Author Topic: Head gaskets blown  (Read 997 times)

July 13, 2017, 03:59:28 PM
Reply #15

Homer

• View Profile
    • Email
As per Berndp's comment about dirt, this is a pic of the other side of the water pump, And yes, when the water started running out rapidly and I suspected head gaskets, I poured in this "magic" stuff in a bottle that was meant to have sealed the gaskets again.

Needless to say, it made no difference and simply spewed back out all over the engine bay, after I opened the radiator cap.

Timing belt kits are available at spares shops but only on later models so I would have to go back to OEM for that lot.

Feels like I am going to be replacing a whole bunch of parts, something I was hoping to avoid >:(

[attachment deleted by admin]

July 14, 2017, 06:31:43 AM
Reply #16

Garrsie

• View Profile
    • Email
Timing belt kits are available at spares shops but only on later models so I would have to go back to OEM for that lot.

Feels like I am going to be replacing a whole bunch of parts, something I was hoping to avoid >:(

Try have a look on Amazon for the Gates timing belt and pump kit. Good price and good quality kit.
2006 Forester XT, Wiseco pistons, 18"Koya lightweight wheels, Bridgestone re002, VF48, '07 STi IC, 76mm exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Mishimoto inlet pipe, Phenolic intake spacers, Gizmo Electronic Boost Controller, TGV deletes. BC RA Coilovers, Brembo big Calipers, PB RS 326mm Discs, Coolboost WMI

August 07, 2017, 12:25:07 PM
Reply #17

Homer

• View Profile
    • Email
Update: I have now removed the heads and the gasket on the passenger side is damaged. So just as well I did take them apart. Did a quick look at tolerances on the surface and there is some warping, although not much. Now it makes sense to have them machined.

I took a bash at sanding them with 80 grit paper, but gave up very quickly when I noticed how scratched they got.

Now to find an engineering shop that is reasonably priced. :)

August 07, 2017, 01:52:31 PM
Reply #18

LoopSoosStroop

• View Profile
I've always used JR Cylinder Heads in Wynberg, Sandton.
2007 XT AT
Midrand - Gauteng

August 07, 2017, 02:11:21 PM
Reply #19

sav

• View Profile
I took a bash at sanding them with 80 grit paper,
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:37:47 PM by sav »
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

August 08, 2017, 08:02:32 AM
Reply #20

Homer

• View Profile
    • Email
I've always used JR Cylinder Heads in Wynberg, Sandton.

Thanks for the info