Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 1688 times)

October 05, 2016, 09:55:57 AM
Read 1688 times

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
I seem to be coming to this forum more and more as my car ages *sigh*
So anyway yesterday as I approach home after maybe six kms on the highway at tops 140, I see some smoke coming from my bonnet, and a smell of burning oil.
Coasted back home and opened up the bonnet and after a while located a little pool of oil that was burning off slowly (see attached crappy photo, sorry). Its on the driver's side of the engine quite far down. Will take a better picture later...
So I parked the car overnight, no leaks on the ground and topped up the oil - it needed quite a bit - 750 ml, which is unusual, but understandable if there is a leak.
this morning I drove 8km to work very slowly, keeping the revs down and didn't experience and more smoke or smells.
Does someone have an idea what this can be, where the oil can be leaking from? Car drives fine, no oil in water, or water in oil.
Its a 2007 XT with around 221000 kms, timing belt done at 200000
thanks in advance

[attachment deleted by admin]

October 05, 2016, 10:27:10 AM
Reply #1

sav

• View Profile
Can't remember now but I think there is a banjo bolt around there?
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

October 05, 2016, 12:30:04 PM
Reply #2

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Oil spreads around the top of the engine quite easily on these motors. Best is to wash everything off with Prepsol and then idle or drive the car (stopping frequently) and try to locate the leak when it starts. Use a strong flashlight.

I had one that drove me from port to starboard like a madman. Even thought the block was cracked at some stage. Turned out to be a small breather pipe just below the throttle body.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

October 05, 2016, 12:42:41 PM
Reply #3

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
Gentlemen, thanks for the advice.
As always, SAV and LSS.
Cheers

October 05, 2016, 12:54:53 PM
Reply #4

sav

• View Profile
Pleasure. Good point LSS, the PCV valve is directly below the throttle body and underneath that is the crank breather which connects both to the inlet hose wit a small Y coupling. That coupling does become brittle and could very well be the source of the leak.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

October 05, 2016, 03:49:10 PM
Reply #5

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
Pleasure. Good point LSS, the PCV valve is directly below the throttle body and underneath that is the crank breather which connects both to the inlet hose wit a small Y coupling. That coupling does become brittle and could very well be the source of the leak.

Ok but do you think that scenario would result in oil only leaking when the engine in running? The is absolutely zero oil on the ground when the car stands overnight or during the day at work.

Cheers

October 05, 2016, 03:54:45 PM
Reply #6

sav

• View Profile

Ok but do you think that scenario would result in oil only leaking when the engine in running? The is absolutely zero oil on the ground when the car stands overnight or during the day at work.

Cheers
It would most likely only leak/sweat under load/boost.

October 06, 2016, 06:16:10 AM
Reply #7

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
ya that seems to be the case, only under load.....I want to post a better picture depicting the exact location of the pool so that hopefully it can be narrowed down further - thanks!!!

October 06, 2016, 08:30:16 PM
Reply #8

josny1964

• Personal Text
    6 STAR AWD
    • View Profile
    • Email
That oil look close to the front of the engine. There is a banjo for the VVT System. Check if the banjo bolt 17mm socket if I am not mistaken.
SUBARUKI in progress

October 07, 2016, 03:41:37 PM
Reply #9

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
That oil look close to the front of the engine. There is a banjo for the VVT System. Check if the banjo bolt 17mm socket if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Josny - its on the drivers side, would you consider that to generally be the front, because its a boxer engine? Just asking, cheers

October 07, 2016, 09:04:12 PM
Reply #10

josny1964

• Personal Text
    6 STAR AWD
    • View Profile
    • Email
The front:  closer to the cam sprockets than  the turbo. As I can see the power steering pipe close to the oil spot. It could also be power steering fluid, but that will not effect the engine oil level.
In the spot in the photo, the only other possibility is cam seal , the oil ran down the front of T Belt cover onto the outlet manifold and cause smoke and burning oil smell. You can get underneath the car and feel for oil on top of manifold heat shield .
SUBARUKI in progress

October 09, 2016, 09:19:52 AM
Reply #11

sniffter

• sniffter

• View Profile
    • Email
The front:  closer to the cam sprockets than  the turbo. As I can see the power steering pipe close to the oil spot. It could also be power steering fluid, but that will not effect the engine oil level.
In the spot in the photo, the only other possibility is cam seal , the oil ran down the front of T Belt cover onto the outlet manifold and cause smoke and burning oil smell. You can get underneath the car and feel for oil on top of manifold heat shield .

thanks Josny - my power steering has been giving problems for a while now, I have to top up the fluid from time to time and just the other day (before I got this little pool/burning smell) I had accidentally overfilled the power steering reservoir, I mean right to the top to the point where it was overflowing, if this could actually be power steering fluid rather than oil I will be very happy - thanks for making me remember that!Cheers

October 09, 2016, 10:07:23 PM
Reply #12

josny1964

• Personal Text
    6 STAR AWD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you need info on repairing power steering leak?
SUBARUKI in progress

May 30, 2017, 06:24:12 AM
Reply #13

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
I seem to also be having this problem on my 2006 XT SShift 237000 kilos. No oil on the floor but get burning oil smell after aspirant driving. Saw some oil on the undercarriage but it does not drip to the floor. When driving conservatively there is no smell. Am not too proficient in engine speak but I am learning very quickly. Will take off my engine cover tomorrow to see where the oil may be leaking from. Hopefully it's something I can fix myself.
Have a look at where the steering shaft connects to the steering rack. All three of our Foresters have leaked there. It is a PITA to replace. Parts are under R1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

May 30, 2017, 12:49:41 PM
Reply #14

sav

• View Profile
Sounds like it could be the turbo oil return line?