Author Topic: New Tyres: 215/70-16 - Falken AT  (Read 593 times)

April 06, 2017, 10:48:11 AM
Read 593 times

walkaboutboertjie

• View Profile
    • Email
OK, I can finally wade into this debate - after having asked the question.  Was torn on whether to go to a higher profile - but my dad has been running 70's on his SG for many years now on the farm.  But rubbing issues on my SH, and whether it fill fit in the wheel well (without some rubber mallet cosmetic surgery) was always nagging at the back of my mind. 

The Continental 4x4 World Contacts were shod - and with a trip to the Transkei coming up - I wanted peace of mind, and finally decided to pull the trigger on the 70's.  Really wanted Wrangler AT/SA, but at R 10 500 for 5 (including fitment and balancing), I decided to go for a cheaper alternative, and in came the Falken AT.  I was speculative about the tyre, but some reviews on the 4x4 forum on them put my mind at ease.   

Ordered them from Errol's Tyres (great service!!) and they were delivered the next day at the fitment centre.  All in it was R 8 394, so saving me R 2 106, which might go towards a 25mm lift kit rather.   :)

Had them fitted yesterday, and will attach the photos to show clearances, and the tread pattern of the tyre.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:51:08 AM by walkaboutboertjie »

April 06, 2017, 10:53:30 AM
Reply #1

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Looks very decent. They are priced very well!

Whats the road noise like?

I'm waiting on my 215 70 BF K02's which should be here in about a week.

Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 06, 2017, 11:12:22 AM
Reply #2

walkaboutboertjie

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Stev0

The wife's car is the city run around - the Forester is mainly for weekend camp outings and long trips exploring - but to answer your question:

Driving back from the fitment centre I could not discern any difference to road noise, but getting out on the highway tomorrow for the Transkei trip will tell.  The contis squealed terribly - but might have been exacerbated due to the tyre compound hardening with age.  I did do some pretty aggressive cornering yesterday to test, and absolutely no squealing.   :D

I was a bit worried about low-end grunt with the higher profile (heavier tyre?!) - but I cannot feel any difference as yet, at altitude it might come to play though, will wait and see.  So very limited experience with the tyre as of yet, but will add more feedback after the Transkei trip. 

And if it gets wet in the next week in Transkei - I will be very thankful for the new shoes - access road to where we are going as attached.         

[attachment deleted by admin]