Author Topic: Broken Cam belt  (Read 945 times)

October 31, 2017, 02:45:12 PM
Read 945 times

doran1077

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All.

Ive recently encountered the dreaded cam belt failure on my 06 Forester XS. !
Been fighting with the used car dealership which i purchased the car from in February this year and mechanical warranty company , to help pay for the damages .
So yea.. no luck so far as you've guessed. ( they seem pretty good at excusing themselves on BS technicalities )
The situation is starting to look pretty grim for me.

Ive only had the car for 15 000km , had the scheduled service done , asked the service center to check the belts as well..It was never mentioned again so i assumed that everything was ok. A few weeks later the Cam belt broke.

Sigh... anyway... its looking like ill be paying 40 k for an engine rebuild. What id like to find out is if anyone would have any advice or a referral to a workshop who would be able to do this at reasonable fee , they would obviously have to be RMI approved to still cover me with the mechanical warranty (which seems pretty pointless right now!)

The lesson learned here for me is , double check, triple check, get things in writing , dont trust so easily.

October 31, 2017, 05:36:30 PM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Doran
Try and get hold of Wayne Hay from WHPerformance.
82 652 1821
He is in the JHB area
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

November 01, 2017, 03:03:16 PM
Reply #2

doran1077

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks FozzieDriver,
I most definitely will.  :)

November 02, 2017, 08:51:08 AM
Reply #3

NeilF

• View Profile
    • Email
Sorry to hear Doran, that sucks :(

What's the mileage on the car?

I don't understand why the warranty would not cover at least some of the costs? Does the car have a full service history?
2009 Forester XS

November 02, 2017, 09:15:24 AM
Reply #4

JPC

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    Scott me up Beamy.....
    • View Profile
    • Email
what mechanical warranty company is it? name and shame!!
Mine:
2014 Ford Ranger Double Cab
Honda Varadero

Hers:
2012 Fortuner 3.0D4-D 4x4...don't ask

November 02, 2017, 11:10:07 AM
Reply #5

doran1077

• View Profile
    • Email
The car has high mileage, 270 000,Purchased on 255 000,  but the dealership promised me the cam belt services where done( it belonged to a friend of his, Blah Blah) Service history is mostly there. So at the time, i assumed the 200k cam service was was done.
Car is in amazing condition for the mileage, Thats why i took it.
Took the car for the service a few weeks before the belt broke, Spoke to the service center manager about how important the cam belt is and he agreed to have a look at it during the service.
Picked up the car and he never mentioned it, so i assumed all was on order.
The mechanical warranty company contacted the service center, Who Claimed they recommended a cam belt change but because i said the dealership did it already i refused the recommendation. So on those grounds , the warranty claim can not be issued. Big balls up!!

November 02, 2017, 01:45:15 PM
Reply #6

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
A broken cam belt is not always the result of an old or worn cambelt, could be a number of other things.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

November 02, 2017, 03:34:31 PM
Reply #7

NeilF

• View Profile
    • Email
You mention that most services were done? I was under the impression that ALL services had to be done either at the dealers or RMI approved workshops in order to qualify for a mechanical warranty. I guess it's not a requirement with all warranty providers.

I agree with you LSS, but the warranty company surely will not, they have the ammunition they need to refuse this claim. Skurke :/
2009 Forester XS