfortunately there are no options that I am aware of for different "service" plans. Only option was a full maintenance plan and that's it!

not sure how long ago you bought the car with the service plan option - but something sounds fishy! there must be records somewhere of when you bought the vehicle, files must be kept for 5 years minimum if I'm not mistaken.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

March 03, 2016, 01:39:04 PM
Reply #2

JoeDijeaux

That sucks donkey balls man. I buy an extended warranty every time I buy a car, but services are either paid in cash or with a credit card. Because I fully expect this type of thing to happen and I'd rather save up the money I would have spent on the service plan and pay cash.

If you're up for a fight, report them to RMI and any other type of ombudsman you can think of.

March 03, 2016, 01:47:31 PM
Reply #3

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Also contact SSA head office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

March 04, 2016, 11:46:42 PM
Reply #4

mauritsvw

• View Profile
    • Email
You can try the ombudsman for the motoring industry: http://www. miosa.co.za/
2012 Forester XS MT - Steel Silver (Vossie 1)
2006 Forester XT AT - Platinum Silver (Vossie 2)
Ex 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS Sportwagon - Aqua Blue (Scoob y)

March 05, 2016, 08:48:29 AM
Reply #5

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
The maintenance plan extension must be bought when the car is new. It is good but very expensive. The service plans you can buy later on, is a different product, not a Subaru product, and usually only good for giving you hassles.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

2015 Outback 3.6R-S
2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

March 05, 2016, 10:08:08 AM
Reply #6

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Bravofox is correct. I contacted my "Friend" who is a senior person somewhere at Subaru. Here is his answer:
"Daardie lyk na ń ingewikkelde probleem. Die klient het'n kontrak geteken en Motorite hou nou by daardie kontrak se reels. Daar is geen twyfel dat hy dalk 'n ander besluit sou neem indien hy ten volle ingelig was nie. Sy enigste verweer is om die persoon te verkla wat die polis verkoop het, hulle sal moet bewys dat hy ten volle ingelig is. As jy wil kan jy dit op die forum sit. Ek kan dit ongelukkig nie doen nie."
If I read him correct you must lodge a full complaint with Subaru Head Office.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:17:37 AM by jbh »
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

July 15, 2016, 10:50:15 AM
Reply #7

AlbertusB

• View Profile
    • Email
What completely stupefies me is the fact that dealerships still sell Motorite policies. I had trouble with them as well. They will try to find any loophole not to pay for anything. I took a mechanical warranty with SA Warranties. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I have had to replace my center diff , reverse gear and drivers side electric window unit at separate occasions and never had any trouble. 

July 15, 2016, 12:07:19 PM
Reply #8

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
What completely stupefies me is the fact that dealerships still sell Motorite policies. I had trouble with them as well. They will try to find any loophole not to pay for anything. I took a mechanical warranty with SA Warranties. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I have had to replace my center diff , reverse gear and drivers side electric window unit at separate occasions and never had any trouble.

Hi Albertus,

first off, welcome to the forum, head over to the introduction page please, remember to post pics of your Scoob, otherwise you will be bombed with requests to do so from other forum members.

2nd, Subaru does not make use of Motorite any longer, stopped using them 2012/2013 if i remember correctly - but i couldn't agree more with you, Motorite is not worth the paper it is written on. >:(
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:

July 16, 2016, 08:49:04 AM
Reply #9

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
You are right, JP. However, the OP's issue is with a Motorite policy that was sold to him as an extension. Something seems really off here that someone at the dealership sold such a policy to him...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

2015 Outback 3.6R-S
2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

July 18, 2016, 06:56:19 AM
Reply #10

Toffie

2nd, Subaru does not make use of Motorite any longer, stopped using them 2012/2013 if i remember correctly - but i couldn't agree more with you, Motorite is not worth the paper it is written on. >:(

Is that date correct? I'm pretty sure Subaru Centurion tried to sell me a Motorite policy in 2014 when I bought my XT from them.

July 18, 2016, 08:59:49 AM
Reply #11

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email

Is that date correct? I'm pretty sure Subaru Centurion tried to sell me a Motorite policy in 2014 when I bought my XT from them.

did you buy new or used, one thing about the maintenance plan of Subaru, you can't add it to a used Subaru - even if it is a demo. must be bought when vehicle is new, even the dealer has to buy it for a demo.... :o

that's why they might have tried their luck with the motorite.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers: