Author Topic: Transmission flush  (Read 3351 times)

February 16, 2017, 09:40:08 PM
Reply #30

4wdrift

• View Profile
Here is what I have read up about online when I wanted to get a auto V8 F100 a few months ago.

You disconnect the transmission cooler pipe when the car and everything is cold still and after doing a normal drain from the drain plug. You start the car and let the oil drain out, then shift into each gear until no more oil is being pumped out, this should drain 80-90% of the oil. Refill and drive it around for a day or two and repeat to do a complete flush of the automatic transmission.

I would do this to my own personal vehicle but not to someone elses vehicle as I do not have a good enough understanding of automatic gearboxes and every vehicle has a different autobox. So take this advice with a pinch of salt and dont blame me if it causes issues.

If the gearbox oil is brown and smells burnt, the friction material came off the belts and is suspended in the oil. So flushing it then removes the friction material and the box will slip. If the oil smells burnt and is brown instead of red I would leave it alone and wait until I can have the box reconditioned with new belts.

February 17, 2017, 08:46:04 AM
Reply #31

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Belts? Does my gearbox have belts?
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 17, 2017, 11:01:58 AM
Reply #32

proze

• View Profile
    • Email
An auto box has friction bands. Maybe he meant that?
2005 XSel slushbox

February 19, 2017, 08:49:35 PM
Reply #33

sav

• View Profile
Clutch packs.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

February 23, 2017, 03:16:35 AM
Reply #34

4wdrift

• View Profile
Yes friction bands, sorry I got confused while typing and talking to someone else.

The clutch packs are in LSD's and double clutch gearboxes IIRC, most conventional automatic gearboxes use a torque converter and friction bands.

The sportshift gearbox in the forresters I have no clue about, I havent researched it yet.

February 23, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
Reply #35

sav

• View Profile
Yes friction bands, sorry I got confused while typing and talking to someone else.

The clutch packs are in LSD's and double clutch gearboxes IIRC, most conventional automatic gearboxes use a torque converter and friction bands.

The sportshift gearbox in the forresters I have no clue about, I havent researched it yet.
Yep, I'm assuming Scoobyworx was referring to the clutch packs they've replaced in the diff inside the gearbox, sorry.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...