Author Topic: 2012 FB25 Knocking sound on cold start  (Read 593 times)

July 27, 2017, 08:44:56 PM
Read 593 times

wBrenkman

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys,

I bought this car new in 2012. It currently has 80,000km on the clock and every service was done by Subaru Johannesburg.
From day one I've heard a knocking sound when starting the engine, especially from cold and more so when the oil level is on the low side.

Recently I had the car at a local mechanic to help with a fan belt and he mentioned that he is very worried about that noise. I had the car serviced at Subaru Johannesburg all it's life and they never said a word. I just assumed that the sound was normal. I once asked the service representative at Subaru and he said it was normal.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried? Recently I've been hearing the noise more regularly and not just on cold starting.

Thanks for the help
Werner

July 27, 2017, 09:14:05 PM
Reply #1

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Knocking in the engine means 1 of 2 things:
There's someone in there who wants out  ;D ;D ;D ;D,
Or bearings are not hppy.

I have knocking on my EJ2015 (360k km), but mainly when the oil is low.

I had valve noise, but that was on Fuchs and WM Penn oil. Then I switched to LM, and now I'm on Shell HX7: no noisy valves.
With a new engine like yours, there should not be knocking.

I would say get another opinion from Wayne or Chett, and then throw it back at the agents.
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

July 28, 2017, 10:50:31 AM
Reply #2

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you know what oil is in there?
I would suggest, not recommend as I have no experience, you try a bottle of LM cerratec if you are less than halfway from a service.
I also think you should get a written confirmation from the dealership that this is not an issue as when things do go wrong, you may have some recourse with the ombudsman.
Cape Town

July 28, 2017, 06:51:37 PM
Reply #3

Speedy

• View Profile
    • Email
How long does the noise last for? My old Audi had piston slap when cold, warmed up and the noise would disappear. Drove it for ages like tht.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July 28, 2017, 09:51:04 PM
Reply #4

Andrew Legg

• View Profile
Definitely get it in writing and definitely get a second opinion. No relatively new car should have slap, or at least that's what I would think!

August 10, 2017, 10:09:19 PM
Reply #5

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
.......... No relatively new car should have slap, ......
Nor any woman.

The car is a she, is she not????
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape