Author Topic: Change from Forester to OB? Sand performance any good?  (Read 946 times)

June 12, 2017, 08:08:39 AM
Read 946 times

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi everyone,  so I've driven Foresters for a while, latest being 2.0l XT (latest gen).
Thinking of changing to 3.6 OB 2017 model as I like it's more premium finish, larger space and ride on tar.

My question is how good is it in soft sand like typical Mozambique soft sand, Namibia and could it handle some of Botswana?

Extremely confident and happy with Foresters off-road capability and realize OB similar but slightly lower ride height and longer overhangs. My major use traveling is Moz, Namibia, Zambia etc. not looking for rock climbing abilities but must handle reasonably thick sand.

Please let me know, as owners, your real world experiences with the OB and sand.

Thanks
John

June 12, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
Reply #1

jbh

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi John,
From my experience with Outbacks as well as the older lower Foresters your only concern should be that you may get "hung up" in thick sand that has been dug up or has deep tracks. Your wheel base is longer and your ride height lower. As you mentioned your nose may also scrape in dunes.
The engine and gearbox combination is a blast.
jbh
Southernmost point of Africa
Ex:2003 Forester XSel Dual Range
Now: 2009 XS Dual Range. LSS sump guard.
Pedders Suspension. Aluminium heavy duty Radiator.

June 12, 2017, 11:33:17 AM
Reply #2

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
I've driven both, back to back and the the OB is 10 times the car the Forester will ever be.  Weg or or Wegry even did a West Coast trip up to Hondklipbay with the new 3.6.

The Outback is more refined, has more space, better economy and drives much better over rough terrain.

Do it.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

June 12, 2017, 11:50:22 AM
Reply #3

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Doesnt the new outback have a 60\40 power split biased to the front wheels?
Cape Town

June 12, 2017, 02:15:46 PM
Reply #4

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Doesnt the new outback have a 60\40 power split biased to the front wheels?
They all do. its the new CVT.
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

June 12, 2017, 04:58:05 PM
Reply #5

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the feedback and Steve you certainly sound certain that its the way to go.

June 13, 2017, 05:31:14 PM
Reply #6

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
I own a 2011 Outback 2.5 CVT.
You will not go wrong with an Outback. I drive everywhere, and I live in Mozambique. I have driven from Vilanculos through Pafuri to SA, I just completed a trip through the Tankwa, I have even driven the Bwabwata National Park in the Caprivi.
Sand ability is amazing.
I have however fitted an aluminium engine bash plate as well as a 25mm lift kit.
If I were you, I would get the bash plate as soon as possible. Then see how it goes, perhaps later fit a lift kit.
To be honest, I only fitted the lift kit because I do a lot of off road and gravel as we tend to find all the back roads and off the beaten track stuff.

June 13, 2017, 05:40:36 PM
Reply #7

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Starfire69,

That's great to hear. I was hoping to get that type of feedback!
I will look at cover plates and suspension later if I need it. Did you get the protector plates locally?

I ordered the vehicle today, so as long as banks don't get silly with interest rate it's a go!

Very excited!

June 13, 2017, 05:42:43 PM
Reply #8

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Aah I see you other post with the skid plates mentioned and the not so good fit.

June 21, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
Reply #9

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok pulled the trigger on 3.6 Outback. Very excited! Dark grey colour for a change. I know more washing but so bored with white which is what all my cars seem to be!

Looking forward to a large displacement motor again for a change.

June 21, 2017, 03:12:47 PM
Reply #10

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Awesome news.
Keep us updated.

Any details about car? The more i see them, the more I am thinking of switching but I wont go for the 3.6.
I am also really considering an Amarok I have my eye on, there is just something about bakkies that does it for me.
Cape Town

June 21, 2017, 04:45:20 PM
Reply #11

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
I liked the Amarok too, if I was to do a bakkie that would clearly be it. It seems to win all sorts of challenges much to the disgust of some of the other brands. The new V6 must be awesome but cant ever afford that!

I looked at it now while deciding but felt rear seats still very compromised and dash and finishes still very "hard". I'm getting soft obviously!

Other problem I had while looking around(Jeep/Toyota/VW/Audi) was the trade ins from other manufactures were close on R100 to R150 000 less than what Subaru offer, so seems I'm kinda stuck in the brand, which is ok as I really think they are good value.

June 21, 2017, 04:51:40 PM
Reply #12

25boxer

• View Profile
    • Email
More vehicle details are difficult at this stage...as if its the 3.6 there is only one pretty much fully loaded model. I did add a tow bar and back bumper step.

The only thing missing for me, and I do use them, is on-board Nav. I had it fitted to my Forester (Caska  model) which was ok not great, so not too much loss and back to using the old iPhone I guess.

The interface system is supposed to mirror your phone on its screen, so you would in effect use google maps and "project" it onto the screen. but for some reason Subaru SA cant seem to get it to work on any of the new models. Something not compatible with something this end I'm told...pity as otherwise apparently a half decent Harmon Kardon play system in the car.

June 22, 2017, 10:06:49 AM
Reply #13

thebus

• View Profile
    • Email
Oddly enough I was next to an outback on my way home. Havent researched enough to know which model it was but, I am going to sell the Foz and look at an outback.
I like the ride height and the aerodynamic look. May not like the long bonnet but can make up my mind on a test drive.
Cape Town

June 27, 2017, 10:54:00 PM
Reply #14

Starfire69

• View Profile
    • Email
I have an Amarok and Outback. Though the Amarok is one amazing pick-up and no other brand of pick-up compares, it is not an Outback. Yes the Outback does not have low range and the articulation of a pick-up, and cannot climb rocks as well as a proper 4X4, it still goes much further than you would think, and in comfort.