Author Topic: 2005 Outback - is it SLS and can I make it normal shocks?  (Read 684 times)

April 10, 2017, 08:20:25 AM
Read 684 times

Klipdokter

• View Profile
I've been checking some of the previous posts and I still have quite a bit of confusion. I have a 2005 3.0R Outback and the suspension feels a bit saggy. I asked at Somerset West when it was serviced in December and they think it's still fine, but it feels to bouncy for me, so I'm replacing, one way or another.

I've attached the qoute. As you can see, it's rather pricy. So the questions:
1. Is this SLS? One of the previous threads said Outbacks don't have SLS, but the price suggests otherwise.
2. Can I do the same normal shock replacement option that people do for the Foresters (i.e. getting new coils and then standard shocks)?
3. Has anybody ever tried importing full aftermarket shocks/struts/everything that goes with it? (like some people have imported drive shafts, etc.). Any suggestions on e-vendors that I can buy from?
4. Any suggestions on where to buy aftermarket parts? (preferably Gauteng or thereabouts, it will be the easiest for me to get the couriers to pick it up in those areas and bring it here)

Thanks

April 10, 2017, 02:47:32 PM
Reply #1

FozzieDriver

• Blue Wasabi

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe give Wayne Hay a call and see if he can help?
Forester XT 2008 MT
VF48, STi IC, 76mm Bell mouth TNT Free flow, GFB EBC, Coolboost WMI, WHP built and Chett Tuned. Blue Wasabi V3.0

April 10, 2017, 03:34:59 PM
Reply #2

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this just Struts without springs or top mounts?

4 hours?
Thats 20 bolts and a few clips in the rear. They must be perfectionists.

Cape Town

April 10, 2017, 08:49:31 PM
Reply #3

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Ek het baie minder as dit betaal vir my volledige stel Pedders by hulle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

April 17, 2017, 09:57:53 PM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
3.0r does have sls. It's a fat chunky shock. I went to kyb excel g shocks all round for just under 4K.

You can use the same springs.

April 20, 2017, 07:41:34 AM
Reply #5

Klipdokter

• View Profile
3.0r does have sls. It's a fat chunky shock. I went to kyb excel g shocks all round for just under 4K.

You can use the same springs.

That definitely sounds like the way to go then. Any suggestions where I can get them? Thanks

April 20, 2017, 08:19:11 AM
Reply #6

Klipdokter

• View Profile
I just contacted KYB directly, hopefully I can go that route.

April 20, 2017, 01:09:48 PM
Reply #7

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
I contacted them directly and they put me onto someone else....still waiting.
You can try Midas, best drive, diesel electric and maybe hi-Q
Cape Town

April 20, 2017, 07:39:23 PM
Reply #8

Klipdokter

• View Profile
I searched a bit and it turns out Tyres and More in Kimberley sell them. They were very helpful. The quote now is ~R5800. I assume the difference up from R4k is the exchange rate? I'll ask Midas as well, but the local branch is a bit slow to respond.

April 22, 2017, 03:20:48 PM
Reply #9

Klipdokter

• View Profile
About R4200 now from Midas. The price from Tyres and More included fitment. It will probably cost me quite a bit to have it done here as well, but but it's not worth it for me to drive all the way to Kimberley (and then spend 3-4 hours in a mall) for that.

Now I just have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to get it from Japan.

April 24, 2017, 10:54:38 AM
Reply #10

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Did you try the pedders guys?

Steveo - contact Steve on 083600017six
Cape Town

April 26, 2017, 10:50:10 AM
Reply #11

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
The KYB is a good shock and an big improvement over stock. As previously mentioned you can get them from Midas.

July 04, 2017, 04:52:09 PM
Reply #12

Klipdokter

• View Profile
So I finally got the KYB's from Midas and the shock mounts from Subaru Jhb and I waited a bit to let the shock replacement coincide with the 262,500km service. I just got the car back and it definitely handles better.

BUT: It's definitely sagging in the back. Any thoughts? Steve0 you said you used the same coils? I didn't change coils, but it seems now that I need to look at what coils are available. I didn't try Pedders, hoping for a bit cheaper option. I really hope I don't have to go the complete Pedders route to get the back level again.

July 11, 2017, 03:30:33 PM
Reply #13

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
If you fit Pedders you must take the car to a GOOD wheel alignment center. Mine was at four centers but was still pulling to the left. While in Kimberley last week had Trevors Wheel and Tyre look at it.  Vehicle was originally set up for driving on the right hand side of road by the company in Somerset West that did the initial alignment.  :-[. Will advise Danie next week when I take her in for the last work on 100 000 service.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

July 11, 2017, 08:54:14 PM
Reply #14

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I will have a set of SLS shocks for you. Front and rear...