Author Topic: SG Timing belt  (Read 3137 times)

April 15, 2016, 04:04:06 PM
Reply #15

bushtech

• View Profile
    • Email
So who is the R2k (upmarket) spares shop?
05 XT AT Pretty much standard

April 15, 2016, 10:22:06 PM
Reply #16

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Hyper Autoparts- Brackenfell, next to Mc :P (donalds)
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 16, 2016, 01:01:20 AM
Reply #17

Hanlu

• View Profile
So Ford spares you get at 7/11 and Subaru parts you can get with a happy meal. :)

April 16, 2016, 09:05:57 AM
Reply #18

bushtech

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks berndp

Bit far for us Valies but I'll check if they got a branch up here
05 XT AT Pretty much standard

April 16, 2016, 02:13:59 PM
Reply #19

Durbanboy

I paid R890 at SSA CT for my timing belt.

April 17, 2016, 10:43:11 AM
Reply #20

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
SSA quoted me R970 ex VAT for the belt, last week.

Anyway, did the job yesterday. From "opening the bonnet, to closing it", 5 hours. That included washing the front of the engine (behind the belt), and taking the belt off again, because I let it slip a few teeth, by turning the wrong pulley while checking.

Note: the crank bolt works fine to turn the crankshaft for lining up... I used a spacer to make up for the length of the bolt. The problem however comes, when you need to undo the bolt, to fit the covers and pulley again. You need to lock the crank. Don't use the cam pulleys, as this will cause the belt to slip, then you start over again.
Make sure you fit the guide over the crank pulley before putting the covers back. I almost forgot mine  :)

Loosening the crank bolt was not soooo difficult: 400mm power bar + 700mm pipe over it, total length about 900mm. Then "put your back into it", it will budge.
I already had a gadget to lock the pulley, which locates in 2 of the crank pulley hole, and rests against the power steering pump pulley.
Tightening: same tools, I tightened it, then some more, took a breath, and then tightened some more.

So, now I'm good for another 100k km or so. hopefully the bearing last.
My old belt was still in a very good condition, no visible wear or deformation of the teeth, no fraying,.....
I probably changed it way too early( @ 113k km), but I'm going down to Baviaans/PE later this month and decided to "play it save".

My belt is a Gates power grip.
The idlers/tensioner are engi (www.engitensioner.com), except for the "idler no. 2"(the one with the shoulder at the back), which is near cylinder 1. This one is from GMB. The old one was also from GMB, and it's the only bearing that threw some grease out. So, maybe stay away from GMB (no, not BMG)

Don't know how good the engi stuff is. The bearings are "no-name". The sales guy said "we have not had any complaints", but I think that's the standard answer to any quality related questions. ;)
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 23, 2019, 09:01:48 AM
Reply #21

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
So, I had a bad knocking noise from the engine, and thought it was a bearing or even piston slap.
After soem good advice from a friend, I investigated the front side of the motor, and found the source of the noise to be the timing belt tensioner. It was pap, and when the engine runs, it knocks against that steel shaft where it is supposed to push against.

So, this tensioner lasted 70k km. Not very good  :( :(
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 23, 2019, 02:43:49 PM
Reply #22

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Eish.
 You could have lost your engine. Was it that more affordable than original Subaru parts?
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

April 23, 2019, 05:29:44 PM
Reply #23

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Eish.
 You could have lost your engine. Was it that more affordable than original Subaru parts?

Yes, it was much better priced than agents.

Anyway, today I bought a Gates kit, belt + tensioner + 3x idler pulleys, for R3000.00
Idlers etc. are as usual "no name"
It includes a red plastic "cup", which I assume is to get the correct clearance between the crank pullely/belt guide.
Brackenfell, W'Cape