Author Topic: Extreme Oil usage  (Read 2271 times)

October 07, 2017, 10:12:20 AM
Reply #15

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I've also found higher oil consumption with 5W-40 synthetics compared to 10W-40 semi in the same car. The synthetics are really thin and get past the rings easier.
At operating temp the 5w40 synth and 10w40 semi-synth have got the same viscosity.

Agreed, that's how it works after all, I think it has more to do with the other properties of the oil.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

November 03, 2017, 12:06:54 AM
Reply #16

Durbanboy

• View Profile
    • Email
The "Blue" Shell is a 10 W 40. The LM that most people use is a 5 W 30. The less the first number is, the lower the friction/ resistance is generally. But 100 people will have 100 different opinions.
If you search enough you may find a 10 W 50. If that does not stop your oil usage, fill with 25 W 60. That should fix all oil usage! Otherwise you must overhaul the engine.  :'(

10w40 is a temperature range. I live in Durban and use 20w50. Thinner oil for colder climates.
2003 Xec AT
Decat, 57mm SS Cowley freeflow
220l p/h fuel pump
HUCO plug leads
KYB shocks

November 03, 2017, 06:41:32 AM
Reply #17

sav

• View Profile
The less the first number is, the lower the friction/ resistance is generally. But 100 people will have 100 different opinions
99 out of 100 of those people will be right, the 100th being you.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:56:13 AM by sav »
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

November 03, 2017, 07:06:32 AM
Reply #18

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
We should perhaps take a step backwards here.
We still do not know how much oil is being consumed by the OP. He could be using 1 litre of oil in 15000km which is WAY inside the window.
And oil is consumed in a variety of circumstances.
If it is being consumed at a rate outside of the manufactures "acceptable" use policy, then one take it further and insist that they fix it. Within those parameters one will have to do a couple of tests to determine where the oil is in fact going.
It can, as has been said before, go past the rings. On the turbo engines there can be excessive blow by that forces oil and vapour into the breathers and into the turbo inlet pipe. If this happens there is going to be further kak down the line as you WILL det your motor and break it.
It could be going past the seals in the turbo
Any turbo engine will consume oil, even the best oil on the market.
How much oil is the debatable part.
Personally the use of 1 litre every 10k even is nothing to worry about.
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

November 03, 2017, 09:23:23 AM
Reply #19

NeilF

• View Profile
    • Email
This thread instilled some paranoia in me so I checked my oil (don't really do it often), and I was reminded of how confusing it can be to determine the oil level in these boxer motors. One should definitely let it stand a while after running before checking, I'd say about 20 min?

When I checked it 5 min after stopping it looked as if the level was just below halfway between the two marks. 30 min later it was just below the F mark.

Bit of a silly comment, but might prevent someone from overfilling. I won't recommend checking oil when refuelling at filling stations.
2009 Forester XS

November 03, 2017, 01:16:06 PM
Reply #20

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
"99 out of 100 of those people will be right, the 100th being you."

Sav, I said that the lower the first number, The easier it flows. And I, as well as your Google search, say basically the same thing.

You can thus hold your sarcasm for yourself. It is unwarranted in an open forum. If you want to correct something do it in an acceptable manner, otherwise you will alienate even more members.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

November 03, 2017, 01:34:22 PM
Reply #21

sav

• View Profile
"99 out of 100 of those people will be right, the 100th being you."

Sav, I said that the lower the first number, The easier it flows. And I, as well as your Google search, say basically the same thing.

You can thus hold your sarcasm for yourself. It is unwarranted in an open forum. If you want to correct something do it in an acceptable manner, otherwise you will alienate even more members.
Friction and flow are not the same things. There are so many "experts" stating things as fact when they clearly don't have a clue.

I'd rather alienate those and have the people who know what they're talking about hanging around, thank you.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

November 03, 2017, 02:06:19 PM
Reply #22

• Personal Text
    Brrrrrrr Tsssss
    • View Profile
One should definitely let it stand a while after running before checking, I'd say about 20 min?

+1

My XT doesn't use oil between services (yet) wonder what I'm doing wrong?!   :o

November 03, 2017, 02:35:59 PM
Reply #23

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
One should definitely let it stand a while after running before checking, I'd say about 20 min?

+1

My XT doesn't use oil between services (yet) wonder what I'm doing wrong?!   :o
Have you modified it?
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

November 03, 2017, 03:19:55 PM
Reply #24

• Personal Text
    Brrrrrrr Tsssss
    • View Profile
Have you modified it?

pretty much stock except for a decat and a chett tune. 108k km

November 03, 2017, 03:28:08 PM
Reply #25

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
"I'd rather alienate those and have the people who know what they're talking about hanging around, thank you."

If that is the attitude of this forum's senior members    ...  Goodbye. You have one less member as of today.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

November 03, 2017, 03:44:07 PM
Reply #26

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
"I'd rather alienate those and have the people who know what they're talking about hanging around, thank you."

If that is the attitude of this forum's senior members    ...  Goodbye. You have one less member as of today.

jbh, please don't go man. Sav just needs a weekend maybe?

Sav, gaan drink 'n bier en relax bietjie man!
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

November 03, 2017, 03:50:32 PM
Reply #27

sav

• View Profile

jbh, please don't go man. Sav just needs a weekend maybe?

Sav, gaan drink 'n bier en relax bietjie man!
LOL! I'm 100% relaxed, thank you.

Oversensitive oke though,

Not so much I guess.

November 03, 2017, 04:25:55 PM
Reply #28

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you modified it?

Keep it that way.
Service every 10k and keep an eye on the radiator and you good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT

November 03, 2017, 04:30:12 PM
Reply #29

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you modified it?

Keep it that way.
Service every 10k and keep an eye on the radiator and you good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forester XT 2008 MT