Author Topic: How fast do you drive on gravel  (Read 1790 times)

April 12, 2016, 01:44:26 PM
Read 1790 times

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I've just read a post on the 4x4 forum regarding speed.

It seems that most the country drives at 80kph on gravel  :o

Am I the only one that thinks this is crawling?

I personally drive between 110 - 120kph if the road visibility is good. Sometimes in the Karoo a little faster.  ;) 

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 12, 2016, 02:54:00 PM
Reply #1

Dene

• Personal Text
    Just do it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
In Namibia where the roads are good I travel at around a 100 kph, I suppose all depends on road conditions.

April 12, 2016, 03:29:33 PM
Reply #2

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email

I personally drive between 110 - 120kph if the road visibility is good. Sometimes in the Karoo a little faster.  ;)

when i had the Subaru same as you Steve, sometimes a bit faster, depending on the road.

haven't had the time to take the Fortuner on the gravel yet, but i'm not expecting it to handle like the Subaru.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

April 12, 2016, 05:09:47 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I normally go 80 - 100km/h.
But then most of my gravel roads don't allow higher speeds anyway  :D

Also, i'd like to see that Rhino/Eland/Gemsbok in the veld next to the road, and pothole in the road, and you tend to miss (hit, if pothole) them at high speeds.

I personally enjoy the back roads, it's not just a road from here to there. I suppose that's why i often have to turn around because it's a dead-end road, or it's washed away......
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 12, 2016, 05:41:17 PM
Reply #4

Toffie

Also normally 80-100km/h. Except if my speed governor isn't sitting next to me, then I will take it up a notch.

But I must also add that bad "good" roads, like sinkplaat and wash outs, usually are handled mutch better at speed. If you slow down to like 60km/h it really feels much worse.

April 12, 2016, 07:04:00 PM
Reply #5

4wdrift

• View Profile
As fast as the conditions safely allow, for the most part.

If its wide open anything between 90-130 as a cruising speed. Normally I drive slowly and quietly due to my loud exhaust though, so it all depends. The forester has seen 190 on open dirt when seeing what the car will safely do, it becomes unstable above 200 on dirt.

So mostly quite slowly but if the occasion presents itself I wont say no to playing a bit.

April 12, 2016, 07:38:54 PM
Reply #6

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
I've just completed 1200km of gravel road on a drive from Jhb to Cape Town. Did 80km/h most of the way. Could have gone faster, but then would not have seen so many nice thing along the way.

April 12, 2016, 10:43:50 PM
Reply #7

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
As I said.

Which way did you come down from Jozi?

I've done 2 trips from Jozi, one via eastern Freestate/Eastern Cape, the other via North West/ Northern Cape.
Both very nice.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 12, 2016, 11:08:46 PM
Reply #8

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email

when i had the Subaru same as you Steve, sometimes a bit faster, depending on the road.

haven't had the time to take the Fortuner on the gravel yet, but i'm not expecting it to handle like the Subaru.

Fortuner will do 130kph comfortably.  Just air the tires down to about 1.7bar...

April 13, 2016, 06:42:32 AM
Reply #9

divan

• View Profile
    • Email
On gravel DC roads 100 to 140  ;D The fiancee doesn't always like it...

I also go a bit faster on jeep track and other roads not really suited to cars, but that is in more specialized vehicles.

07 Subaru Forester XS
04 Subaru Forester XSel

Langebaan - Western Cape

April 13, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
Reply #10

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email

Fortuner will do 130kph comfortably.  Just air the tires down to about 1.7bar...

good to know, thanks Steve.....also still need to check the 4x4 capabilities.....now that i've got a "real" low range....should be fun ;D
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

April 13, 2016, 10:53:08 AM
Reply #11

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
My "Forester Hill" which makes a new SJ Forester sweat really really bad does not even cause wheelspin... up and over ... and back down. 
Its going to sell welllll.

@Divan, nogal gedink jy sal n bietjie vinniger ry as net 80 :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:55:28 PM by Steve »

April 13, 2016, 01:19:05 PM
Reply #12

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
So, what/where is this "Forester Hil" ?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 13, 2016, 02:41:01 PM
Reply #13

Stachel

• View Profile
    • Email
Having driven several thousand km's on gravel in Nam I know for certain that 80km/h on dirt is definitely NOT 'crawling'. I say this having twice nearly come to grief going faster and seen quite a few tourists from Europe driving trashed rentals in the middle of nowhere.

It is just not worth it for me to mess up my holiday just because the road 'looks' clear and smooth up ahead, you have off road tyres and 30cm ground clearance. Most people that speed on dirt usually haven't planned their route and overnight stops properly. The physics will always win out no matter how good you think your skills and equipment are.

Nam dirt roads can change from deep sand to gravel, to serious rocks, to dry salt, to wet salt, to freshly graded  in 5 meters or less. Each of these surfaces will determine how fast your speed should be. Hitting wet salt when doing 120kph on dry salt moments ago is something that is hard to explain to someone who did not even know there are such things as salt roads.

'07 XT Manual.
Decat, Free Flow zorst.
Chett Tjoon
Sec Air pump removed.

April 13, 2016, 03:01:48 PM
Reply #14

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I think, I need to rephrase to driving faster on familiar roads. Around my town are three gravel roads. One to Malmesbury, One to Gouda and the last to Wellington.  All of them are in relatively good shape and offer very good  visibility. Only the one to Wellington *haaskraal one has a tendency to go beyond the 120kph in places mark due to the smoothness of it.

I also hit a gravel road once in the Karoo. Took at nice and easy at about 120kph and a few minutes down the road, I looked down and was doing closer to 150kph.  The speed is not the problem, its getting the vehicle to stop from those speeds.