Author Topic: tyre advise for Namibia newbie  (Read 1055 times)

March 14, 2017, 12:26:12 AM
Read 1055 times

Fozzie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Everyone!

Planning a trip around Namibia in April, the gravel roads i plan on driving are:
C10, D324, C37, C13, D707, C27, C19, C34 and possibly the C14
our route is pretty much as follows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Y...ew?usp=sharing

So I need some advise around tyres, i currently drive a Subaru Forester XS which come with Yokohama Geolander G91 in 225/60 R17 (tyres only have about 3000kms on them)
I have managed to get a set of 16" rims which i can put 215/70 R16 AT tyres (most probably goodyear wrangler AT/SA+ or geolander g015)
I have a TPMS, compressor and tyre repair kit
i plan on airing down to 1.8 and taking it slow on the gravel (max 80kmh)

my question is do i need the AT tyres, will they be more puncture resistant as i cant take a second spare or will the stock tyres be fine?
will the 215/70R16 be easier to get in Namibia than the 225/60R17 if i needed to replace a tyre?
another question i had is around fuel availability in April holidays, will that be an issue?

Thanks in advance!
2017 Subaru Forester XS
(ex)2016 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT
(ex)2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS CVT
(ex)2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
(ex)2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 x
(ex)2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT
(ex)2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Yes, I like Subaru's :)

March 14, 2017, 08:10:44 AM
Reply #1

Dene

• Personal Text
    Just do it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I would say yes to AT rubber, definately more puncture resistant and offer way better grip on the gravel. Had Wranglers on my Foz for 4 years and not one puncture, including plenty gravel travel, local and Namibia.

March 14, 2017, 05:24:46 PM
Reply #2

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Ditto on the AT tyres.
Fuel should not be worse at any particular time, but plan your refuelling. Places are far apart there, and dorpies close for lunch/night.

1.8Bar on gravel is good. You can probably do 100km/h easilly.
Watch out for those damm Overlanders though.

I would think 16" is probably easier to get than 17", but i may be wrong there.

Protect your paintwork by means of mudflaps/vynil in the right places....
Take spare oil.
Take water, for people and car. Not something to skimp on, especially for the people.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

March 14, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
Reply #3

Speedy

• View Profile
    • Email
Great advice above. I made a point of filling up at every opportunity, nothing worse than a few wrong turns and starting to worry about if you will make it or not.
Fuel availability is good but as mentioned distance is an issue.
I saw plenty of "city" vehicles (even a couple from PE in an i20) cruising around roads were better than I expected to be honest.
I'm going again in June, can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

March 15, 2017, 09:10:09 AM
Reply #4

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
go for the g015's , love mine, at traction offroad an no more road noise than the stock tires, they come in 16 and 17 sizes, I called ahead to a few tire places in the areas we were going and they all either had stock of at least 2 tires or could get stock within 1 day in the strange size im running. i would seriously suggest a roof rack with fuel and water if you are going to remote places, also invest in some lifestraws, at least if something goes very wrong you will be able to drink.

March 15, 2017, 10:01:23 PM
Reply #5

Fozzie

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for all the replies! the advice is much appreciated!
i wanted the G015's but they almost R500 more per tyre and i need 5.
maybe i should just abuse the credit card a bit  :P
2017 Subaru Forester XS
(ex)2016 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT
(ex)2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS CVT
(ex)2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
(ex)2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 x
(ex)2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT
(ex)2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Yes, I like Subaru's :)

March 16, 2017, 09:24:38 AM
Reply #6

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
make sure you phone around for pricing, even different branches of the same franchise give different prices, I managed to get them cheapest from Hi-Q and they threw in free fitting and tire insurance, also the G015's come with a high mileage guarantee

March 16, 2017, 05:03:21 PM
Reply #7

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I would probably keep the tires you have now, get another rim as a spare. Our size tires are hard to find... and if you are going to get a sidewall puncture, there are very few tires out there that will prevent that.

Bridgestone AT's are the only 3 ply sidewall that I know of... FYI
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

March 16, 2017, 07:53:05 PM
Reply #8

PaulR

• View Profile
I would probably keep the tires you have now, get another rim as a spare. Our size tires are hard to find... and if you are going to get a sidewall puncture, there are very few tires out there that will prevent that.

Sorry Steve...BF Goodrich are the only AT tyres with a 3 ply sidewall...and even then, a stone doesnt ask what make of tyre its about to slice to shreds. Go with the tyres you have now...you will be ok.
Ex 2007 SG9 XS AT

March 16, 2017, 08:45:05 PM
Reply #9

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email

Sorry Steve...BF Goodrich are the only AT tyres with a 3 ply sidewall...and even then, a stone doesnt ask what make of tyre its about to slice to shreds. Go with the tyres you have now...you will be ok.

Ya I meant BFG ATS lol.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R