Author Topic: Ian's 2004 XT  (Read 1771 times)

September 19, 2016, 02:47:45 PM
Reply #15

JoeDijeaux

The 6-cylinder ones then. They also don't have timing belts, which is another plus.

September 20, 2016, 08:51:30 AM
Reply #16

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
The 6-cylinder ones then. They also don't have timing belts, which is another plus.

bulletproof those flat 6 Outback's....... 8)
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

September 20, 2016, 09:10:10 AM
Reply #17

IanF

• View Profile
In terms of head gasket issues; is there anything one can do to minimise the risk? Other than changing the coolant and anti freeze regularly? Are particular model years more at risk?

September 20, 2016, 10:45:21 AM
Reply #18

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
In terms of head gasket issues; is there anything one can do to minimise the risk? Other than changing the coolant and anti freeze regularly? Are particular model years more at risk?

For a Foz, get a bluetooth dongle and an app to monitor engine parameters. Torque is good for android.

I'm not sure there is much can be done to avoid it happening just noticing the temperatures before they hit sky high will save the heads from needing engineering work. If you're rebuilding, you can use aftermarket head studs that can help the issue.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, Custom 20g turbo, STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255, Custom turbo inlet, intake spacers, Gizmo Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilies, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS Discs, Coolboost WMI, Intent Performance Tuned

September 20, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
Reply #19

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been very lucky. Out of 3 foresters and 1 sti.  It one suffered any temp issues. All had oem radiators with my prodrive on 105 000km, my 2.5x on 228 000km and my XT on 250 000km.  Even my Sti had a stock radiator.

Check fluid at the very least once a week. I don't drive my OB often but check it when I do.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

September 20, 2016, 11:06:42 AM
Reply #20

JoeDijeaux

You can replace the radiator caps. I did both because they're cheap enough. My car overheated once because of them. Luckily I caught it in time. You can also change the coolant every 6 months or at least once every year. The coolant tends to get acidic after a while and eats away at the head gasket.

September 20, 2016, 11:17:23 AM
Reply #21

IanF

• View Profile
Ok thanks for the info. Coolant has always been replaced every year and new radiator installed by the dealer at 150000km. New engine now has less than 10000km on so hopefully I should be ok for a some time still. I'll keep a close watch on coolant and keep up the good maintenance.

September 20, 2016, 10:03:07 PM
Reply #22

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
The XT is so much fun to drive, that I was not very keen to hook up the trailer for the next trip. Instead I made up an aluminium rack which I bolted to the standard roof bars.

Please elaborate (with detailed sketches/design calcs/ stress analysis/ wind effect  ;D ;D ;D ;D) of the rack you made.

What I see: alu angle, with squarebar welded or rivited in between, then bolted to the sides of the square cross bars?
That seems easy, yet strong/fit-for-purpose.

What paint did you use?

BTW, welcome here.
Nice car
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 26, 2016, 02:38:31 PM
Reply #23

IanF

• View Profile
Ok sorry for the reply that is a bit slow. Herewith the specs for the roof rack!

Length is 1200mm and breadth is 1070mm. This is the exact size you need for a perfect fit for 6 ammo boxes. It is also exactly the maximum length possible between the Subaru roof bars so amazingly lucky there.

I used 19x19mm aluminium square tubing for the base but the two outer pieces or 25x25mm. This is for two reasons. The ammo boxes don't rest on these pieces but the ratchet straps are attached here and pull against them. They therefore need to be a bit stronger than the other pieces. You could just use 19x19mm mild steel or aluminium with thicker wall thickness but the higher profile of the 25x25mm creates a small edge to help keep the ammo boxes in position.

For the same reason I used 25x25mm aluminium equal angle along the front and back edges. The square tubing is just attached with rivets which is more than adequate. The equal angle is attached to the roof bars with tec screws which means it can be removed if necessary. The roof bars are about 23mm thick so overall height is hardly changed and I get absolutely zero wind noise empty or laden. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

September 26, 2016, 02:51:23 PM
Reply #24

IanF

• View Profile

September 28, 2016, 12:15:20 PM
Reply #25

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Very good, thanks.

Are you not concerned that the riviets may vibrate loose (gravel roads)?

You know that there are specific points where the roof bars should be fitted on the Fozzie. That's mainly because it's above the door posts, so max. strength. Personally I don't think that should matter.

Fitting the frame where you did(inside the bars) helps keep the COG down. Not much, but every bit helps.

What do you need that space for? Camping stuff?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 28, 2016, 12:32:22 PM
Reply #26

IanF

• View Profile
I'll keep an eye on the rivets but I doubt they will be an issue. The square tubing rests on the angle iron. The rivets don't carry any load at all; they are just there for location.

I didn't know about the specific points that the roof bars are supposed to be attached. But I also don't think it will be a problem. I don't intend overloading the roof rack at all.

I wanted to get the rack as low as possible. I did consider mounting underneath the roof bars but that would have meant it would be just too narrow to fit the 6 ammo boxes. I'm also going to make use of that available space now to put brackets that will hold an aluminium table underneath the roof rack.

If we go camping for an extended period I will probably still take a trailer. We do lots of weekends away where we stay in self catering accommodation and carrying food for a family of 5 takes up a lot of space. Bedding too if we have to take that. Having 6 ammo boxes on the roof means we can now easily fit that stuff in and not have to take a trailer instead.

October 01, 2016, 10:51:13 AM
Reply #27

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Ian, FYI.
This is for the SG, and I suppose others with the same roof structure (Imprezza...)

Brackenfell, W'Cape

October 06, 2016, 01:34:19 PM
Reply #28

IanF

• View Profile

October 06, 2016, 01:35:34 PM
Reply #29

IanF

• View Profile