Author Topic: Legacy GT woes  (Read 714 times)

November 28, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
Read 714 times

Tallboy

So my dad ended up buying the blue Legacy GT I were looking at a while ago (and posted on the Forum).

The car has spent more time in the garage at Subaru Somerset West than his own.
The car goes into limp mode, and is heavy on fuel.

They replaced the spark plugs, and it were better for a while before everything started caving in once more.
To further rub insult into the wounds, they gave my dad a Gen2 Outback 3.0L (heavy on fuel) and it leaks oil everywhere.

I really expected a some better support from Subaru. My dad has been an avid fan of Subaru and been driving various models for the past 12 years, but is left with a sour taste after this experience.

There is another Forester as SSW my dad is willing to give a go. Surely Subaru can arrange some kind of deal after this mess?

Any dealers that can comment on what can be done, and what is a reasonable agreement to come to?

November 28, 2016, 12:26:32 PM
Reply #1

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
So my dad ended up buying the blue Legacy GT I were looking at a while ago (and posted on the Forum).

The car has spent more time in the garage at Subaru Somerset West than his own.
The car goes into limp mode, and is heavy on fuel.

They replaced the spark plugs, and it were better for a while before everything started caving in once more.
To further rub insult into the wounds, they gave my dad a Gen2 Outback 3.0L (heavy on fuel) and it leaks oil everywhere.

I really expected a some better support from Subaru. My dad has been an avid fan of Subaru and been driving various models for the past 12 years, but is left with a sour taste after this experience.

There is another Forester as SSW my dad is willing to give a go. Surely Subaru can arrange some kind of deal after this mess?

Any dealers that can comment on what can be done, and what is a reasonable agreement to come to?

Hi Tallboy,

Never nice hearing this, specially after owning the vehicle for such a short period of time.

How long has your dad had the Legacy? Define heave on fuel, remember it is a turbo charged vehicle and heavy, hopefully the dealer you bought the vehicle from is paying the repair bill at SSW?

Speak to SSW with regards to the loaner, maybe they have another vehicle they can assist you with. I know SSW didn't sell the Legacy to your dad, so rightfully they can deny your dad a loan vehicle, but knowing SSW, they won't and they do not have to many loan vehicles.

all said, keep us posted.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

December 04, 2016, 08:46:05 PM
Reply #2

Tallboy

HI JPC

So far the Johannesburg dealer is carrying the cost. The car has been at SSW for two weeks now. Coil pack replaced, and an injector with a hairline crack in it, but still no success. This will be the third week my dad would have been without his car.

I understand a loan car is a nice on SSW's part, but surely it doesn't need to be as old as the wagon they have. That is not the main focus of the headache however.

The car would only return 14L/100km on open road driving, and  there is average speed camera's all the way between most of Grabouw - Kleinmond. The car would also refuse to go into Sport or Sport# mode since the engine light came on (which is understandable).

SSW has send the car to an auto electrician in the hope they can find the issue. What a shambles! 

December 05, 2016, 08:45:56 AM
Reply #3

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
HI JPC

So far the Johannesburg dealer is carrying the cost. The car has been at SSW for two weeks now. Coil pack replaced, and an injector with a hairline crack in it, but still no success. This will be the third week my dad would have been without his car.

I understand a loan car is a nice on SSW's part, but surely it doesn't need to be as old as the wagon they have. That is not the main focus of the headache however.

The car would only return 14L/100km on open road driving, and  there is average speed camera's all the way between most of Grabouw - Kleinmond. The car would also refuse to go into Sport or Sport# mode since the engine light came on (which is understandable).

SSW has send the car to an auto electrician in the hope they can find the issue. What a shambles!

that is hectic, bad luck, wonder if Subaru JHB was aware of any issues with this Legacy?

keep us posted please.
Mine:
Jetta 6
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

December 07, 2016, 09:24:36 PM
Reply #4

Tallboy

Hi Guys

So after much deliberation the Legacy is going back to Subaru JHB. No resolve could be found. Subaru JHB has very kindly organized a new Forester for my dad to drive from Subaru Cape Town. That is a very nice service on their part.

Whether the Legacy is fixed, or my dad takes up an offer to take different car from them remains to be seen. It's a real pity though. The Legacy GT appeared on paper at least to be a great car.

Wonder what on earth could have gone so wrong with it...