Author Topic: Geolandar vs other - fuel consumption  (Read 1087 times)

April 22, 2017, 06:36:33 PM
Read 1087 times

andrew74

• View Profile
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum but looks like there is some great advice here. I recently bought myself a 2014 2.5x Lineartronic and now need to replace the tyres. I have the G91 (225/60/17) Geolandars fitted currently and don't have any complaints but they seem pretty pricey to replace...

1) I have heard that changing the OEM tyres could drastically reduce consumption - is this true and if so, how bad can it be?

2) Any suggestions for good alternatives? Most driving is on-road but do venture onto dirt roads +-20% of the time

April 23, 2017, 06:48:17 AM
Reply #1

Fudmucker

• View Profile
Four Dunlop AT3's in 215/60/17, new valves and balancing + wheel alignment = R7 829-37.
Yesterday at Autotyre Menlyn (Pretoria)
Like me, life is too short to be taken too seriously!

September 20, 2019, 12:28:37 PM
Reply #2

fozguy

• View Profile
Hello all

I'm also curious about whether different tyres (I currently have Geolanders fitted) would affect fuel consumption? And how much if anyone is in the know?

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum but looks like there is some great advice here. I recently bought myself a 2014 2.5x Lineartronic and now need to replace the tyres. I have the G91 (225/60/17) Geolandars fitted currently and don't have any complaints but they seem pretty pricey to replace...

1) I have heard that changing the OEM tyres could drastically reduce consumption - is this true and if so, how bad can it be?

2) Any suggestions for good alternatives? Most driving is on-road but do venture onto dirt roads +-20% of the time

November 21, 2019, 06:34:16 PM
Reply #3

westcoaster

• Global Moderator

• Mud lover!

• Personal Text
    Mud lover!
    • View Profile
    • Email
The rumour about consumption is... uhm, garbage.  But that is also just my opinon, just like the rumour  ;).  Have a look where the comment comes from and vested interests that are likely at play.
Road tyres aren't THAT different from each other. Your driving style on the day is much more likely to affect consumption.  So measuring the difference is also going to be subjective.
If you have a turbo model and like surprising GTis, thought about fuel consumption is best left alone!

When you go from a road tyre to an AT tyre (as I did), then yes, you may see a change. The AT tyres are thicker, thus heavier and the tread pattern not ideal for tar (more resistance).
In my case, even that change was minor wrt consumption.

From personal experience (and if you look around on the forum, many others felt the same), the Geolanders (G91 / G95) that came on new (SG/SH, 2009-2013) Foresters were arguably OK... if you drive like a granny and stay on the tar. Decent road holding, but tendency to squeal around corners and really weak sidewalls...
Based on 9 years in 2 Foresters and lots of tyre user review research, I'd suggest move away from the G91/G95s if you have the same. LOTS of other, better options (Goodyear ATs did not rate well at my last research in 2016).
All depends on your priorities.  But fuel consumption impact will be minor.
Current: S-edition 2011 Steel Silver (S-exy young thing) - Forged, Chett tjooned, 76mm s/s wrapped DP, King Springs, 225/60/17 G012s, Sump & AT guards, cheap mud flaps, HID fogs, LED parks.
Ex:        2.5X man 2010 Pearl White (Dirty Girl) - LSS lift, 235/60/16 G012s, Sump guard, HIDs and more..