Author Topic: Transmission flush  (Read 2842 times)

February 07, 2017, 03:33:12 PM
Reply #15

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Got out 5 liters. Even with disconnecting the oil cooler lines, jacking up drivers side and idling the car.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 07, 2017, 03:36:32 PM
Reply #16

sav

• View Profile
Got out 5 liters. Even with disconnecting the oil cooler lines, jacking up drivers side and idling the car.
You should have jacked the driver's side rear a bit higher than the front...
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

February 07, 2017, 03:53:32 PM
Reply #17

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
You should have jacked the driver's side rear a bit higher than the front...

Will try that, doing a second fill this weekend.

Should leave me with 7.2ish fresh liters.

Also running Castrol Transmax Dex III, no adverse effects yet.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 07, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Reply #18

sav

• View Profile
Was kidding.

I doubt you'd see any "adverse effects" within a couple of kilometers.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

February 08, 2017, 07:51:53 AM
Reply #19

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Obviously in terms of wear no, but no funky noises and vibrations. Shifts smoothly, runs well.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 08, 2017, 09:14:33 AM
Reply #20

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Was told by WHP to not put anything in the Sportshift except Subaru oem fluid. Apparently it is a special fluid for the Sportshift.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

February 08, 2017, 09:55:57 AM
Reply #21

sav

• View Profile
Was told by WHP to not put anything in the Sportshift except Subaru oem fluid. Apparently it is a special fluid for the Sportshift.
Yep, I still can't wrap my head around saving a couple of bucks at the possible expense of a R120k gearbox but that's just me.

February 08, 2017, 10:22:04 AM
Reply #22

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Sav, if it blows up you can say I told you so.  ;D

We have different approaches to running our cars, as can be seen in the money spent on them. The problem is that it is not just ATF. It's the whole package. Oil, pads, filters etc... If you pay top dollar for all of that and don't look for alternatives that still make spec, you might as well drive a Porsche and not a R70k Subaru.

And in no way will repair or replacement cost R120k. Flip, for that you can buy a whole car and have R40k left before you part it out.

A chap on Facebook says his gearbox failed because of using the Castrol Dex III. He has not answered me when I asked him what failed? Anything can fail on a old car, and how he attributed it to the ATF is beyond me. Example: If a bearing in the box goes it is def. not due to the spec of ATF, they can all keep 6000 rpm bearings going.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I'm disappointed that so few can appreciate a different viewpoint or think about investigating alternatives. If Subaru and WHP says something then it is law.  ::)
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 08, 2017, 10:36:18 AM
Reply #23

PaulR

• View Profile
I second your opinion LSS, there are ALWAYS other alternatives...I mean we are South Africans after all, en ons maak altyd n plan!!!
Ex 2007 SG9 XS AT

February 08, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Reply #24

sav

• View Profile
If Subaru and WHP says something then it is law.  ::)
Well they're the ones with the experience, so yes I do believe they know better than you and me.

Simply "meeting spec" is not good enough in my opinion. These are old cars so when it comes to fluids I'd rather get the best within reason, or at a minimum OEM for peace of mind.

February 08, 2017, 01:22:17 PM
Reply #25

Theo

• View Profile
    • Email
Most car manufacturers outsource the design and manufacture of components like diffs and gearboxes. From what I could find the 4EAT was manufactured by Jatco. It will be interesting to know whether Subaru makes the ATF themselves or if it is made by one of the big oil companies and packed for Subaru in their tins. Same with oil filters, air filters etc.

The perception always exists (right or wrong) with a lot of people that car dealers are out to get us, by selling us over the counter parts and charging extra to add their logo on the box. Yes, they have overheads, but no one likes to be ripped off. So we have to decide if we want to pay extra for peace of mind,  or buy a reputable brand from a spares shop. 

It also brings to mind the whole engine oil debate. Mobil1 was the only oil suitable, until Subaru switched to Liqui-Moly. If you read up on Mobil1, they claimed they had the only oil that was truly full synthetic, ie. manufactured from chemicals in a lab, while all other brands are made by modifying a base oil. Mobil lost the court case, now all the brands sell "fully synthetic oil".   
07 Forester XT Premium manual, VF43, Chett Tuned
Ex 08 Legacy 2.5GT B manual.
Ex 04 Forester XT manual.
Ex 03 Forester Xel 2.5 manual.

February 08, 2017, 01:43:35 PM
Reply #26

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Jaaa. Sometimes you may be surprised at what is in the box or container. You can buy a "Top Brand" oil-filter for a Forester at any store in the deep platteland. Exactly the same oil cleaner is specified for a 1 300 Mazda 323.  8).
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

February 09, 2017, 01:09:42 PM
Reply #27

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
It will be interesting to know whether Subaru makes the ATF themselves or if it is made by one of the big oil companies and packed for Subaru in their tins.
Idemitsu make the Scooby ATF, IIRC.
2005 XSel slushbox

February 10, 2017, 09:43:33 AM
Reply #28

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
Subaru seems to use really shitty Engine and Drivetrain components that always require fluids that are derived from Unicorn blood...
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T

February 10, 2017, 09:47:51 AM
Reply #29

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Subaru seems to use really shitty Engine and Drivetrain components that always require fluids that are derived from Unicorn blood...

And then blow up anyway. Headgaskets made of cheese, rings and sleeves of something softer.

Love my Foz anyway, haha
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng