Author Topic: For the Noobs  (Read 866 times)

November 18, 2016, 12:22:17 PM
Read 866 times

dk

• View Profile
    • Email
G'day all.

For a noob regarding all things ECU, monitoring, logging, fault codes, what's the best way to start?

1) Connector for the car's OBDII, which I assume goes to a USB on the other end?
2) Software application and it's relevant Operating System?

Want and need to start learning about the brains of these cars.
Any advice?
His: 2005 XT Auto Silver
Hers: 2005 XS Auto Gold

November 18, 2016, 12:53:11 PM
Reply #1

JoeDijeaux

The best monitoring app by far is Torque for Android. Dashcommander for IOS is good too, but Torque beats its socks off. You would need a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to connect the app to the ECU.

The drawback of Torque is that it only monitors standard parameters. If you want to monitor Subaru-specific parameters, you'd need to know their address and create a custom gauge.

Then there's the Tactric cable which would allow you to log all the Subaru-specific parameters, but unless you want to keep it connected to a laptop while you're driving, you can only see what's going on once you download the log file and inspect it in Excel or Open Office's Calc.

The tactrix cable is around R2500 delivered and the RomRaider and ECUFlash applications for the laptop are free. Torque + the Bluetooth dongle would work out around R300.

November 18, 2016, 01:05:11 PM
Reply #2

dk

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanx!

I don't mind getting my fingers blistered with code and raw data, I'm in the dev industry.

Any alternatives to tactrix which can provide the same info but at a cheaper price?

His: 2005 XT Auto Silver
Hers: 2005 XS Auto Gold

November 18, 2016, 02:34:57 PM
Reply #3

JoeDijeaux

Thanx!

I don't mind getting my fingers blistered with code and raw data, I'm in the dev industry.

Any alternatives to tactrix which can provide the same info but at a cheaper price?

I'm a software developer too! Alternative? You can try a VagCom cable. But getting it talking to your Subaru is a huge PITA. It's possible though. Well, the internet says it's possible: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914025 .

November 18, 2016, 06:48:26 PM
Reply #4

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanx!

I use a VAG cable and ROMRaider.
Pull logs and set your parameters you want to log.
Then load them up to datazap me to see what the logs look like.
But you cannot tune without a Tactrix cable. I don't think you can even see tables without Tactrix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

November 21, 2016, 09:29:42 AM
Reply #5

sav

• View Profile
The best monitoring app by far is Torque for Android. Dashcommander for IOS is good too, but Torque beats its socks off. You would need a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to connect the app to the ECU.

The drawback of Torque is that it only monitors standard parameters. If you want to monitor Subaru-specific parameters, you'd need to know their address and create a custom gauge.

Then there's the
Even so, your garden variety OBD2 dongle can't read SSM parameters so you won't be able to see things like feedback knock, IAM, etc.
Like Tim has said, the cheapest and best way to get meaningful data is Romraider + Vagcom cable.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

November 21, 2016, 09:31:41 AM
Reply #6

sav

• View Profile
You can try a VagCom cable. But getting it talking to your Subaru is a huge PITA.
It's plug & play, just ensure you've got the correct Romraider logger defs for your ECU. None of this is any effort at all and you don't need to be a developer to get it going.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

November 21, 2016, 09:35:02 AM
Reply #7

sav

• View Profile

Just to be very clear - the above statement is wrong.

December 05, 2016, 12:26:01 PM
Reply #8

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, I found an app that can display SSM parameters, like IAM, using a Vagcom cable.
It's called BtSsm, costs  around R225.00 from the Appstore
Only got my Vagcom cable on Saturday, so have not played around much yet.
The cable was R289.00 from Zasttra
07 Forester XT Premium manual, VF43, Chett Tuned
Ex 08 Legacy 2.5GT B manual.
Ex 04 Forester XT manual.
Ex 03 Forester Xel 2.5 manual.

December 05, 2016, 12:34:03 PM
Reply #9

sav

• View Profile
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, I found an app that can display SSM parameters, like IAM, using a Vagcom cable.
It's called BtSsm, costs  around R225.00 from the Appstore
Only got my Vagcom cable on Saturday, so have not played around much yet.
The cable was R289.00 from Zasttra
Yep, it's awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAGCOM-USB-KKL-Cable-For-AUDI-Volkswagen-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-UR-/161800823868?hash=item25ac14a43c:g:XBsAAOSwgQ9V1o24
60 bucks if you don't mind waiting.