Author Topic: Cracks on tread  (Read 568 times)

May 18, 2017, 10:41:31 AM
Read 568 times

ChrisJ

• View Profile
    • Email
A couple of questions for my expert friends. I am sure someone else had a similar experience. At 90 000km the Geolandar G95s on my 2012 Forester XS are showing small cracks on the outer parts of the tread - no cracks on the sidewalls. There still is a remarkable amount of tread left. Should I become concerned and replace the tyres or are they safe enough for some more service? Can the cracks be as a result of exposure to the sun, or are the tyres just reaching the end of their lifetime?

May 18, 2017, 12:50:32 PM
Reply #1

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Pics.

My Other cars tires are cracked but still holding. Been cracked for last 15k km and still got another 10k in them.
At the robots take a look at tires around you. Many have cracks. Most trailers have cracks and outdated tires.

The risk comes in when you are involved in a crash, insurance may look at tires and not pay you out until you prove tires were actually safe.
Cape Town

May 18, 2017, 02:06:30 PM
Reply #2

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
as thebus says, tires are old and beginning to perish the cracks are because the oil has evaporated out of the rubber and dried out over time.  your call as to drive on them or not, as there is no pic to see how bad or not they are, I personally wouldnt bet my life on trying to get a few extra km out of a set of tires that have already given excellent millage.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:32:56 PM by Fozxt-zn »

May 18, 2017, 04:05:15 PM
Reply #3

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
A couple of questions for my expert friends. I am sure someone else had a similar experience. At 90 000km the Geolandar G95s on my 2012 Forester XS are showing small cracks on the outer parts of the tread - no cracks on the sidewalls. There still is a remarkable amount of tread left. Should I become concerned and replace the tyres or are they safe enough for some more service? Can the cracks be as a result of exposure to the sun, or are the tyres just reaching the end of their lifetime?

These must be the original tyres, @ 90k.
At 5 years, the tyres are getting old. You can confirm this with the tyre suppliers. (Not the one next to the road, with 50% discount on all tyres)

Get new tyres, and make a quad (4) swing for the kids ;D ;D
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

May 24, 2017, 08:54:43 AM
Reply #4

Bravofox

• Just another Member

• View Profile
    • Email
....and make a quad (4) swing for the kids ;D ;D

Interesting that you mention this, as Oupa (my dad) has been tasked to make a swing for his grand daughter at their house.
The problem is, modern tyres are mostly steelbelt (radial) and if you cut them to make a tyre swing, the wires sticking out is not that pleasant. Nylonbelt (crossply) tyres are not a problem.
(How far off topic do you want? :D )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:58:51 AM by Bravofox »
2015 Outback 3.6R-S
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Wagon.
-ex -2009 SH XT A/T
-ex- 2009 SG9 XT Premium Manual
-ex- 2006 Impreza 2.0R Manual
-ex- 2002 Legacy 2.5GX A/T