Author Topic: Big Tire Thread  (Read 17116 times)

April 22, 2014, 09:05:48 AM
Reply #30

Stev0

• Administrator

• View Profile
    • Email
Jeep Commander CRD - GDE Hot Tune
ex Prodrive Xt, X, XT, WRX STI, Outback 3.0R

April 22, 2014, 09:39:54 AM
Reply #31

sav

• View Profile
The tyres or getting stuck? :D

Both :P
LOL! Tyres on previous page. Stuck - still waiting for my ego to grow back. :D
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

May the Forester be with you...

April 22, 2014, 11:09:45 AM
Reply #32

berndp

• View Profile
    • Email
Subaru Forester 2005 2.5 Xsel
Always looking for a tar free "road"
Brackenfell, W'Cape

April 22, 2014, 03:37:31 PM
Reply #33

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Actually stuck or just unable to get up the hill?

Yes there is definitely limits to the foresters but I found it quite decent at climbing hills but it obviously depends on the surface
2007 2.5XT Manual (and boy did I have to search for manual one)

April 22, 2014, 03:40:51 PM
Reply #34

sav

• View Profile
Actually stuck or just unable to get up the hill?

Yes there is definitely limits to the foresters but I found it quite decent at climbing hills but it obviously depends on the surface
A bit of both actually - wasn't able to climb the hill because of the surface - small marble like stones. The car rolled back on them halfway up and got the towbar stuck at the bottom. Couldn't go up, and couldn't go back either so pretty much stuck-stuck I guess?   >:( At least I've learned something.
2007 XT Premium Sportshift (Decat, VF48 @ 1.2 bar, STi TMIC, Chett tjooned, BBK, coilovers, etc etc eish!)

April 23, 2014, 07:14:13 AM
Reply #35

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
yep hanging up the tow bar on downhill decent is common 4x4 problem

April 23, 2014, 07:18:31 AM
Reply #36

sav

• View Profile
yep hanging up the tow bar on downhill decent is common 4x4 problem
Okay, now I don't feel so bad anymore. :D I had removed the tow hook piece that slides out before the trip but the square tube part was pretty firmly planted. On the bright side, it probably protected the bumper and other bits.

April 23, 2014, 07:28:19 AM
Reply #37

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
yep that is my way of seeying it too
realistically you would be amazed about how many serious 4x4's have gotten stock when unable to do a steep ascent and then reversing onto their tow hooks that stick out

the trick is to change the alignment by turning slightly just before hitting the ground so you don't hit squarely
but it is also a bit dangerous because depending on the angle you could potentially cause a roll over so you have to be very careful and aware of what you are doing

the safer and easier way is to pack two rocks where your wheels start to climb to decrease the angle
so if you come down again it will keep the towbar off the ground
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:33:25 AM by Veneficus »

April 23, 2014, 07:35:47 AM
Reply #38

sav

• View Profile
That is very good advice, thank
 you.

I had to turn to the left slightly because the "road" narrows towards the top but as I got halfway up there was just zero traction on the little stones and it started rolling back. That was a hard lesson learned  and I won't make that mistake again - if you can barely walk it without slipping then the car is probably also not going to make it.

April 23, 2014, 07:49:10 AM
Reply #39

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Well it depends on the car (and what it is equipped with)
Proper digger tires will climb that sort of thing

I will say that a Forester with good driver will go 95% of the places most proper 4x4's will go
but the trick is to know the limits and realistically our Foresters aren't designed to be full blown off roaders so we have to accept those limits too :) (I struggle with that part)

funny thing though about 3 weeks ago we were near Masuna and my wife and I went for short drive on the one farm
came to small river crossing and proceeded across and it did not feel like much and was no effort

next day one of the guys there (local) and I was driving through same stretch with his land cruiser (workhorse)
we get there and he looks at this stretch and he engages low range and drive across
now I'm not saying the LC was struggling at all but the crossing felt many times worse than it actually was with the LC compared to the Forester

April 23, 2014, 08:12:06 AM
Reply #40

sav

• View Profile
Well it depends on the car (and what it is equipped with)
Proper digger tires will climb that sort of thing

I will say that a Forester with good driver will go 95% of the places most proper 4x4's will go
but the trick is to know the limits and realistically our Foresters aren't designed to be full blown off roaders so we have to accept those limits too :) (I struggle with that part)

funny thing though about 3 weeks ago we were near Masuna and my wife and I went for short drive on the one farm
came to small river crossing and proceeded across and it did not feel like much and was no effort

next day one of the guys there (local) and I was driving through same stretch with his land cruiser (workhorse)
we get there and he looks at this stretch and he engages low range and drive across
now I'm not saying the LC was struggling at all but the crossing felt many times worse than it actually was with the LC compared to the Forester
That is true and I guess your'e going to get stuck once or twice finding those limits, I was lucky to have somebody close to pull me out.

Interesting about the river crossing, just goes to show that it's not always black & white.

April 23, 2014, 09:31:07 AM
Reply #41

sav

• View Profile

This is where I got stuck.

April 23, 2014, 10:55:39 AM
Reply #42

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Where do you live Sav :)
I'd like to come try that one for some reason I think the Forester can do it

I think she may even do it going up the right
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:58:16 AM by Veneficus »

April 23, 2014, 11:02:10 AM
Reply #43

sav

• View Profile
Haha I stay in Centurion but that was at a 4x4 track just outside Nylstroom. We got bored of driving on the farm so thought we'd give it a try.
The picture doesn't do it any justice, the part on the right is very deep.

I reckon with a bit more ground clearance and the right tyres it could indeed be possible. Traction is the main thing stopped me.

April 23, 2014, 11:07:52 AM
Reply #44

Veneficus

• Global Moderator

• Windg@t XT driver

• View Profile
    • Email
The dirt and surface there look very very similar to what you have at De wildt
A little bit of speed and keeping your foot in it (so you keep on letting her pull even when spinning a bit) and I suspect she could climb it (obviously from very limited data on picture)

But yes I think there needs to be another Gauteng get together for some off road driving sometime