Author Topic: Outback tires...  (Read 538 times)

March 16, 2017, 01:09:08 PM
Read 538 times

WMC

• View Profile
Hey all!

Apologies for starting ANOTHER tire thread, but I have read the others and didnt find the answer I'nlooking for or they are out of date.

I have the G900's on my outback and have a sidewall cut on one tire and a puncture between the tread and sidewall on another.

I ride 90% Tar 10% Gravel - but take a gravel road as soon as i see it. Almost all high speed gravel - and it seems as though i need a stronger tire. ( I was pushing it on the tankwa gravel road tho up to 140km/h

I replaced all 4 about 1 1/2 years ago but and now thinking about replacing the two damaged rear tires with something else. I've been reading and readin and reading and looking at options.

I have a spare G900 that looks brand new - I would have to measure the tread left - so I COULD buy 1 x new G900 and use that and the spare - keeping the damaged as a spare.

Questions:
1) Is it safe to change two rears to a different brand / tread pattern?
2) A good tire - Value + strong Sidewall ?
3) Is it worth fitting AT tires instead of HT tires? EG Michelin Latitude Sport vs Tour HP?
4) If i get a puncture on a trip and use a different tread pattern spare, will it damage the car?

Tires I have been suggested:
Goodyear Efficient Grip
Goodgear HP
Pirelli P7 Cinturato
Dunlop PT3
Geolander G012 / G015 (or are these discontinued?)
Bridgestone Deuler

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Devin

March 16, 2017, 01:43:59 PM
Reply #1

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
with your usage AT tires arent worth it, also no point in only fitting 2x at tires.
you can run different tires front/rear as long as the outer diameter is the same as the front, although the tire size may be the same, different tread patterns will be bigger and smaller.

geolander g015 are new on the market and are really good,no more road noise than the g900 with at strength and grip but not worth the price if you only doing 10% good gravel.

i would recomend the pirelli scorpion atr if you can get at a really good price  or a better option is to go for the cheaper achillies desert hawk ht, really good midrange tire with strong sidewalls
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:45:55 PM by Fozxt-zn »

March 16, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
Reply #2

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I just bought 2 x G015, to combine with 2 x G012, which i had as spares, with prob 99% thread left (different story).
My set of G012's lasted + 80k km, mostly tar, maybe 15-20% gravel. (Yes, my bad for not doing more gravel  :-[ :-[ :-[)

Not sure if one can expect more km's from tyres.

Punctures: tar: 3, gravel: 0, but i did not do that Tankwa road, but did Ouberg pass, Baviaans, and many other gravel passes.

I believe the G012's are being replaced by the G015's, and the look very similar.

I stayed with the Yoko's, as they were good to me.

Being AT, they become quite noisy towards the end, but the stock radio was able to keep up with the noise.  ;D ;D
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

March 16, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
Reply #3

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
g015 is a new compound and supposedly much more resistant to punctures, i have done some hectic testing with mine and all good

March 16, 2017, 05:01:44 PM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
The price of the G015'S is pretty steep.

I wouldn't specifically fit an All terrain tire to a vehicle that drives majority highway. If you live on a farm and drive gravel EVERY day, then Ill say sure.

I've just fitted new tires to my OB and as much as I love gravel, they are very much road orientated. 
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

March 16, 2017, 05:11:23 PM
Reply #5

WMC

• View Profile
Thanks all for replies.

Stev0 - what tires did you fit?

My hesitance in getting the G900s is the weak side walls.

I like the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs but it doesn't look like they do them in 215/60R16

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/pirelli/scorpion-s-atr/9893

March 16, 2017, 05:16:39 PM
Reply #6

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
WMC, Where are you in this dark country of ours?
Brackenfell, W'Cape

March 16, 2017, 05:24:07 PM
Reply #7

WMC

• View Profile
Yes sir!

in Cape Town

Devin

March 16, 2017, 08:43:11 PM
Reply #8

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks all for replies.

Stev0 - what tires did you fit?

My hesitance in getting the G900s is the weak side walls.

I like the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs but it doesn't look like they do them in 215/60R16

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/pirelli/scorpion-s-atr/9893

Planned on Potenza Adrenalin but ended up with Atlas green sport after reading a few reviews - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Atlas/Sport-Green.htm

I only paid about 900 per tire for the 215 55 17s

March 16, 2017, 10:45:25 PM
Reply #9

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Try these guys:
Wahib" <iebrahim@netactive.co.za>
Tyre Distributors (PTY)LTD (Airport industria)
021 934 8154

"
Yokohama G015 @ R1500-00 (Stock at our suppliers ex Jo'burg)

These prices are per tyre including V.A.T. fitting & wheel balancing.
Please allow 5 working days to courier stock from other regions to Cape Town.

"

Wahib
Tyre Distributors (PTY)LTD

I have no connection to them, except they seem to like Fozzies (or at least Subaru's)
Brackenfell, W'Cape

March 16, 2017, 10:48:04 PM
Reply #10

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
He has been affiliated with socsa for a long time.

Thats a very good price!

March 24, 2017, 02:35:30 PM
Reply #11

WMC

• View Profile
Try these guys:
Wahib" <iebrahim@netactive.co.za>
Tyre Distributors (PTY)LTD (Airport industria)
021 934 8154

"
Yokohama G015 @ R1500-00 (Stock at our suppliers ex Jo'burg)

These prices are per tyre including V.A.T. fitting & wheel balancing.
Please allow 5 working days to courier stock from other regions to Cape Town.

"

Wahib
Tyre Distributors (PTY)LTD

I have no connection to them, except they seem to like Fozzies (or at least Subaru's)

Thanks for this Berndp - I got in touch with them and the price stands. It's is a really good price! Only problem is I was planning on replacing 2 tires and if i go with the G015s I'll have to go with 5! The price is tempting as I think I'll be very happy with the stronger tire - was in the karoo again last weekend towing a big trailer with 4 motorbikes on it on gravel roads with some rocky sections and was worried about the G900's but luckily they handled ok running 2.0 up front and 2.6 rear.

The Outback really surprised me - I underestimated how heavy the trailer was once loaded - close to 1200kg - and although slow ( over 110km/h the trailer started swaying) she was a trooper. The low range really helped. Who else uses the Low range often, i tend to use it in traffic jams and some twisty gravel roads. 3rd gear low range is my favourite!

Thats it - deviation from tires over.

Cheers
Devin