Author Topic: Rear Window  (Read 935 times)

April 29, 2016, 09:37:33 AM
Read 935 times

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
2010 XT - Rear window is getting blurry marks - appears as if the tint coating is deteriorating. Have tried cleaning without success. Thought of polish ? Is the only solution replacement? Advice welcome.

April 29, 2016, 10:16:41 AM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Can the tint be removed?

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 29, 2016, 10:36:07 AM
Reply #2

JoeDijeaux

I ripped the tint off of one of my cars' rear window. You don't really notice how bad it gets until you see the aftermath. Cleaned it thoroughly with some spirits and had a new film fitted. It really is worth it.

May 02, 2016, 08:41:46 AM
Reply #3

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
I ripped the tint off of one of my cars' rear window. You don't really notice how bad it gets until you see the aftermath. Cleaned it thoroughly with some spirits and had a new film fitted. It really is worth it.

This is clearly a factory fitted coating and certainly would not "rip-off". I was wondering if this is a common failure due to ultraviolet and the heated window?

May 02, 2016, 09:10:21 AM
Reply #4

Toffie

I haven't heard of it before and it doesn't seem to be a very common problem reported on the interwebz.

Anybody know the cost to replace the back window?

May 02, 2016, 09:42:07 AM
Reply #5

bushtech

• View Profile
    • Email
Manufacturing defect ? I would definitely speak to SSA about it.
05 XT AT Pretty much standard

May 06, 2016, 07:57:36 PM
Reply #6

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Those old Volvo's had a problem with the rear windows. But that was from the 70's I think.
Probably not the same problem.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 09, 2016, 09:13:06 AM
Reply #7

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
no use in speaking to SSA - if the rear window was tinted they won't/can't do anything about it. be careful with taking the tinting off as well, one can damage the rear-demister meaning replacement of the rear window, we had a case like that on a WRX. company did poor job with tinting, owner asked them to re-do it, they took off the tinting, damaged the demister in the process and had to replace the window.... :o
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

May 09, 2016, 09:45:34 AM
Reply #8

Toffie

Those old Volvo's had a problem with the rear windows. But that was from the 70's I think.
Probably not the same problem.

Merc's too. The lamination between the 2 glass layers use to bubble and/or go brownish. But it was after 30 years of sun, so might not really be a "problem".

May 10, 2016, 11:04:22 PM
Reply #9

BiG DoM

• View Profile
    • Email
I will need to speak to my local agent. This is clearly not an aftermarket coating but OEM. I believe the vehicle has the smash and grab factory tinting all round.

May 12, 2016, 01:27:24 PM
Reply #10

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
I will need to speak to my local agent. This is clearly not an aftermarket coating but OEM. I believe the vehicle has the smash and grab factory tinting all round.

pics will help, as far as i can remember the rear window of the 2010 XT's were clear and not "smoked" as the newer ones. as i said, post some pics.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask