Author Topic: Extreme Oil usage  (Read 3028 times)

December 29, 2016, 12:28:17 PM
Read 3028 times

FootDoc

• View Profile
Since I've had my SJ (MY13) my oil consumption has been, in my opinion, unusually high. As I'm new to the brand I figured its perhaps a forester thing, but after my last service I decide to take note of just how much I put it. It was last serviced in May this year and since then i have put in 2 pints in July, 1 pint in September, 1 in October and 2 pints a day before Christmas.

To me, this is not normal, what do the more qualified/experienced guys say??
2013 Forester 2.0X

December 29, 2016, 01:49:59 PM
Reply #1

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
So that's 3 litres in how many km's? 10k km? What km's are you on now? Has the car ever overheated?

My SG XT burnt 5 litres every 10k km before I rebuilt it. Definitely not normal but manageable.

The problem is that the only way to fix this is to rebore and fit oversize pistons and rings. Just standard size pistons and rings might help, but if extreme use is present then unlikely. Either way, that means the motor will be pulled and stripped almost entirely. 

There is a theory that when these motors overheat the rings bind up and the oil control rings pretty much stop working. My motor, besides having oval bores, had badly stuck oil rings. I'm not talking seized overheated, just HG's or radiator blowing maybe.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

December 29, 2016, 01:56:32 PM
Reply #2

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Oil consumption is not always the end of the world, but it becomes a pain to keep the oil clean and in good condition. When oil is burnt, you end up having less of it to go around, so the remaining oil works harder and is circulated more often. Obviously topping up helps, and shortening the oil change interval.

I ended up switching to Magnatech and changing the oil more regularly, and topping it up on a weekly basis, more often if driving harder. Spending big money on oil if it's all burnt away does not make sense.

For me, opening up a engine that is otherwise running well, just to fix this, is not a option. More chance of buggering something up when rebuilding. I rebuilt because I blew HG's. 

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

December 29, 2016, 09:53:04 PM
Reply #3

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Scoobies love oil.

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

January 08, 2017, 07:17:14 AM
Reply #4

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Just did a Ctn/Jhb/ECape trip of 4700km.
Used about 2.5 lt oil.
95% of this trip was open road (tar/gravel)

For me also too much consumption.
I'm running LM 20/40 semi synth, with some of that 10/40 MoS2 Leichtlauf oil added.

The engine does run quieter since using the LM semi oil. I think I'll stop using the 10/40 addition after now, and see if the oil consumption reduces.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

January 08, 2017, 10:39:34 AM
Reply #5

Chingha

• View Profile
    • Email

January 08, 2017, 03:49:33 PM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
You guys should just all drive H6's

No oil use in 7000km :D
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

July 05, 2017, 06:09:42 PM
Reply #7

FootDoc

• View Profile
Thanks for all you opinions guys!! I really wish we could notification via email about replied to threads... or did I miss something in my settings?

Anyways, we're now July 2017, she was serviced again in March earlier this year, had to top up at least 1 pint in may, possibly 2, can't recall and another 2 pints today!  If other SJ drivers tell me they have the same issue, I'll accept that, but I'm trying to sell the foz and would hate to send her off with a problem for her new boss. I can't recall any other car I've had that needed so much oil without an active leak!

Also, which is the best oil to use?  I had rage misfortune of being 50km from home when I had to fill up and was left with no choice other than what engen had available, Petronas 15W40 - hope it's decent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Forester 2.0X

July 05, 2017, 10:08:58 PM
Reply #8

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I think your car runs on Synthetic oil.
If you use LiquiMolly, expect higher consumption, don't ask me why.

I switched from Fuchs&WM Penn mineral oil to LM. Mistake....
Switched over to Shell Helix HX7 now (Semi), consumption is less than with LM.
I accept mine will use some oil (365k on the clock), but the LM was too much.
I know my valve stem seals are probably shot.

A pint/1000km is still considered normal, however for me it's also a bit high.

Regarding the notifications, there is a setting you can activate.
I just go on the site every few days, check for "Recent unread Topics" (Top RH under your name).
Works for me.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 07, 2017, 09:51:27 AM
Reply #9

FootDoc

• View Profile
Thanks berndp,

i was advised to buy my own oil to keep at home do my own checks and top-ups. Will try helix and see if there's any difference.
2013 Forester 2.0X

July 11, 2017, 03:13:18 PM
Reply #10

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
You wont go wrong with HX7. Petrol consumption may be a tad higher but you wont use oil like with LM and Castrol GTX.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

July 12, 2017, 04:40:33 PM
Reply #11

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
You wont go wrong with HX7. Petrol consumption may be a tad higher but you wont use oil like with LM and Castrol GTX.

Why higher fuel consumption?

Oil usage is slightly less than LM, but still quite high
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 13, 2017, 10:06:23 AM
Reply #12

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
The "Blue" Shell is a 10 W 40. The LM that most people use is a 5 W 30. The less the first number is, the lower the friction/ resistance is generally. But 100 people will have 100 different opinions.
If you search enough you may find a 10 W 50. If that does not stop your oil usage, fill with 25 W 60. That should fix all oil usage! Otherwise you must overhaul the engine.  :'(
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

July 13, 2017, 10:44:27 AM
Reply #13

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I've also found higher oil consumption with 5W-40 synthetics compared to 10W-40 semi in the same car. The synthetics are really thin and get past the rings easier. 
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

October 05, 2017, 02:52:16 PM
Reply #14

sav

• View Profile
I've also found higher oil consumption with 5W-40 synthetics compared to 10W-40 semi in the same car. The synthetics are really thin and get past the rings easier.
At operating temp the 5w40 synth and 10w40 semi-synth have got the same viscosity.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...