Author Topic: Sump Guard - Thumbs up  (Read 1424 times)

March 29, 2017, 08:12:35 AM
Read 1424 times

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
I has some worries about the vulnerability regarding the lower engine and also have always wanted a sump guard on my vehicle in case of the zombie apocalypse.
I did some inquiries on here and 2 vendors both responded professionally. I decided to go with LoopSoostroop for no reason other than he was first to respond.

Payment made, Parcel shipped and received with zero hassles. I even installed the sump guard on my own in about 10 minutes and have removed it in 5 minutes to give it a clean.
The product is professional looking and has already paid itself off after hitting a small rock while driving in the Karoo. It was definitely a sump muncher.

So I recommend LoopSoosStroop and his products and glad he is a member on this forum.

Cape Town

March 29, 2017, 10:05:12 AM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Very good.
I bought my SG with a +/- home made Alu sump guard. The sump was already dented, and I think it happened even with the sump guard, as it look like the car came down onto something, rather than striking something from the front. Luckily the sump is not leaking.

Anyway, I have also added my fair share of dents and scrapes to the guard. It defenitely helps.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

August 24, 2017, 12:07:11 PM
Reply #2

boxerulez

• View Profile
    • Email
I has some worries about the vulnerability regarding the lower engine and also have always wanted a sump guard on my vehicle in case of the zombie apocalypse.
I did some inquiries on here and 2 vendors both responded professionally. I decided to go with LoopSoostroop for no reason other than he was first to respond.

Payment made, Parcel shipped and received with zero hassles. I even installed the sump guard on my own in about 10 minutes and have removed it in 5 minutes to give it a clean.
The product is professional looking and has already paid itself off after hitting a small rock while driving in the Karoo. It was definitely a sump muncher.

So I recommend LoopSoosStroop and his products and glad he is a member on this forum.

I have seen these advertised on Gumtree (As in the photo you added)   Are they SSTEEL or ALU?   I never really trust aluminium, it is so soft.  Do you have contact details handy (email) for this seller?

Apologies in advance for the NECRO rather than starting a new thread, I hate clutter.

August 24, 2017, 01:50:59 PM
Reply #3

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Hi boxerulez

I make them, and they are from 4.5 mm aluminium. I think they are strong enough, lots of guys here and elsewhere have hit rocks with them with damage to sumps yet.

2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

August 26, 2017, 10:01:07 AM
Reply #4

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
I use one of his and it is an engine saver!!!!
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

September 27, 2017, 09:34:39 AM
Reply #5

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Was "dreaming" about my occasional overheat problem recently again.

So i figured: It only happens when crawling (i.e up a mountain...) Somewhere here i posted that I came to the conclusion that the hot air from the radiator gets sucked back into the radiator again, because there is not enough air coming thru the semi blocked AC condenser.

Now then, maybe the condenser is not the only problem. The hot air blown by the radiator fans hits the engine, then needs to go in all directions. Sideways there is a bit of space, then it needs to go down. Down is blocked by the Sump Guard. Up, there is a bit of space, over the engine. All-in-all, a bit of a k@k design. Especially taking into consideration the angle the engine is slanted at, favouring the air to go up, but the fan's centre is below the centre of the engine, so actually most of the air needs to go down. ??? ???

So, my thoughts were to make a smaller sump guard, that really only protects the sump. The exhaust headers are fairly protectecd by the sump and subframe (SG, Pre-facelift, non-turbo). The oil filter is out of harms way.

I would then make it that the hot air from the radiator has a path to escape downwards.... There would be a gap between the radiator and the start of the sump guard.
The sump guard would just protect the sump, nothing else. (I could maybe add some "rock sliders" for the exhaust headers.)

Any thoughts?

Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 27, 2017, 12:12:01 PM
Reply #6

Fozxt-zn

• View Profile
there has been a lot of discussion that the sump guard on the turbo models helps to create a better flow/suction of air through the hood scoop and out the back of the engine to help cooling on the top mount, but on an N/A i dont think it would make any difference

September 27, 2017, 02:03:48 PM
Reply #7

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Interesting thoughts berndp, which sump guard do you have?

In my humble opinion the alu guards probably purge hot air better than the plastic OEM ones, as they are generally open on the sides, without the vertical flaps.

But someone with a engine monitoring system will be better able to tell. 
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 27, 2017, 03:22:47 PM
Reply #8

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
I understand where loop is coming from
The sump guard he suplies blocks allot less air than the orginal plastic sump guard

So if you engine was over heating at low speed because of blocked air flow with one of his units
Then it would have constantly overheated with the stock plastic one

My Forester does not appear to have any overheat issues with slow speed driving with one of his
So if you do then it may be a radiator issue as well
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

September 27, 2017, 03:29:38 PM
Reply #9

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
there has been a lot of discussion that the sump guard on the turbo models helps to create a better flow/suction of air through the hood scoop and out the back of the engine to help cooling on the top mount, but on an N/A i dont think it would make any difference

I agree, when travelling at higher speeds, it probably does help, because then air is forced thru the condenser & radiator.
At low speeds, the fans have to do all the work.

Interesting thoughts berndp, which sump guard do you have?

In my humble opinion the alu guards probably purge hot air better than the plastic OEM ones, as they are generally open on the sides, without the vertical flaps.

But someone with a engine monitoring system will be better able to tell. 

My sump guard is not one of yours, LSS. It's a DIY, I think. It came with the car.

What I see on Torque, when tavelling at higher speeds, the engine temp is generally mid-upper 80'C. When crawling, it cycles up to 96.., the fan come one (I assume - can't check), and all is fine. However, when working hard & crawling (sand / up a mountain pass / ...) 2 about 20 - 30km/hr, it goes up to 100, then the Torque alarm screams, and i slow down/stop.

Intake temps are generally about 20'C above ambient, when the engine is warm. (i still don't know where all this heat comes from)
My inlet is ducted to just behind the RH headlight, resonator box(es) have been removed, but that did not help anything.
(Except that I now have a possible space for a not too big 2nd battery. :D)
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 27, 2017, 03:35:05 PM
Reply #10

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
I understand where loop is coming from
The sump guard he suplies blocks allot less air than the orginal plastic sump guard

So if you engine was over heating at low speed because of blocked air flow with one of his units
Then it would have constantly overheated with the stock plastic one

My Forester does not appear to have any overheat issues with slow speed driving with one of his
So if you do then it may be a radiator issue as well

Agreed.
As mentioned below, the real problem is actually when working hard, at low speed.
I do know my condenser is partially blocked.
The radiator is fine.
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 28, 2017, 08:02:16 AM
Reply #11

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
Have you tried the same without the sump guard on? Will be interesting to see if the temps differ?
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

September 28, 2017, 08:28:29 AM
Reply #12

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Have you tried the same without the sump guard on? Will be interesting to see if the temps differ?
I would also like to know what the differance is

Technically the primary cooling is on the radiator which is supposed to suck cold air in the front and blow that out the back
Which the fans implement when there is not enough air flow

The amount of cooling coming from air running over the engine should be minimal in such cases in anycase

Now don't get me wrong if the factory fited or aftermarket sump guard stopped the air from flowing then it would be a issue.

But I suspect that would generally have been picked up by Subaru intially

So would be interesting to see the equivilant results without the sump guard

Maybe 3 different tests would have worked best

1 factory fitted plastic sump guard
2 aftermarket metal sump guard similar to Loop's aluminuim ones
3 no sump guard

Then on the same the test would probably have to have 3 sections
1 slow crawling off road driving
2 city traffic
3 open highway

That would then give a better result

If only we could now call Mythbusters to do full test :P
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

September 28, 2017, 08:46:58 AM
Reply #13

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email

Have not. Have not had the opportunity to find a safe (from damage) road/sandpit to try.
Luckilly it's fairly easy to remove, even in sand.....

Some pics just taken

[attachment deleted by admin]
Brackenfell, W'Cape

September 28, 2017, 08:50:31 AM
Reply #14

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email

If only we could now call Mythbusters to do full test :P

They tend to blow things up............
I still need my Foz
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

V: Air over the engine probably does "nothing", and I'm not concerned about that.
My concern is the air no being able to escape, and being sucked back into the front of the radiator....
Brackenfell, W'Cape