Author Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 356 times)

August 02, 2016, 11:38:14 PM
Read 356 times

Durbanboy

• View Profile
    • Email
My starter packed up. I took it off and took it apart. I noticed some bad wear on the nose cone where the bearing fits in. There was also wear on the front bushing. I couldn't find anything locally so I cleaned, lubed and re-installed it so I could get around.

It took a final dump last Thursday and I took it to East Coast Electrical in Durban for R&R.
They could not find a replacement locally except SSA who quoted R10K for a new starter. I opted for a repair as my insurance only pays up to R3K for electrical.
They had new bushes made and called me Friday to collect it.

After installation and testing, it sounds like new, not like an APU firing up a Boeing 707, which it has done for the past year.

Alan at ECE is great, even giving me a set of brushes for my sunroof motor at no charge.

A good check is to make sure the spade connector on the solenoid is tight and free of corrosion/dirt. This will save heaps of checking and scratching of heads when troubleshooting starter problems.
2003 Xec AT
Decat, 57mm SS Cowley freeflow
220l p/h fuel pump
HUCO plug leads
KYB shocks

August 03, 2016, 06:05:49 PM
Reply #1

josny1964

• Personal Text
    6 STAR AWD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi
I have a contact for NEW after market starters @R1500.00 EXCL shipping for M/T
The A/T we should have at the end of November @R2500.00 EX shipping.
I have serviced a couple with mixed luck.
SUBARUKI in progress

August 04, 2016, 11:46:57 AM
Reply #2

Durbanboy

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi
I have a contact for NEW after market starters @R1500.00 EXCL shipping for M/T
The A/T we should have at the end of November @R2500.00 EX shipping.
I have serviced a couple with mixed luck.

Many thanks for this. There are 3 other SG's in my suburb I know of. I will pass the word around as this is cheaper than a repair!

An interesting note is the helical/planetary gear set up in these starters. First time I have seen it in a car starter.
2003 Xec AT
Decat, 57mm SS Cowley freeflow
220l p/h fuel pump
HUCO plug leads
KYB shocks

August 11, 2016, 07:03:12 AM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
A lot of "modern" (espescially Jap) cars have this. The smaller motors must be cheaper, and would also draw less current, so the battery can be smaller. Also less weight/space.........
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape