Author Topic: Top-up compatible with Liqui Moly 5W-40?  (Read 1873 times)

February 25, 2017, 11:33:39 PM
Read 1873 times

AshleyR

• View Profile
I recently started getting low oil warnings on my 2014 Forester 2.5XS, but since I was driving it infrequently, I didn't prioritize trekking to Centurion to get a top-up bottle from Subaru.

However, this weekend, I've had to use the car a lot, and the oil light has been on most of today. I'll need to do another 4-odd hours of driving tomorrow, and am now trying to hunt down a litre of Liqui Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf High Tech somewhere (Long shot, I know).

Where could I buy some in Pretoria [East] on a Sunday? Alternatively, what other oil could I use to top up before the next service is due in April?

Thanks in advance. :)

February 26, 2017, 08:43:43 AM
Reply #1

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Any 5W or 10W -40  is compatible. It must just be synthetic or semi-synthetic. I am not fond of Castrol.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:08:43 PM by jbh »
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

February 26, 2017, 06:17:11 PM
Reply #2

AshleyR

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice! I wound up getting some Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic from AutoZone in Silver Lakes, so hopefully that holds me over until April.

February 26, 2017, 11:32:33 PM
Reply #3

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Thats fine...

Please dont drive your car with the oil light on. It will be catastrophic.

Figure out why your car is burning oil. I would change to a different brand asap. (I also used oil on LM)
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 27, 2017, 08:58:27 AM
Reply #4

AshleyR

• View Profile
Please dont drive your car with the oil light on. It will be catastrophic.

Until this weekend, the light had come on a few times in the middle of or towards the end of a few short in-town trips, so I reckoned it was still borderline. But agreed.

Figure out why your car is burning oil. I would change to a different brand asap. (I also used oil on LM)

Subaru told me it's normal, and my Forester has done so from new. At the time I read up a bit more, and consensus seemed to be that "some cars just burn oil". Are you saying that's wrong, and I need to switch to a different LM type, oil brand, or higher viscosity?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:00:33 AM by AshleyR »

February 27, 2017, 09:45:36 AM
Reply #5

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Is that a low oil level light or a oil pressure light?

I know the SG only has the latter.

If you are driving a car with the latter, start preparing your overdraft.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 27, 2017, 10:05:12 AM
Reply #6

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Its oil pressure..

Oil pressure cost me 100k on the STI.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

February 27, 2017, 10:26:06 AM
Reply #7

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Kiss those big ends goodbye
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 27, 2017, 11:43:32 AM
Reply #8

AshleyR

• View Profile
My Forester has both. It was the low oil light.

What is an SG? What are big ends?

Edit: Okay, so as far as I can tell, an SG is a second-gen Forester, while I have a fourth-gen SJ. Further Googling indicates that big ends are the bearings that tie the rod to the crankshaft, and that low oil pressure means that they don't get lubricated properly, heat up, wear, and eventually fail.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:29:31 PM by AshleyR »

February 27, 2017, 12:31:06 PM
Reply #9

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
My Forester has both. It was the low oil light.

What is an SG? What are big ends?

SG is the model shape between 2002-2008, SH from 2009 to 2012, and yours is a SJ if I'm not mistaken.

Big ends are big end bearings on a connecting rod. The one furthest from the oil pump is the first one that fails when you are running low oil pressure. It starts with a knocking sound and some vibration and then eventually it ends in tears, most often within 50 km.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

February 28, 2017, 09:39:20 AM
Reply #10

AshleyR

• View Profile

Subaru told me it's normal, and my Forester has done so from new. At the time I read up a bit more, and consensus seemed to be that "some cars just burn oil". Are you saying that's wrong, and I need to switch to a different LM type, oil brand, or higher viscosity?

Could you shed some more light on this please?

March 02, 2017, 11:47:24 PM
Reply #11

Durbanboy

Crap to all of the above. Synthetic is mixable with any oil. Do your research. Hello GOOGLE

https://www.liqui-moly.eu/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_en_domb8bakrw.html

Why do people waste their time asking questions that are so "doff"?
Yeah, so assholes like me can direct their lazy arseholes.
FFS!
Delete if you want Steve.

August 21, 2017, 01:06:38 PM
Reply #12

sav

• View Profile
Proof that exhaust fumes are bad for you, mmkay.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

August 21, 2017, 02:25:05 PM
Reply #13

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email

Crap to all of the above. Synthetic is mixable with any oil. Do your research. Hello GOOGLE

https://www.liqui-moly.eu/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_en_domb8bakrw.html

Why do people waste their time asking questions that are so "doff"?
Yeah, so assholes like me can direct their lazy arseholes.
FFS!
Delete if you want Steve.
I guess you called it mate! ;D
Forester XT 2008 MT
TD04, STi IC, 76mm DP, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Intent Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.5

August 21, 2017, 02:29:24 PM
Reply #14

sav

• View Profile
Yep and why is he even on this forum if he could simply google everything? Ironic that his first post on this forum was apologizing for the "dumb questions" he was about to ask.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...